October 2013 Shorter Days & Longer Nights

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Going to be about 60 here tomorrow , 51 at midnight is going to be warmer than it has been all day today .
Go right ahead with the obvious , even when we are not saying it we are thinking it , at least some . I talk crazy myself , not to much into self destructing either , been there though ...
Cuttings look good , I remember reading about Hall's while looking through the Blue Bush type growing in back near here ..
Most of mine are going dormant outside .. it will close for some of them .. I will be doing more winter cuttings this time ..
I have actually gotten worse instead of better at growing plants , the ones that grow their self are perfecto !!! lol
The little ninebark and willows are still looking good here though , oh and a Buddleia too ...

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The blue bush may be this

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79728/

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I like that Blue Bush Honeysuckle. I'd love to plant one, maybe 2 Hall's Honeysuckle starts on my arbor. The big, original Hall's is being funny about growing down to the other side of that arbor. It appears to be taking it's time, but I can tell it won't be nearly as full as the other side for awhile.
If I can get them to start from cuttings reliably, I'd love to bring a few to a Roundup.

Your having better luck with the Ninebark than I am, ju. A squirrel got in the pot of Ninebark 'Coppertina' and dug it up, I put it right back but it still doesn't show any life, I looked closely at it today. I'm not giving up on them, they just haven't came to life here yet.
Hehe.. my friend here calls me "Captain Obvious" when she's mad, but she does the same thing all the time too! If I'm gonna be an action hero, I prefer to be Superman!

"Worse instead of better"! Hehe, I can relate to that too!
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Putting up some more pear butter before I go to bed & almost done. Will, green tomato chow chow is a relish made with green tomatoes, cabbage, onions, peppers & garlic. If you search online, you should find all kinds of recipes. I made some & donated it to the church for a fundraiser & it sold out fast with people asking for more, so it appears to be popular among those familiar with it. My co-worker just asked me for another jar the other day. She eats it with beans.

Here's a recipe to give you an idea.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/picklesrelishes/r/r80810b.htm

Thanks Betty, I see, that sounds good. Kinda like a Rotel dip for Superbowl Sunday! I read that lady's review, (first user review) she adds stuff to make it hot! I think I'd like that one myself. That's something else to do with green tomatoes. My mom makes Fried Green Tomatoes, I wonder if she makes Chow-Chow.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

About the green tomato chow-chow, my parents are from rural Tennessee and this is something that my great-grandma & grandma (who is still alive & living on her TN farm at age 94) use to make when I was a kid. Back in the day, their pantries were filled with nothing BUT home canned veggies and fruit from the farm. They were very self-sufficient; raised hogs, dairy cows, & chickens. I ate lots of fresh churned butter, smoked ham, & eggs (that I collected). My warmest childhood memories are the lazy summer days that I spent visiting. My parents would drop me off for a week or 2; usually in July when the watermelons were ripe. Yum! Yum!

I've asked a couple of people here about chow-chow, they've all ate it except for me!
You have a quite elderly granny too green! You gotta love that TN. setting as a child. I put some finishing touches on my friend's bedroom door today. Now this is a cat lover right here! - The neighbor guy came over when I was cutting with the saw. Power-tools are like magnets to neighbor guys, they have to know what's going on and get in on the action. He grabs the saw and says he's a union carpenter, so I just show him the last line to cut and I was done cutting! Nice guy, he had his Chiefs jersey on and beverage in hand. He was watching/rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs too. The Chiefs won, but only by 1 point. They're doing exceptionally well this year, they're now 7 - 0. My fingers are crossed, I am guardedly optimistic on them, they went 9 - 0 in 2003 and blew it right away in the play-offs. This Flowering Dogwood in a pot is putting on a reddish Fall color show from it's new Winter home, in the mulch! - 3rd pic
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a Cornus Florida at the side of the house , yours looks much better ,,

I'm home alone almost , one other sleeping ,,
everybody else ? They all went to the Colts vs Denver game ,, tonight ...
Payton Manning is still a BiG Superstar here , playing for Denver now ... irony ,,

I'm thinking about cussing , the weather .. it would not do any good and it was nice today ..!!! 63 degrees and sunny . that's all though ..
Cold from now on as far as futurecast can see , looking at 20's this coming week ...pooper people p-u !!! lol

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Beautiful weekend. I cleaned on the pond. They water lilies had completely gotten out of control! I didn't realize how bad they had gotten.... ;(

Saturday friends and I went to Warsaw hitting antique and junk stores on the way and then went to a really nice craft show. I could of spent alot of money but I did buy some things. Big find those green grow through supports for flowers that flop over, I found 4 big ones, 2 medium ones, and 2 little ones for 5.00... great price. Had a great time which is what it was all about actually.

