Hot pepper jelly

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

I made a batch of hot pepper jelly last weekend and hubby loves it. I have a bunch of peppers that I just threw into the freezer as I didn't have time previously to do anything with them. Can I make jelly out of the frozen peppers? I never thought about jelly when I froze them.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I have several pepper jelly recipes that I make all the time. I freeze my peppers in small baggies in the amount called for in the recipe, for example, 1/2 cup or 1 cup sizes. The frozen peppers work great.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Thanks, jomoncon!! I think we will be eating lots of hot pepper jelly now that I know how to make it. Should warm us up on those cold winter days!!! ;)

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

If you have any habaneros, the habanero gold big batch recipe found at http://bigblackdogs.net/by-any-other-name-habanero-gold-jelly/ is amazing. It's the top seller at my farmers market stand.
Jo-Ann

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Sounds yummy...I'll be making some of this.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Here I sit with jalapeno's in a bucket outside my door. Not sure what I am waiting on to use these, but freezing - then using later (jam) is by far better than letting them go to waste. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll put on my gloves and clean them and pop them in the freezer.

Mumbai, India

Thanks. For more yummy food dishes find PCS, one of the best cooking classes in Mumbai, at http://palateculinarystudio.com/contact-us

This message was edited Feb 13, 2017 4:54 AM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2017 4:56 AM

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hot Pepper Jelly sounds really good, but how do you eat it? With what?

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's a southern classic eaten as a snack or appetizer mostly and paired with either cream cheese or cheddar. Other cheeses work too. It's great as a glaze for chicken or pork and can be eaten with lamb instead of the traditional mint jelly condiment.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much. It sounds so yummy. Now, I'm hungry! :)
I bought a "very" small jar of strawberry hot pepper jelly a couple of months ago because it sounded good. I haven't used it yet because I wasn't quite sure what to do with it.
I've put a cranberry concoction on brie and that is good. So, I figured the pepper jelly would be good also.
I may have to plant some jalapenos and freeze them for winter time and make hot pepper jelly.

Some people cheat and heat store bought apple jelly. I've never tried this. Don't know how the vinegar affects the re-set. You need the vinegar to balance the sweet. It's not the same if it's just hot and sweet. It should be hot & sweet & sour. :)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Sounds so good.

Birder, did you try your strawberry hot pepper jelly?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

No :) I'm saving it! What for I don't know.
Well, I will say we've been on this diet that is basically a powdered substance you can fix in a drink or some sort of pattie. So, I've been sort of waiting to use it until I've lost some weight. :( I am loosing weight. I call it the Diet from Hell!! :)

Sounds like you could benefit from the Hot Pepper Jelly Diet. Try a big, fresh salad with a variety of raw vegetables and make a dressing of your strawberry pepper jelly diluted with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Really, weight loss goes best with creative calorie reconfiguring and shouldn't entail suffering.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Believe me, I've been suffering! :)
Salad sounds delicious.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I had a salad this evening with strawberries, goat cheese, lettuce and other stuff and used the strawberry jalapeno pepper jelly. quality balsamic vinegar and a good olive oil for salad dressing. Delicious!
I'd like to have a recipe for the strawberry jalapeno pepper jelly if anyone has it.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Me too, please!!

I've had several months of technical difficulties logging in but hope this helps...

Go to the National Center For Food Preservation website. That is where the Ball Canning Blue Book derives its recipes. On the left side you will see categories. Go to Jams and Jellies. Select a strawberry recipe (there are three). I prefer preserves, with just sugar, rather than the jams and jellies with pectin or gelatin. Make the recipe of your choice and add hot pepper in increments to your taste. Make sure to measure the amount so you can make adjustments next time. The same amount of peppers should work with other berries. I say make it to taste because using someone else's heat level preference might give you a lot of jars of product you don't want to eat. I also suggest making it slightly less hot than your preference because the product will get hotter as it sits and the pepper oil infuses. I find this to be true when making hot pickles and relishes too.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

