October 2013 Shorter Days & Longer Nights

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Up at 4am because JoJo had to water the grass. LOL The current temp is 24 F. I may be re-thinking my wardrobe for today. I'm glad that I picked my peppers & tomatoes yesterday evening before heading out to Chloe's school fall festival. It was well organized and fun for all. Here's some picks of the pumpkin contest. Chloe's class contributed the Dorothy pumpkin and the other 3rd grade classes added the other Oz characters. I'm not sure which grade contributed the minions, but the face on "Gru" is the school principal. Ha! Ha!

I guess that I'll try to lay back down until time for the alarm to go off. At least, I've got the pot of coffee ready now. That'll keep me warm my 5 block walk to the bus stop. I've got 2 crocks of pears prepared and soaking in the frig in "Fresh Fruit", so I'll be making more pear butter this weekend. I've had it for breakfast on toast the past 2 mornings & boy is it good!

We've got the time change coming up 11/3 & then an hour more daylight in the morning, but I won't have the daylight to do work in my garden in the evening; unless I plug in a flood light which I've done before.

Almost forgot the pics.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Heading out the door, but just found this interesting article when checking the temps. Still 24 F.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/2013/10/25/destructive-weed-illinois/3186029/

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hard freeze at my house last night. Was to dark when I left to know if it got my roses ;( Last night they were fine. Fingers crossed.

GB great pumpkins, the kids did a great job! Dorothy and Oz how funny. Read your article and looked up a couple of things. The plant can be toxic to livestock animals due to the presence of nitrates in the leaves.[3] Palmer amaranth has a tendency to absorb excess soil nitrogen, and if grown in overly fertilized soils, it can contain excessive levels of nitrates, even for humans. Apparently in other parts of the world it is eaten but not here. This goes back to the complaint I have of things being over fertilized, crops and lawns.
Some day because we raise the same type of crop the same gene of crop we could experience the Iris potato crop failure. We seem to be losing diversity. Ok Ok off my soap box.

ju that is a beautiful clematis wowzer. I can see why you would want to make more starts. Beautiful.

Well now that I can't do much outside I am ready to start playing indoors. I have two work projects I have to work on this weekend ;( but hopefully when those are done I will have the rest of the weekend free and clear.

Will most plants I have found are much busher if they have a trim. I had an asparagus fern I use to trim all the time and was so thick and beautiful. I always try to trim my hibiscus but it is so hard because there are buds on the end and it is tuff to cut them back... ;)

We were in a junk store and this lady had this plant starter but it wasn't for sale, I think it is a great idea and I am going to make one.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sounds like everyone is into something ,
Happ thank you , about the Clematis , I don't know if I deserve credit for that , it groe on it's own nicely .
Here's the other Niobe , blooms later , still spring though

Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey green brain love the halloween decorations... very cute. WILL I love the coleuses also. I have never rooted anything would like to try sometime. I justget impatiant and go buy somemore. Is it fairly easy to do? Juhur7 the clematis is so beautiful. I have 4 of them do not know all the names. But two are bluebell shaped ones. lol. A couple pink striped ones and a purple one. Spring is wonderful time I planted several new tulip bulbs and some daffys crocuses. Am excited about this. Love looking at everyone pics. Very nice ♥♥♥♥♡

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

That Palmer amaranth does sound like a nuisance. Neat plant starter happ, what a good idea, now I want one too. Oh, starting plants from cuttings is very easy gardenlady, there isn't any trick to it, if I can do it anybody can! But, it DOES have to be a plant that propagates by cuttings, not everything does. It's easy to find out if a certain plant does tho. I usually just have 2 easy methods to find that out, one is I just ask, I ask others here, or I just Google search the question, "methods to propagate so and so?", in my case Bing because I use Bing and not Google. Some plants are picky on what they'll root with, root cuttings, hardwood cuttings, softwood cuttings and if one is lucky even leaf cuttings. Alot of stuff won't propagate that way though. It's easily worth finding out on something though, it could mean saving some money.
Some plants are notoriously easy to root from cuttings for ex., Pothos, Prickly-Pear, Cholla, Willows, Wondering Jews and Coleuses..lol Anybody else have more? Those are just some that I've done from cuttings. If you come to our Roundup, gardenlady, I'll give you some of those from cuttings.

