I have a chrysalis spice bush I think

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a couple of camphor laurel shrubs and this butterfly lays eggs on the leaves and the caterpillars fold the leaf at the midrib and hide in it during the day. at night they feed. I brought a small caterpillar and an egg indoors about two weeks ago. The small caterpillar grew and grew and I woke up a few days ago with a chrysalis sticking to the wall above the vase of camphor laurel. The one which was an egg is now in the final instar type, ie green with the large yellow eye spots. I have some proud Grandmother photos but they are all unfocused. I use a point and shoot, Nikon coolpix and it auto focuses but anyway here is what I got.
The last is a photo of the one that is growing from the egg.

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

steadycam3, congrats on the success of raising those beautiful butterflies, I once had success with Spicebush cat. raising. Those look like Spicebush to me.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

How exciting!

Well, there dont seem to be any monarchs for me to raise so I'll just dance with whoever is here. chuckle.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

^_^ A sentiment in which I can relate to. In my case, this year I've 3 Monarchs eclosed this week. I missed seeing the butterflies when they passed through here, found the roughly 3 dozens larvae and only saw 3 chrysalid made it to eclosure. A bleak year for the Monarch population indeed.

I brought them in because I think the geckos or anoles are eating them before they get very big.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I attempted to raise those larvae indoor, but the low humidity indoor due to air conditioning cause the cats. to become dehydrated badly. I was forced to return them back to the garden for their own sake. Live and learn, some of my bad experiences. :((

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Yay for you steadycam!

I finally found a spicebush after looking for one since last summer. I got a 1 1/2 gallon size so I hope it will do well. Any tips on how to care for it? I dont know if it is male or female, but i got it for the butterflies. Berries would be a bonus. I hope to see some caterpillars on it . But first I have to decide on where to plant it.

Mine grows in shade and it grows very slowly. I got mine about 6 years ago as bare root and I had two but one died. I have never seen a cat on it. It's about chest high now but not bushy at all. Mine got plenty of compost but maybe I should have given it some miracle gro.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.