October 2013 Shorter Days & Longer Nights

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks happ, I try to keep them happy.

A 4 day work-week is nice green, I remember those.
On tv today they said canned stuff was found on the Steamboat Arabia earlier and the canning is probably still good if it was done right, that stuff lasts a long time. They really emphasized the doing it right part, the temperature and everything needs to be right and if it don't "pop" when you open it don't eat it.

On that 'Watermelon' Coleus, it varies on the redness of the foliage depending on how much light it gets. For example, this red one has gotten direct sunlight this Summer for about 4 hours a day. Whereas these rooted cuttings, (in the above photo) have been sitting under a shoplite with 1 bulb for about 2 months, (24/7, they're quite a bit greener right now unfortunately). With even less lite they get really pale, light green and long and leggy and unattractive. The more light the better, they get almost solid, dark red in alot of light, which is nice. One year, I had the same Coleus almost touching the bulbs on a shoplite over the Winter and it was dark red and thickly branched, it was very nice.

I brought in a few pots earlier, I plan to pot up those Coleus start/cuttings in that black flat. Hopefully, before the roots get all tangled up, if they're not already!

Did you know around 30,000 to 40,000 people die every year in the U.S - http://coldflu.about.com/od/flu/qt/fludeathsperyear.htm , from the flu, that's still only around .0003 of entire population here tho or something like that.

Miss Bartlett is funny! Miss happ, that's funny too, you got a new name, Miss happ!

Yes, pretty flowers gb, blooms now? That Canebrake rootling that you sent me is still green, I saw it today, but nothing yet above-ground.

My pot of white Mums need to get with the program and start blooming, time is running out! -

Watering in the cold would suck indeed!

The Elephant Ears are still blowing in the wind. -

Here's a Coleus 'Watermelon' that's under a shoplite and close to it and it is red! -

Here is one of my 2 Banana 'basjoo's, hope it likes that spot again this Winter, (I wish it would put on more height). The other 'Basjoo' is in a square pot that I got at Home Depot, I buried it a few inches in mulch because it's only in a pot.

Today, I put 4 striped Wondering Jew cuttings at the base of my Dieffenbachia. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Not much doing here , as to plants .
Lots of doing as to seeds .
1&3 ARE the cement pole set where it is to stay . Staked and cement to hold it there , didn't get it deep enough in the ground . mound the earth , mound the earth time ,,lol
#2 IS the Clematis cuttings , finally some with roots !!!

Love the pic's folks .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I don't enjoy when watering when it's cold either. Water always gets in the cracks and my hands get wet which makes me even colder. I didn't have to water today since it rained but later this week I'll be back on it. My supervisor would prefer I help with inventory but oh well. lol

I need to get my green peppers all picked tomorrow. I've been leaving them on the vine to try and get bigger. Got quite a few out there!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I took a lot of photos this past summer that I'm just getting around to posting. I'm working on more pear butter right now. The last batch got pretty loud when I pulled the jars from the canner. POP! POP! POP! I write the date & contents on the lids with a Sharpie.

Pear butter sounds sooo good right now! lol. Pear butter, apple butter, anything sweet and fresh. lol

Well, I'm already thinking of Christmas here. I want to exchange my garden suspenders for Christmas ones for work. Can't decide what I want. lol. I actually would love a snowman theme for all of winter but haven't found any yet. Everyone loves my suspenders!! LOL

My work suspenders. We're allowed to cut off apron strings and use suspenders if we prefer. I much prefer!! The strings bite into my shoulder.

http://www.sockwizard.com/gatosu.html

This message was edited Oct 15, 2013 6:48 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper what a great funny website. Love that stuff.

GB glad you took some pics I love seeing everyones gardens. I learn so much.

Ju those cement poles are really nice. The vines are going to be beautiful climbing up them. I love concrete and plants together.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh and Will I missed your question earlier) here in the pic , the plants from you ^_^

Happ the best part of having concrete and plants together is not having to replace either ^_^

pepper I'm going to look at that again, it's a mood booster , lol (i forgot , I wear suspenders) lol

This message was edited Oct 15, 2013 10:34 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Wow, they're doing well ju, glad to see it.