I found an old pic of that cutting, ju, and it looks like something I did from a cutting and forgot about, from my 'Red Haven' Peach tree. Here it is now, it don't have any leaves! All 3 of those cuttings I'm pretty sure are from my 'Red Haven' Peach tree. See what happens when we forget things?! I still think I was dropped on my head as a child! lol

Here is my 2 bigboy Wondering Jews, I'll probably bring them in tonite or this weekend at the latest. They're a little hardier than the average houseplant, they can handle temps as low as 20 F for the striped one - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/596/ and 10 for the regular purple one. - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1160/ .
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Love the pic's and info Will ..

Notorious ? you say and ask ? How about Buddleia !!!? Butterfly Bush .. pic !&2
Followed by :
3 willow
4 Lavender (takes practice)
5 Ninebark (from Pepper ) see the two new leaves ? this week after the two green ones to start with ) two brand new red ones ...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

The freeze did wilt my trombone & spaghetti squash vines -- which I've already harvested, peppers -- harvested yesterday, tomato vines somewhat wilted, & okra somewhat wilted. The lima beans weren't affected, so I maybe I'll get to harvest the current crop. I still have kale & Swiss chard that should continue growing for a while. The roses are fine, but are growing against a south facing garage wall. I've been saving veggie seeds for next year. Some seeds I've been saving and replanting now for several years. I understand that they become heirloom seeds over time that people keep in the family. This will be my legacy. : )

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

22 when I left for work at 4:30 this morning. COOOLLLDDD!!!!

Truck is still running. It acted up some this morning, thinking it was misfiring but not sure. Running gas down and then it will go in shop. Again. lol

Wow, I'm glad I brought my Canna bulbs in last nite! I didn't know it got so much colder than what they forecasted - 29 for last nite's low. And that was "the most accurate weather forecast in Kansas City", they ought to be ashamed of themselves!

My Ninebark cuttings haven't taken, what is the secret there, ju!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Clonex ^_^
My regular Ninebark the species I'm not sure of , but the COPPERTINA ? has roots !!! ^_^

PEPPER real , and bad , for ya , about the truck .. A BIG "GRRRR" huh?

This message was edited Oct 25, 2013 10:28 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, my Canna is still green & growing. When do the tops die down?

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Anyone ever order seeds from R.H. Shumway's? I really like their selection, so I'm considering giving them a try.

Green, tops die down after first hard frost/freeze.

Ju, truck will be in shop this next week and the backup truck should be fixed by then if my dad remembers to get it done before mine goes in. It's been running though I wouldn't say it's great. lol. Figured I would just keep driving it til it either drops or I ran gas down enough to get in shop. lol

Glad some of the ninebarks are taking!!

Haven't heard of R.H. I don't do much seed wise. Have better luck with plants and sometimes cuttings.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

GB- My Hollyhocks and Watermelons cane from RH Shumway's as did a tomato and a few Herbs
All good , The seeds all grew , anything that did not grow real well was my fault ..(that happens)
I've always done seeds . much better as a youngster I was , a getting around thing I guess .
I'm still all right with wildflowers and trees .

pepper- good luck , with the truck (poetry )

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks ju. The Watchdog reviews sound ok since most people only post when they have a complaint, so you don't hear all the good stuff. I was comparing prices, and they're pretty reasonable too. They have all my favorite varieties, so I don't have to purchase from more than one vendor.

I tried a ninebark from Bluestone Perennials a few years back that didn't make it. I was so disappointed. Then, the bamboo took off and I planted more roses. I no longer have room.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I will have to look up nine bark. I suppose it is a full sun plant. I really wish I had some full in our sun yard!! I look at those gardens they are beautiful. I try really hard with my shady place. I do have lots of daylilies that are beautiful. But we gots what we gots... lol. Juruh when I leave for work at 5:15 am it has been very cold here too. We even had some snow the other day. It snowed hard too. Kinda pretty. I have someannuals pots still outside they did not die with the snow. So surprised. Well have a great Sunday!

Oh, it's still growing is it green? I bet not for long...lol When my Cannas were outside you could tell it was doing poorly, the lower leaves were dying and the other leaves were a bit limp and pale.
My Cannas didn't do too well this year though, they never even bloomed. Yours very well could still be doing fine, I think Cannas are a little hardier than the average houseplant anyway. Any plant that overwinters here, (even with protection) must have some hardiness in it.

