Covering paneling with wallpaper?

Mason, MI

Hi folks,
I'm wondering if any of you have experience covering paneling with that heavy, textured, paintable wallpaper thats out there? I'm thinking of giving it
(the wallpaper method) a try in the "family room"
area of our old farmhouse's kitchen.
It's too dark in there for me!
Thanks for your help,
Melissa

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

don't know about wallpaper, but you can paint it. Buy the oil based Kilz, give it at least one good coat, and then paint.

(Zone 8a)

Hey Oscar,

you don't need to kilz it...just paint it...I did or you can sand it lightly so the paint adheres to it...which I didn't do and a scratch will take off the paint easily and touch ups are likely!

Tig...I thought kilz was just for covering stains and smoke and stuff!

Hope this helps!
Rebecca

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

kilz is a great base coat for things like paneling. I just redid the bath, and our doors were slick, not real wood. I put one light coat of kilz, and the paint is sticking great. I've done it before, and if you barely nicked the paint, it came off. I also finally got permission from my DH to do something I'd wanted to do forever. We have cheap counters in our home (early 90's mobile home). Well, I put down oilbase kilz and did a faux marble finish and it is just beautiful. No way that any kind of paint would have stuck to that without the kilz. I kilz everything, especially wallpaper. (now I have to contact the company and see how much I get for this commercial:)

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I have used the textured wallpaper and Just loved it! The one we used has a swirled stucco look to it and we painted it too! it looked great and really changed the den from a dark cavern into a light and airy looking room. it hides cracks from earthquakes so it should do great over paneling.

Mason, MI

Zanymuse:
What kind of "prep work" did you have to do
(to the paneling) before you papered it?

TiG: I've been thinking of Faux painting my countertop, too!
was it hard to do? And, does it hold up
under normal kitchen use?
I've seen it done on some of the decorating shows on TV,
but I'm a little "chicken" to try it myself.

Thank you everyone for helping!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

We scrubbed it down with a degreasr and hung the paper. The little groves in the paneling did not get filled or spackled and did not show when the job was done. But if the grooves on yours are deep you may want to spackle them first.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I did my guest bath counter. I'll let you know how it holds up, I want to do my kitchen ones too, but did the bath as the test piece. It was super easy, and great fun.

Memphis, TN

My mother did this years ago and it looks great, can;t see the lines of anything. She has also repapered over the paper.

Rutherfordton, NC(Zone 7a)

I wall-papered one paneled room - painted another (yes, use Kilz first). Turned out I liked the painted room much better. Why not paint and use wallpaper border? Not so much trouble to change borders.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.