Good morning everyone. I thought last night I heard something about frost but none I can see, I was half asleep so I am glad we didn't have any, heck it may have been for later in the week. Cold and windy tho.

I forgot to pick my peppers last night so that's good we didn't get frost yet.

rofl...Pepper forgot to pick her peppers, so it is a good thing that the peppers Peppers didn't get picked will be perfect for pepper picking tonight. New Picking Peppers Peppers rhyme...too funny.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I like the rhyme , believe I remember doing myself earlier '

A pic of pepper plant '

Other flowers today ' snow next week in the forecast..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Thats a funny rhyme, Miss happ, but I thought the word pickled was in that old nursery rhyme?
Something like, "pepper picked a peck of pickled peppers!"

Pretty flowers ju, and so late in the season, very nice.

NO NO NO NO !!!!! NO Snow ! Even a dusting is too much too early....!!!!

You are right Will but I was just goofing around, it sounded funny when Pepper was talking about not picking her peppers.

Ju pretty pretty pics, hate the thought of blooms turning white and crunchy. I want to get some cuttings of my New Dawn rose and see if I can get it started and growing this winter. The 3 I did in my class, one is doing great, the other 2 were doing great and I saw new leaflets and thought oh I should take it out of the bottle, when I should of thought oh I should take the lid off the bottle and let it get use to less humidity....but I didn't took it out and wasn't a day later the new leaflets had turned crispy. So back in the bottle and I am waiting to see what happens.

I am still picking tomatoes. Not as fast cause they have really slowed down, think I will have some fried green ones tho.

I suppose the forecast could change but even this one has already changed today. Earlier today there were no lows of the 30's on this channel 41 seven day forecast. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

This know-it-all doesn't think it will frost for at least a week.

I agree with no frost. Will be close thou. lol

Happ, That was a good one. lol. I got them all picked this afternoon. My mom is taking them to work to give them to a bunch of guys who are spoiled rotten. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Does this mean that I pick my brain? Usually, you pick someone else's, right? LOL

It looks like we could get frost in a week or so. My garden is really producing right now with immature pods & fruit that need a little more time. I hope that I get to harvest more beans, okra, tomatoes, peppers, & squash before the frost kills everything.

Happ, I love fried green tomatoes. I also love green tomato chow-chow too.

I'm still making pear butter & need to get all the pears picked soon.

Got a big bloom going on.... ;)

Thumbnail by happgarden

Happ, all shrubs, trees and plants except for mums are now half off. When I left work (for the second time lol) I sitll had all 3 big crapes. They are now $49.50 each. Also have the Black Diamond series for $12.50 now. 3 gallon pot. Red, pink or white blooms. We've sold out of the red here.

That's a nice bud/bloom going on there, Miss happ. Half off but save your receipt!
I went to the retirement home where my grandparents are today and finally got the cactus dish thing that I made, to them. Bless my Grandma's heart, when I first get there and set it down on the table, she grabs the cactus like it's a ball! She never said ouch or anything! But everything was fine, cactus and grandmother were fine. She didn't pull it out or anything, I coulda died right there, afterward I was just thinking, "oh gawd". I went down to the gameroom and played my Grandpa a game of Chess. - 1st pic. I have this old photo of the cactus from last month. -

Oh.. I like the half off sales, I like the 75% off sales better though. The only problem with waiting for the 3/4 off sales is what you want might not still be for sale! I DON'T recommend waiting that long, trust me..lol

Green tomato chow chow, what's that?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

We won't be having the 75% off sales. lol. Whatever doesn't sell half off will be thrown away by the vendors. We don't have much left and this weekend will be even less.

Eeeek!! I was thinking of a different store! I see I got those 2 pics switched the wrong way!
Thrown away by the vendors huh?! I think I'd be getting in the trash if I worked there!