I've got to get onboard with Clonex. I watched a Youtube video on it, it's really interesting, you guys should watch this if you can. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTg32xPkr_c
It sounds kinda complex with that word "Clonex" but all it's referring to is that cuttings are "clones" of the parent plant. All you do with this Clonex is pour a small amount into a shotglass or something and dip the cutting into it over the razor-cut. Dang that ju! That's probably why her Ninebark cuttings started and mine didn't! Surely, mine aren't upside down, but stranger things have happened! lol Btw, that video has over 13,000 views so they must be doing something right.

I've never bought seeds from R.H. Shumway's either.

Wow, snow in Michigan eh Gardenlady?!
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Now I'm even showing the inside of the fridge ,, goodness I'm such a pic hound ,, lol

First is the inside of the fridge . Couple of packages to some gardening cronies , of some time .
Second is the clematis in a tube , it is stuffed full of roots ,, am I ever happy that cutting grew so well . nice kind of surprise ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oops meant to add this;
This cutting and flower you have seen before . the tubed plant cutting is the same one in the pot.
These pics and thank you all for being patient ,,I'm a happy cuttings gardener )lol ^_^

The main plant in the pic was getting scraggely looking , so I have it restarted and a couple cuttings , as everyone has asked me for this it seems ... Next half dozen coming as soon as my turtle gear speed gets going ,,,lol

This message was edited Oct 27, 2013 7:19 PM

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Yes, that sure is some plant stuff right alongside the water and veggies and such right in the refridgerator, ju! That H.F. Young Clematis IS a nice one! I went to my vacant lot in rural kansas to mow the grass one last time. How do you like this setup for a cargo carrier?! That is a 4,000 lb. capacity hand-winch (or come-along it is sometimes called). I finally thought of a use for it! I've had it for a couple of years and never used it until today. I visited my grandparents this weekend. Here is the cactus that I gave them, okay my middle name is Byron! My family knows me by Byron.
I blurred out my phone number but if anybody wants it, we can chat on the phone, it's no big thing really, I just didn't want spam if I put it out on the internet. Cactus. -
http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_3010.jpg
Will

This message was edited Oct 27, 2013 10:03 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Juruh I have to "root" clematis before how do you do it. Maybe it matters which strand it is? I would loveto try this again. Do you just clip and stick in water? Am coureous now. Will I will look at your cactus. Like the cargo carrier.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Put the vine through a hole in the bottom of a pot , no clipping , no scraping the vine either unless your rooting hormone that seals ..

#1 THE FINISHED , BEGINNING
#2 THE HOLE IN POT TO SLIDE THE VINE THROUGH
#3 VINE PIECE BEFORE BEING PUT THROUGH POT . STAYS ATTACHED TO MAIN PLANT ..
TWO MONTHS TO BEGIN ROOTING , HOW LONG TO FINISHED , ROOTED PLANT ? anybody's guess ...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh thanks very much. So the vine is still attached to the mother plant and put right thru a pot at the bottom and thruthe top. Fill with dirt and wait. Easy thanks very much. I was trying to snip off a piece and sticking in water. Nothing. This is easy enough. Ronna.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Your welcome ... Ronna ,good luck ..
They all root at different times , the only I have so far, is none I have ever seen rooted during summer .
That and unless I was a cloning fluid expert , that's the only one I can do ... lol?

You ever have that feeling you weren't too good at something? , and you wonder to yourself about it , Only it is like something you just have to know how and accomplish doing ... lol

Hi, where'd everybody go?! Where is pepper, happ, ju, greenbrain and gardenlady?!

Ever have that feeling I'm not good at something?! Everyday!! lol

What cat lover would be complete without a bunch of catgrass?! Tonite, I made an old, cracked wallpaper tub into a pot for a bunch of catgrass, now it just has to grow! - photos 1 and 2

I'm keeping hope alive for a leaf cutting of variegated Rubber Plant! - pic 3 It's still looks good after5 days but that could just be the "bouquet effect" I guess! lol

The big pots of Coleus 'Watermelon' cuttings are looking good. - pic #4

My Arrowhead plants sit in water nicely for the Winter, as next year they'll be sitting in water again outside. - pic #5
Will

This message was edited Oct 29, 2013 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

My striped Wondering Jew, (Tradescantia zebrina) is long right now but it won't look so good I bet in a couple of months! - pic #1 That's my big Asparagas Fern next to it.