May, wish I had this advice a week earlier. :( I made Strawberry Jalapeno Jelly last week. It called for a cup of jalapenos. So, I tried it; my jalapenos were bright red. I don't know if they get hotter or milder if they turn from green to red. The jelly did not set up, it's syrup vs. jelly. :( It is too hot for my taste buds. I am going to re-cook the jelly and add more strawberries along with liquid certo. I would like some advice on this process before I start over.
Here's what I did that may have been mistakes:
I put the jars in half pints some of them squatty some of the taller.
I brought the mixture to a boil for one minute.
Then, put it into jars and sealed.
Did a waterbath for ten minutes. But, when I put the jars in the water, it did not cover the jars for an inch above the jars as was stated in the recipe. My pan was not tall enough.
I also used a towel in the bottom which made the jars taller, but didn't have anything else to keep it off of the bottom of the pan.
My jelly/syrup sealed with all of the fruit rising to to the top. :(
So, I am asking WHY did my jelly not set up? I have made jelly for the first time ever twice this summer and both times my jelly is syrup. Edited to add: I grew jalapenos just for the strawberry jalapeno jelly. :(
I am not sure what my mistakes are. I did buy a deeper stockpot and I need to find some sort of rack for the bottom.
I need to learn so I can have better results in the future. Anyone have ideas?
Waiting to hear from you.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2017 8:07 AM

This message was edited Sep 1, 2017 12:37 PM

Not sure I can offer much help but here is something to look at. http://www.pomonapectin.com/jell/ I usually only make natural jams where sugar has been heated and reduced to make a thick mixture. If you had fruit rising, was your fruit thoroughly mashed or run through a food processor? Apples are naturally very high in pectin. If you want to avoid the expense of strawberries you might want to use apple juice and remake your jam into apple/strawberry.

It's important to make sure your jars have a solid inch of water to allow for water, and not a lot of air bubbles, circulating over the top of the lids. Remember, a sealed jar does not mean the food is safely canned with bacteria and mold killed. It only means a vacuum has formed due to the heat and pressure created in the jar and the temperature and pressure difference outside the jar. Do not reuse lids. However, this would not be the cause of lack of set.

You might have difficulty finding a rack for a pot that is not intended for canning. I like a restaurant twelve quart aluminum stock pot because they are tall and narrow. Good for smaller jobs. Mine is 81/2" in diameter and 101/2" tall. Walmart advertises something similar for under ten dollars though mine is heavy grade commercial and cost considerably more. It holds 4 qts or five pints and I don't know how many half pints. I use a dish cloth or wash cloth on the bottom of mine. For larger jobs I move to designated canners. They hold a lot but use a lot of water and take a long time to heat.

I'm not usually on Friday nights or Saturdays so if you have any questions it will have to wait. Good luck!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Glad I saw this thread. I have a veggie bin full of jalapenos and not much time with a loaded pear tree. In the freezer go the peppers which is where I've been stashing the okra. Thanks!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Umm, jalapeno pear jelly would be really good!

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

O.K. Birder here you are too - speaking of jalapeno pear jelly. Does this count - I made jalapeno pepper jam with Asian pear and Granny Smith Apples(for pectin) just recently. It turned out so well, I made a second batch. Sure is pretty.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Would you share your recipe, Brenda??

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, please share.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Ruth and Birder - Yes, I will share pepper jam recipe - though I may not make it the same each time but I use the same 4 cup (as you can read from the recipe), but it is simple and very good. It is like one of those end-of-the-garden jams. If I have the large crab apples, I use them for the pectin source, but this year I did not have the larger crabs so I bought two of the greenest looking Granny Smith apples. I use my blender with water for the chopping process of the apples, jalapeno, etc (smarter not harder you know). So I seeded the two Granny Smith apples and I seeded (but I didn't eliminate every seed) from the jalapeno peppers - depending on your heat tolerance. I mentioned that I used an Asian pear - that was part of the Granny Smith, jalapeno pepper filler to make 4 cups (and yes the 4 cups had liquid from where I used blender to chop apples/peppers/pear(if you want a pear), sometimes I use green tomatoes as part of this 4 cup - though you still need the pectin source. To the 4 cups of chopped- processed ingredients with liquid (that levels out 4 cups processed ingredients/liquid), I add three cups of sugar and I cup of cider vinegar. Cook on high (stirring several times) until it mounds on metal spoon or cooked down to about half, then I pour into my clean hot jelly jars and seal and turn upside down for about 5 minutes then flip back up. I don't water process, but suit yourself. I don't use a wooden spoon at all. This time I used red jalapenos mostly, so the color was great - green would have been fine and if you wanted it red, you could have added some red food coloring when it was about ready to pour up.