We would love to dumpster dive but we can't. lol. Store rules. Same at some other companies too. Probably a good thing anyways. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice blooms
nice chat
nice pic's and good times here Can't beat that ,,

What is the vendor , depending on where i am , I might go Dumpster Diving lol ^_^

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cross post lol , lol , lol ROFL !!! ^_^

Here's some stuff I got years ago when I went dumpster diving. Now, I might be able to get IN a dumpster but I don't know if I could get out!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/w4i0a/library/dumpster%20diving%20for%20trees?sort=4&page=1
Will

Dang that is sooo tempting but I would have to make room somewhere for them since it is so darn cold already I would be afraid they wouldn't heel in before hard cold weather. I know they would give my money back but I wouldn't want money and don't always carry the same plants year after year.

Oh Will I bet you about jumped thru the roof when she did that.... ;) Grandma's are pretty tough.

Saw little ice crystals and almost snow at lunch...yuck!

My bloom is still growing, not opening yet!

Yeah, when she was holding it like an apple, it was quite discouraging! I'm a little skeptical on how it will look in a couple months. But, I knew beforehand that giving them a gift like that was a gamble, I won't be upset if something funny happens to it. It probably costs only less than 5 dollars to put together anyway. Yeah, she is tough. She is over twice my age and I'm 46.

Haha.. in that photo up there of my Grandpa playing me Chess it appears that he's flipping me off!
That's how he moves his chess pieces sometimes though is all! lol I just wanted to get that out there in case he looked like a meanie to anybody! Actually, he is quite righteous, he is an ordained minister. It's funny, in that Chess game he was moving that rook with his middle finger unfortunately..lol I had some heat on his rook at the time from my queen and my bishop. His move was putting my queen in trouble with his middle finger! We ended up tying as we ran out of time before they went to dinner.

It has turned COLD! They're talking about 30 tomorrow nite. - http://fox4kc.com/weather/ That says 33 tomorrow nite but apparently they haven't updated it yet. They said 30 for a low tomorrow nite a while ago on the news here in Kansas City. And 28 for a low Wed. nite!
I have some stuff outside that is gonna have to feel some chill, like this Spiderplant. - pic #1

This garden spider is being good by being a wallflower during the day, I'm sure it spans the front porch with it's web at nite. - pic #2 Spiders are okay with me, except Brown Recluse spiders. I'll smash them every time I see them, they are poisonous and they'll mess you up. Anyway, see my trusty little camera by the spider? I keep a watch out, as everybody is out to get me! Just kidding, I just like to see if anybody is skulking around!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Boy, this pot of Mums better hurry on up and bloom! - pic #1

My Elephant Ears can't be too happy. I definitely don't want to kill the bulbs, just the foliage.
Does anyone know if I'm risking killing the bulbs? I'll go ahead and cut the foliage off and bring in the bulbs if I should.

Virginia Creeper has some awesome Fall color even if it just a Virginia Creeper. - pic #3

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I went ahead and got my Elephant Ears. I've had my ears for years! I don't buy new ears every year like some do. As of this writing, the ears are safely in the house! Can anyone tell me if I need to get all that dirt off? Will the dirt still there kinda trigger the ears to go ahead and try to grow again instead of going dormant? I can get that dirt off there if I should, there is just so many roots! The root-ball didn't fall apart like I had hoped it would, and leave the bulbs, dangit! I think the 'President' Cannas are a little hardier, I might wait till this weekend to get them.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

EEs don't have to be dug up til after the first frost. Same as cannas. Let frost kill the foilage then cut the dead stuff back and bring in. I don't think the dirt will hurt as long as you don't water it.

Happ, get the purple leaved ones and put in garage for winter. That way it goes dormant for winter but won't get as cold. They are in 3 gallon pots and only about 2 feet tall. I have one for a friend sitting in my truck right now along with Golden Globe arborviotae for another friend. They'll be fine in there since it's not gonna get wet from the frost.