My Dieffenbachia complete with cuttings of Inch Plant (striped Wondering Jew) at it's base is looking good too. - pic #2

My 'President' Canna bulbs are inside and waiting for next year in the orange/red planter. pic #3

My Elephant Ears also await Spring now as well. - pic #4

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nice . nice , pics will .. Variegated rubber plant is exquisite..!!!

Not a lot doing here , working on learning about cuttings , making another cement pole today .
The others in pieces I still have to decide how to use , I'll get there though ..
Little warmer the next few days here ,around 60 .. or so ..Time to get a couple thing done ..
My house plants are in , to stay .

Just huddling under cover here with old man Whiskers behind me on the chair trying to kick me out. lol.

Not much going on right now. Slow at work and slow here with the rain. Waiting on back up truck to get fixed so we can put mine in shop. Slow going on fixing the problem.

Thanks ju. I hope that Rubber Plant stays looking exquisite..lol That's a somewhat valuable plant, I would love to make a ton of cuttings from it this Winter. I stand to have a bunch of cutting material from it to count on because there is a big branch that has taken entirely a wrong direction and I aim to cut the whole thing off and make lots of cuttings. I mean this branch is big, it's nearly as big as the central leader with branches! In this 3 wk. old photo or so you can see that branch jutting out oddly to the right!

Long post alert!

It's been unusually warm here, that is a pleasant suprise! I'm talking 70 today and again tomorrow, with rain. I heard on the news that even after the rain today that we are still 4 + inches behind on rain for the year, so maybe we'll put a dent in it these 2 maybe 3 days. - http://www.kshb.com/subindex/weather/forecast/7_day_forecast

That old Whiskers!

Not much going on here either, I had a job interview last week and I have one Thursday of this week, oh boy! Ewww, vehicle problems stink. I have a side time-taker-upper myself tomorrow.
I have to be here while the Comcast person installs tv and (better) internet. You pretty much have to follow them and watch what they do. The last time I didn't watch close enuff. That installer not only took the ceiling tiles off in the rec. room, he also took apart the ceiling tile frames. He left a big, old nasty pile of cable behind a bush outside. One of my variegated Hosta's leaves were inside the rungs on his ladder and he was just stepping on them, actually I confronted him on that, as I saw it happen. I called Comcast and complained after he left, he was a jackbutt! If they send him again, he may as well not get out of his truck, because he isn't installing anything here!

My friend and me have only had antenna tv for nearly 4 months now. Actually, antenna tv is affected by the leaves on the trees too. So, we waited for a somewhat good Comcast cable deal. Of course, after the introductory rate is over, we'll be getting shafted (elevator) again, but what can you do?! It's a pretty long introductory rate so maybe that'll help a little.
I'll admit it, we are tv people, we like A&E, History and other cable channels!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is like that sometimes only cable is good stuff !!! . A&E OR TRU T.V.
Nope no TV watchers here ... Don't have the slightest Idea of who Bill Curtis or Casey Anthony , was One was the most recognized on the continent for a while and the other the most hated on three continents ...
American Justice or In Session Nope, never heard of those ,,,

I think Science about Space ,, and Ancient Aliens are my favorites to be bored by ,,
Empire and Warfare shows put me to sleep . so do reruns of Star Trek .. well it beats sleeping pills all time ..lol ^_^
Nope don't know much about TV here....

Haha! You got you plenty of programming I see, ju! My favorites are Axmen, Ice Road Truckers and Hgtv shows, (they're probably #1). My friend here misses alot of her shows too, only on cable tv.

Casey Anthony, my grandfather used to call me up and tell me, "the babykiller is going free!", he'd say that before he'd even say hi!

I read up on Bill Kurtis at Wikipedia to get me up to speed on the old boy, he is and was a big Kansas guy I see. He is quite a narrator of sorts now, I read. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Kurtis

This message was edited Oct 29, 2013 10:26 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Paul James was mine ,, sister was Yard Crashers
Bill Curtis and Paul Winfield are great voices as host , So is Morgan freeman hosting Through the Looking Glass ..
My favorite recent show is Locked up Abroad ,, Scary old days stuff ... ""Us"" and ""Our""""Bad"" Behaviors ! lol

Did I mention the former Chief of Homicide , Investigations dept was here at our house today !!!
Better tell,, the city was looking for volunteers Before you all get suspicious ...