Have a great day tomorrow.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL happ. I just got home a few hours ago from there. Bad news is on way home my check engine light came on AND my backup truck is down for the moment so I can't park it. Hope it doesn't start acting up.

Good news is I didn't buy anything. Not much caught my eye and the stuff that did is too expensive.

I am watching that game here, it's a valuable game for the Chiefs actually. The Denver Broncos are the only other unbeaten football team and unfortunately they're in the Chiefs division. So, in KC, people are rooting for the Broncos to lose. From what I've seen and heard the Colts are having a good game. If the Broncos win, it will have an affect on the Chiefs morale, not to mention that the Chiefs won't be the only unbeaten team. I believe Denver will have an edge on the Chiefs because of playing more rivals in our division. I bet there in Indianapolis it is a big game with Peyton Manning coming back there. Yeah, I doubt if the people there hate him, it wasn't his fault that he left there and he did great things there. But, in my opinion, the Denver Broncos are a pony and a half show, (Peyton Manning and Wes Welker respectively). They're riding on luck anyway, I think that the Broncos pony show is about over. Enuff about football, sorry!

I think the cool and cold weather is here to stay now!

Sounds like good times was had by all at that Warsaw craft show. Just curious, what is a flower flopper support? The big Coleuses that I started from cuttings are really perking up, about half of the cuttings in each pot is full and standing up like normal. I'll get a pic of them soon, it is impressive already.

Ewww.. the check engine light?! The auto parts stores will hook up their diagnostic code reader thing for free and tell you what's wrong. I did it at O'Reilly's last month on my friend's car. It's funny, it got a simple tuneup and when she got it back, the check engine light was on! So, O'Reilly's hooked it up and he saw that a hose was disconnected and the light went out but not for a day or so. The tuneup guy wanted us to drop it off again and give him a day or two to figure it out, my friend was like, "are you serious, I need my car?!". But, it could mean something serious, pepper, hope it isn't too bad, I'd go crazy without wheels myself.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2013 10:06 PM

Thanks ju, it's a beautiful little tree, even if it is still in a pot. I need to cut down a big, old Mimosa tree to plant that Dogwood. It's gonna be a memorium tree for my friend's mother. Some of you may recall all the tales I told about her, she was quite a colorful and interesting lady, we just adored her here!

I've asked a couple of people here about chow-chow, they've all ate it except for me!
You have a quite elderly granny too green! You gotta love that TN. setting as a child. I put some finishing touches on my friend's bedroom door today. Now this is a cat lover right here! - The neighbor guy came over when I was cutting with the saw. Power-tools are like magnets to neighbor guys, they have to know what's going on and get in on the action. He grabs the saw and says he's a union carpenter, so I just show him the last line to cut and I was done cutting! Nice guy, he had his Chiefs jersey on and beverage in hand. He was watching/rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs too. The Chiefs won, but only by 1 point. They're doing exceptionally well this year, they're now 7 - 0. My fingers are crossed, I am guardedly optimistic on them, they went 9 - 0 in 2003 and blew it right away in the play-offs. This Flowering Dogwood in a pot is putting on a reddish Fall color show from it's new Winter home, in the mulch! - 3rd pic
Will

Sorry about my posts, I think they got bamboozled by me. I'm not sure what happened, I'll apologize right now. : )

I agree Pepper I thought things were high, but alot caught my eye but but like you it was out of my budget.

Drats those stupid check engine lights. Most of mine have just been there to scare me.

Will those garden rings are for like peonies to keep the blooms from falling over.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow this is a great thread! I enjoyed ready all the posts. You are all so energetic.I enjoy this I am also. Am pretty sad that the gardening season is all but done here in michigan. I have been working on cutting down all my plants for the winter. But it will be fun in the spring I plants lots of new spring bulbs. I took the sod out of my front year this summer and planted a whole new garden now no mowing for us. Three of my other neighbors did the same. So its been fun. Next year it will look so much better. Well the michigan forum is pretty slow at anyone posting so I am looking for a fun bunch of peps who enjoy gardening and each other. Thanks for letting me read this fun thread. I was a subscribed a couple years ago and let it lapse. But im back and enjoying it so far. Thanks and nice to meet you all! Lol. Ronna

Awww.. gardenlady, such kind words! We've always welcomed people from anywhere. We talk sometimes to people in Washington state and Florida, we like everybody! Michigan is only 2 states away, over Lake Michigan!
Wow, took the grass/sod out of your front yard and put in a garden, that would be nice, alot of work, your the energetic one!
Welcome to the Central Midwest forum Ronna.

That would be nice on Peonies, happ, they're always flopped over.

