Couple more beauties

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

They are out and about in this beautiful weather.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

AS you said Beautiful !!!

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Were you looking for IDs? Number 1 & 2 are of the Question Mark with fall coloring. Numbers 3 & 4 are of a Common Buckeye.

Nice photos!

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

2gardenkate, thanks for verification on id. I am new at this butterfly thing, so can use all help I can get.

My one question concerns the one your id as a Question Mark. The sources I used suggest that the this is not QM but a very similar one: Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma

http://www.gardenswithwings.com/butterfly/Eastern%20Comma/index.html

note the reference in text to "similar"

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Please check out my source and click on the photo more than half way down on the right side-

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Polygonia-interrogationis

There is a difference in coloration in the spring and fall broods.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

This is where a photo of the butterfly's "underside" would clear up the confusion instantly. The ventral side (underside) of the Question Mark's wing is where you would find the "question mark" or "comma" (in a Comma) marking. Part of IDing butterflies in the field is looking on both top (dorsal) and bottom (ventral) sides of the wings.

Sorry, I can't seem to explain this as simply as I'd like to.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2013 11:11 AM

This message was edited Sep 30, 2013 11:14 AM

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

gessieviolet, Question Marks and Commas can be identified using the dorsal (above) view by noting that the Question Mark has an extra dark spot on the Forewing above. Note yellow arrow indicates spot of interest. Commas do not have this spot on the forewing above.
Both are gorgeous butterflies and love sap and rotting fruit.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.