Eeek.. homicide!! Have you been killing folks?! Haha! I'm just kidding, I read the line after that, sounds quite funny until you tell that line!

I see I had duplicated some stuff in that earlier post, so I edited it all up, so hope I keep the crazy down! I thot I had fixed it before I posted it before, but I see it wasn't fixed at all!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well here's few things.
1 HOMEMADE GARDEN PLANT MARKER
2 CEMENT POLE , IT'S PUURRRFECT ,, BECAUSE NEXT TO THE DARKER GALLON JUG
YOU CAN SEE IT'S KITTY PAW PRINT SIGNED , ORIGINAL ART ...LOL ^_^
3 WILD MUSTARD STILL GOING
4 BURGUNDY GAILLARDIA STIIL BLOOMING
5 WILD ASTER , WITH PURPLE HUE , CROSS OF NEW YORK( MAYBE ?

Back in a while .. getting it done ,, you all too I'd bet ...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Well, the cable installer guy came today. You won't believe this, it was the same guy they sent over 2 years ago! I didn't realize it until he got in the front door. I said, "your the same guy who came last time". I didn't get nasty there, I figured, "maybe he can do things right this time". It was a nightmare! He didn't know what was getting installed! He ended up leaving without doing anything. We are going to get the installation done for free someday, because I think they are incompetent. This is the 2nd installation that has been scheduled that they fouled up. The 1st one was Sat. from 12 to 2.
A first cousin of mine in Arkansas died from Cancer and we had a memorial Sat. from 12 to 3, and I was nearly 2 hours late to it waiting for this guy that never showed up Saturday! Well, enuff about my cable woes, I could go on and on!

We had a hailstorm today that lasted about 5 minutes or less. I go this short videoclip of it and put it on Youtube if anyone would like to see it, it's only 29 seconds long. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo_fXzcQo04&feature=c4-overview&list=UUncIC3pLv0W-KhBjmMVkG6Q The part in the video was after the nasty part was over. It was raining leaves as the hail was just knocking them out of the trees! I'll upload a photo of the deck roof covered in leaves! Grubworm the cat will go out on the deck in about any weather, (it's just a screened-in deck). pic #1

How about my hardy white Mums on the front porch? pic #2 I bought them last Fall, they overwintered in the pot, they're blooming still! I think they'll bloom entirely now, with this mild weather we're having presently.

Here are 3 photos of that storm out the front door. - photos 3, 4 and 5.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hi ju, I didn't think anybody would post anything so I didn't refresh the forum in another window.
We cross-posted believe it or not! I've been writing kinda intermittently.
I see you've been busy, ju! Beautiful flowers! All that's in flower at my house is my Mums here!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya Will) I think the mums pretty , I enjoy the pumpkin , the thermometer .( and kitty !!! looks masked in Siamese..
Covered porch decks are Super ...!!!

Cable problems ,, and Ice hail storms I can do without!!! ,, (good pic's of that though))scheduled forecast says there coming here for Tomorrow .. For Halloween ... Oh boo !!! (I am not sure I like how that goes together ) Nasty things have happened during Holidays ..

This message was edited Oct 30, 2013 3:56 PM

Thanks ju! Yeah, she is a Siamese alright. She was a stray Siamese cat in 2004.
It's a good thing the hail wasn't bigger than it was but it was only pea-sized.
I don't know what's going to happen with Comcast, we could end up canceling that.

I have a pic of a small, yellow Ozark Witch-Hazel. - #1
I also have a pic of a 'Blue Angel' Hosta that is now a Yellow Angel! lol - #2
The Persimmon tree is starting to have a nice color. - pic #3

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow Will looks like it is pouring right iutside your door. Iguess we are suppose to get some bad rain on nalloween for the poor kiddos. Hope they all have umbrellas. Or ac
Car to ride in. Weel none the less iwill be homeand warm. You all have been busy posting lots of pics. Like the mums. Well have a superevening all.... I have to get up early. Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.