The check engine light is just there to scare you eh? My car's ENGINE came from a junkyard, it has that yellow chalk, salvage yard writing on it, and they told me when I bought it, (of course, AFTER I asked..lol). That way I think it's easier for car sellers to get away with a huge change on the odometer. I think the car itself has around 400,000 miles on it, but they changed the instrument cluster/panel too, it only says 150k something. I got lucky on my car, it's still running good.
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Wow car problems to begin cold weather ..
I could think of asking of or for anything better ....

Last Tomatoes .. freeze tonight ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Nice tomatoes juhur7..... we bought a couple plants thos tear again. We did not fertile and theydid not grow at all. Then we heard about miracle grow, dont frownbut we used it and they grew and grew. Really made a difference. We got several tomatoes from the plants. Cherry toms are so good on a crunchy salad. Yummy. We have to plant ours in buckets cause we do not have full sun only on the one corner of our house. Lol. Just have to figure it out. Bur I will miss them. Have a great evening. Could be frosted in the morning. Ronna

I got my car wax on today, on my friend's car. -
This Virginia Creeper is just incredible! -
Yes, car trouble in the cold really stinks. At least it's not real cold yet. Yeah, nice tomatoes there, ju.
It's not freezing yet but I think it might freeze Weds. or Friday here. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Well, I have a small gas leak, possibly o-ring and truck isn't acting up yet so when I empty out the front tank I will take it in to get it all fixed. Gotta do alot of driving this week now because my truck gets good gas mileage. I took it to my mechainc and he checked out the leak. Said it could possibly be causing the light to be on but won't know til I bring it in to be worked on.

Welcome Ronna!! We always welcome new people!! The more the merrier here. lol. We will be seeing frost sometime this week it looks like. Just depends on how cold it gets here at my house.

I need to bring my meezo in too before it dies otherwise Will will have to give me back some more cuttings of my own plant. lol

Happ, the stuff I wanted were the metal and rock garden sculptures. They were cool!!! Especially the swinging bird. lol. And quilts. lol.

Sure, pepper, I'd give you back some cuttings or even a Mezoo plant. I have 3 Mezoo plants in the garage under shoplites. Hope you get your gas leak fixed.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I feel asleep around 8ish watching tv, so here I am awake at midnight. LOL I have to fast now for 7:30 blood work for my annual physical. My husband also is fasting for a test tomorrow morning, so I put a big sign in the kitchen to remind us both not to eat or drink anything.

Welcome Ronna. You have paulgrow in your MI community. I have printed his very helpful and informative rose articles and made my own booklet. I guess your MI gardening buddies are busy preparing for colder weather. My cherry tomatoes are the most prolific of all varieties. I eat them in a salad for lunch everyday & will miss them when all gone.

I've been busy cleaning up my garden. One of my bus friends is dropping off a bunch of newspapers on my front porch after talking about how I need them for my lasagna beds. It's getting close to leaf raking time when I get a good supply to cover my beds for winter.

Pepper, we went thru that check engine light problem last Spring & it is frustrating since our light had to be out to pass state emissions testing. It ended up being quite expensive. I hope that you come out better than we did.

The temp here right now is 36 F, so I imagine it will be much cooler by tomorrow morning. Gee, I won't have my coffee to warm me walking the 5 blocks to the bus stop. I'm going to be so cranky! LOL I've got to do some chores that I didn't get done before I fell asleep & then back to bed. Good night all & sleep tight.

Darn site crashed on me a few minutes ago as I was making a new post. lol

Long story short, truck still running good, just emptying the gas tank as quick as I can so it can be worked on. And it's gonna be cold tonight!! Frost advisory!!

Yeah, the site has been acting funny for me too. A few minutes ago, it was saying "unable to connect to Davesgarden" or something. I got plenty of Mezoos, pepper, if you need any. - 1st (3) pics.

The big Coleus cutting/starts are really coming along nicely, in a week or so they should be looking real nice. -

This 5th pic is how the Coleus looks normally (with alot of lite). -

Come ahead, frost! Maybe the leaves will get frosted off of my 'President' Cannas so I can cut them off and bring in the bulbs.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, if you have a bunch of canna bulbs leave one out there as an experiment to see if it comes back next year. Just chip up some leaves and mulch them. Maybe it will come back next year!! lol

Glad I'm not the only one who had issues. It appears fine now though.

Oh, I've tried that..lol It came back but it never grew very tall. This hasn't been a good year for my Cannas, the big ones never even bloomed! That's the over-wintered one over by the wall, - 1st pic.
I planted it about 10 inches down and covered it up well with mulch.