Again the ingredients are:

4 cups chopped (by blender) a mix of Granny Smith apples/jalapeno peppers
3 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar

Makes about 4 cups of "Pepper Jam"

Hope you can enjoy as much as we do.

Thumbnail by brendak654 Thumbnail by brendak654
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Lots of good information. Not only the recipe but the extras is what I really like. I've just started making jelly for the first time this year. I have enjoyed doing it but man, sometimes the recipes don't give you enough information for beginners. They assume you have been making jelly all along.
So, can you substitute pear for apple for the pectin? I made a recipe that called for green apples for the pectin and my jelly would not set up. Any idea what went wrong? It was more of a thick sauce instead of a jelly. I kept cooking it waiting for the jelly to coat the spoon. It never really did. I finally just took it off the stove. I cooked it for several hours. Maybe that was my downfall. "Maybe" it would have set up as it cooled. As you can see, I don't know what I'm doing. :(
Also, how many jalapeno peppers did you use? My peppers are really hot this year. I planted jalapeno peppers and Anaheim peppers the first for making jellies and the second for adding to my entrees etc. The Anaheims were so hot, I couldn't really use them in my entrees. Previously, I have grown the Anaheims and just chopped up the entire pepper seeds and all but this year they were too hot. I think it was either the dry, hot summer or perhaps it was from the seed I saved. From what I understand Anaheim's are heirlooms and are supposed to be that same pepper from year to year. So, perhaps it is the dry, hot summer we had. If someone has a suggestion, I'd appreciate your comments on the high heat of the Anaheims. I don't think I will plant the Anaheims next year. I will switch to Pablanos.
I think they are suppose to be more mild. Maybe the Anaheims are more mild now that the temperature has gone down and the moisture has increased. I must pick the rest of the peppers soon as they aren't doing real well anymore.
My mom made jelly when I was quite young, and I simply can't remember how she did it and sadly, she is gone now. So, I struggle a little bit trying to read between the lines on some of the recipes. So, thanks Brenda, for the extra information.

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Brenda, thanks so much for all the info. I love making jelly. One of my batches of hot pepper jelly seemed to leave all the pieces of jalapeno at the top of the jar instead of being mixed within the whole jar. Any idea why this would happen? Too much boiling or not enough? Even one of my batches of apple jelly didn't set up. You would think apple would set up reasonably easy. Yup, I find a way to mess it up... ;)
I need to make some this winter. I have wild plums and mulberries in the freezer for that purpose.
Thanks again
Ruth

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Birder - No, don't sub pears for apples. I know apples have pectin and I think it is in the tartness and the peelings. I don't think pears supply pectin. The recipe you made may not have cooked long enough. Hope you didn't peel the apples? The hotness of your peppers - I would Google that. Jalapeno is about as hot as I want though I sometimes grow chili peppers and string them for drying and use that way.

Birder - My surest way of making jam/jelly is using Surejell and following the recipe to the T. I even have saved some of the recipe papers that have came in the Surgel pac and I refer back to them. Guess you noticed I couldn't spell Surejel!!

Good luck on your jam making. I enjoy jams way better than jelly.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Ruth - Wow wild mulberries and wild plums. Sounds exciting and what beautiful colors you will get. Everyone at some point in time have jam and/or jelly that did NOT set up. As I mentioned when I was referencing Birder - I especially like to use Surejel (the pectin in the box). They give you good suggestions and they always instruck you to use their exact measurements on ingredients. I have made raspberry/blackberry/mulberry Jam - Yummy. I did not use straight mulberries, I mixed them. The mulberry stems didn't want to come off so I left that little quarter inch stem. I doubt you will find a recipe for mulberry, so do like I did by mixing the berries with like blackberry or raspberry and follow the berry recipe.

As for as your peppers floating to the top of the jar, that is why I like to turn my capped jar of jam upside down for about 5 minutes, then invert it back to finish sealing.

SD may not have Surejel, but they will have something compatible.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.