Monarch Journey South this year.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

In the Spring this year, due to whatever reason on their Journey North, during their migration back to North America I didn't get to see any Monarch at that time. As the weather was becoming cooler, on Sept. 7th I discovered couple dozens of the Monarch larvae, 1st instars, without having seen the butterflies passing through. Any how, I was happy that the travelers have left my garden with their future offsprings. Today I've several 5th instars that are about to pupate.

Note: currently I'm having problem uploading pix. I'll provide some pix for the thread as the system will allow me to down load pix then.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Success! My 1st chrysalis from the mentioned monarch larvae this year.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sadly, the very 1st chrysalis (pictured above) was damaged by some sort of predator. Over the weekend, I was surprised having found another chrysalis in the garden. I hope that this one will make it and joins in the journey south.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

1. Like these Canadian Geese to their journey South...
2. As the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds prepare to embark on its journey ...
3. My Monarch progeny prepares to spread its wings. (that was yesterday - I missed its eclosure -- but it did eclose successfully when I was away from the garden).
4. I was meant to at least witness ONE that about to eclose. I found another newly eclosed chrysalis nearby, and one that is about to eclose this morning.
5. The newly eclosed progeny about to spread its wings. Yeah!

The end!

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are great shots, Lily_love. Congrats. Such a beautiful sight! ♥

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cville_Gardener.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.