How's this for some Poison Ivy going up a tree? Isn't it just beautiful!? 2nd and 3rd pics
Will

Poison Ivy has some of the best fall color out there. Too bad it's so poisonous!! lol

It does indeed, and it is indeed! But, unfortunately, a friend in the trees forum noticed that it was Virginia Creeper and not Poison Ivy. Virginia Creeper is also one of my Fall favorites, I had no idea this was that, I had never seen it go up a tree! I was as far away as that 2nd photo, I had zoomed in on the third one. I wasn't close enuff to tell myself, but my tree friend over there could tell.
I am probably too late to get some decent Poison Ivy Fall photos. Today, I went back over there and got a closer one, to my chagrin, it's easy to tell what it is now - Virginia Creeper.
I put this one in my Comcast webspace, it's full size and quite easy to tell I was wrong in my earlier assumption. - http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_2951.JPG
Will

This message was edited Oct 24, 2013 6:37 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

LOL. I didn't look closely at the leaf shape. Glad your friend caught it. I think I have some around here too. Wouldn't suprise me.

I need to get some new fall pics. Colors starting to show up now!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Freeze warning here tonight! It is brrrr--cold!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

3rd freeze warning in a row for us here ,, cold weather has come ,,
Shall we gather in prayer for Thanksgiving
Sing Christmas songs .
Or maybe auld ang syne Yeah well , I still can't spell ...

Freeze warnings here too!! I have to be up at 3am so will have to do some scraping. Grrr....

It was hard to notice that leaf shape when I first photographed it, I was fooled. I'm glad he caught it too, I musta looked like a dunce! A freeze warning tonite here too, the forecast is for 29 F for a low!
http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

I am trying my luck at a couple of things, a leaf cutting of my variegated Rubber Tree and a cutting of my Dieffenbachia. I'm kinda sure the Dieffenbachia cutting will take as I've done it before and got a wonderful Dieffenbachia plant out of it. I've been propagating it for a while now. It was a memorial gift plant when my friend's mom passed away in Dec. 11'. I'll upload a photo of it from tonite, it looks great, I stuck four cuttings of Striped Wondering Jew around it. - 2nd pic

The big Coleus cutting pots that I made about a week ago are really perking up now, I got a photo of them, those 4 pots are doing swimmingly! - 3rd pic.

The Flowering Dogwood is putting on some Crimson red Fall color, even if it is just in a pot. 4th pic

Eeekk, it will be plenty cold at 3am!

The cutting from ju is still green. - 5th pic
Where is that ju, Miss happ and Gardenlady?!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I do not have much to say Will , hanging round ,, some pics this week were these though

1 IS LUFFA Gourd
2 is cans and bags setting for wintersow
3 is a clematis cutting .. (got a few ,,ah ha .. maybe not to many. but to me Woo Hoo !!!! I got a few ^_^
4&5 seed packing going on ...
Hi ya all ...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Very nice Will. Later this winter I am in hopes to get some good cuttings started. Come January when nothing is happening but cold.

Hard freeze tonight up here... '( My roses still look really nice, I hate to see them freeze, I have lots of buds.

Ju can we skip auld ang syne? That song is as sad as TAPS to me.

Pep truck still ok?

gardenlady123 hope we didn't scare you away. You are zone 5b dang I am zone 5a, I would of thought you were colder than me. Missouri really is misery rofl.

Have some pics but everything is charging...geehz.

Ju we cross posted. Wow the clematis look great! That is wonderful. Which kind of clematis.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes Will nice cuttings , I don't recognize that green cutting are you sure that came from me ?
Little Diffenbachia , big Diffenbachia and thanks to you Will I can do wondering jew cuttings around mine now also

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cross posted again lol ,, H.F. Young .. I went looking for a pic , it's missing .. eek

Thanks happ and ju! I hope for nice plants from those cuttings. Hehe.. yes you can do Wondering Jew cuttings too ju! I think I found out the secret to making them look good and full and not so leggy, - constantly trimming them! I've kinda just let them go before and they have never looked too good, I'm going to start trimming them regularly, and of course watering them often. Nice Dieffenbachias there, ju.

No, not really sure where that cutting came from ju. I need to go thru more photos until I find it then hopefully I can nail it to a mailing from somebody, it's kinda like a mystery! It might identify itself after it grows awhile.

Here is some really cool seed packet designs. - http://davesgarden.com/files/seedpackets/ I just found that the other day when I was looking for Dave's plant zone hardiness finder feature. I was marveling at the "extras" link, I finally found where the "Address Exchange" is. - http://davesgarden.com/extras.php

Sure, shall we say a few words for these done-for-the-year Canna 'President's?! That big orange planter that contained the Canna bulbs is now in the garage waiting for next year! That one over there by the wall will have to get cold again, I hope it gets taller next year!
Will

This message was edited Oct 24, 2013 10:20 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Always good there is another year ...

Happ I found the pic HF Young

Thumbnail by juhur7

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.