I brought them in a bit too early. I have a feeling this weekend might have done the foliage in anyway. I just got nervous, I couldn't stand the thought of waiting too long on my ears and killing them. I'm not about buying a bunch of new bulbs every year to replace them. Elephant Ear bulbs aren't cheap! I'll get the Cannas that way though.
Oh good, the Elephant Ears are done for the year. Leaving the dirt on them will make them easier to plant in the Spring.
Thanks pepper.
Will

I'll dig mine up probably Sunday after I get home. Or tomorrow if my plans don't work out. lol.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The talk of digging up bulbs made me remember something. I need to plant my garlic bulbs. Maybe later today will be good. The ground has been pretty dry, but we got rain last night & all is clear now. Chloe is spending the entire weekend since her mom is camping down near Johnson Shut-Ins, so we're all going to the pumpkin farm today. Maybe I can get the garlic planted before or after our excursion. Chloe helped me cut up pears & run them thru the food processor until almost midnight. She thought it was fun! LOL The pear sauce has cooked all night in the slow cooker. Now I'm running it through the food mill & will return the pears sauce to the crock pot to cook down into pear butter. Believe it or not, I still have dozens and dozens of pears and plenty more on the tree. This has been one of the most productive years & I'm pooped out. LOL

I hope that everyone beats the weather getting your plants indoors and bulbs dug up, etc... I know that you all are working hard too, but isn't it fun? Isn't it what we dream about all winter long? Gardening is so fulfilling. This winter when I'm dreaming about Spring planting, I can snack on pear butter and pickles, but not together. LOL

Will, your story about your grandparents is so touching. I'm glad that you got to visit with them. You know that they were happy that you did. The cactus for grandma and game of chess with grandpa surely meant a lot to them.

I better finish up here in the kitchen and get ready for the day. I believe that Chloe wants pancakes for breakfast so that she can try out the pear sauce. Except, Chloe is going to want to make the pancakes and is pretty good at it for a 9 year old.

Enjoy your Saturday and I'll check in later; if I survive the Haunted House at the pumpkin farm. LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Back from the pumpkin farm & picked up a nice mum for the church planter. The list of activities were too numerous to mention; everything from camel rides to a haunted house. The pumpkin & squash crop did well this season. They also had a field of horseradish with huge green tops.

This morning while Chloe was preparing the French toast (that's what she decided on), she said, "Grandma, since you plant the seeds in the garden & care for the plants, they probably think that you're their momma. When you go into the garden, the plants all say, "Momma's home! Momma's home!" LOL

Wow, 70 tomorrow here. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast
Yeah, Betty, they enjoy visitors. I usually see my Mom when I'm there visiting, she goes there alot, even if only popping in to bring something. I know quite a few of the other residents too just from visiting. Older people are quite sociable and friendly. I HOPE that cactus sees next year, my fingers are crossed! Just being a cactus I think gives it a better chance as it doesn't need watering that much, about once a month. I've watered a little cactus like that one, here, and it has done well enuff.
It hasn't bloomed or grown much but it's still green. I don't think this is a cactus'es ideal environment..lol I used to like shopping for a nice pot of Mums, then my personal recession happened..lol I uncovered a little more of that A. Gigantea Bamboo to get a pic, then covered it back up, it's alive, but apparently not in any hurry to show itself! - 1st pic
My Cannas are still beating the cold. - I don't think it got quite as cold last nite as they thought it was.
I've got plans for my Purple Coneflower seedlings pretty soon, I plan to plant them along the driveway. - 3rd pic
Ok Betty, WHAT IS TOMATO CHOW-CHOW?!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I woke up to 32 but no frost.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sounds like your all still having some garden fun .
Heard on the weather snow in Kansas and Dakotas ..
Cleaning seeds and making plans for winter sow and next year .
Hi all .. what's freezing ...? had to come back and add a little lol .. Takes a day or two to get use to it ..lol
Last knights baggies
tonights wash (cucumber)
drying daylily seed (planting shortly)

This message was edited Oct 19, 2013 8:29 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

That is a few seeds there, ju. You do alot of work cleaning seeds, it would really pay off come time to plant them. That would save alot of money, I'm sure you know that. I try not to state the obvious whenever possible, it's hard to do for me! I don't self-destruct anymore though, if anybody is waiting for me to do that, it'll be a long wait! lol All I do now-a-days is talk crazy!!
It's hard to believe it will be in the 70's tomorrow!

I think I may have finally got my Hall's Honeysuckle cuttings to root! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.