DAILY PICTURES #105

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here we go on thread DAILY PICTURES #105.
I figured since we are tagging Monarchs in our area now, I would show one with a tag. This is not this year, but it's raining right now and didn't take photos of any this year.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1331484/

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

following along ^_^

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the new thread Sheila. I haven't got the nerve to tag 'em. Fortunately (?!) for me this season I don't have to decide as I have no cats. -sigh-

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I think I could have 'tagged' the ones I raised. Where does one get tags?

Red Oak, TX

Thanks for starting the new thread, Sheila. And since we're talking monarchs, here's one on Coral Vine.

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Thumbnail by lepfarmer
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

This was flitting around where the Monarchs were released on Monday. Sure it is not a Monarch....not sure what it is ...?

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

coleup, a nice Painted lady.
It's getting cool and wet here in west central Arkansas and NE Oklahoma so hope the Monarchs are in Texas or Mexico.

Crofton, MD(Zone 7a)

Congrats to coleup! Nice to know there are still Monarchs cats in the region. I've had none on my milkweed for the past two years. I saw four adults in my yard this summer but sadly no babies.

On Tuesday I hiked around a "natural area" near my home. Although it's located near an area with a rapidly growing population, I usually see a lot of leps. I got there a bit late, about 3:30 pm and the sun was playing hide and seek but still saw:
3 Orange Sulphers
2 Common buckeyes
2 Pearl Crescents
2 Variegated Frits
1 Viceroy

I couldn't get photos of them all. They were very active and flew when I got close. The Viceroy and one of the Fritillaries were puddling on the wet sand.

Thumbnail by 2gardenkate Thumbnail by 2gardenkate
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have loads of Monarchs today after the sun came out, just too busy to tag them! I did get a new net this week and it does work better.
As for where, it is that you can buy tags....
www.monarchwatch.org/tagging

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I am so tired of this over-cast rainy weather during the time when migration is happening. I still have 25 tags left! I want some sunshine and Monarchs tomorrow please.

Edinburg, TX

Have been raising Gray Crackers from eggs laid on my dalechampia discoreifolia vine - one eclosed today! Yippie! Do hope what I release comes back to make use of my vine again.

~ Cat

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Oh...very cool Pud! Congratulations!!!! Is this your first year for Crackers? Did you tell them about my vines? I have two now very full with untouched leaves...and i've been waiting, searching, for those signs of nibbles and frass. I think they return once they have found a food source. It is sooo important for their survival. What do you have out for the Cracker butterflies to feed on?

Red Oak, TX

Cat -- great shots. I've got some Dalechampia discoreifolia vines -- small right now, but growing fast. I'm hoping to get down there early next month and get some Crackers to raise, among a lot of other species.

Dale

Dale Clark

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You guys are having too much fun!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Shiela, hope the sun came out for you today and your new net is filled with taggable. Do migrating Monarchs just hunker down on overcast days? I know they use the sun for direction,

The ones I released could easily be tagged compared to those I can barely snap a pic of let alone catch! When they flew off all of them went up high 40-50 feet or more until they were out of sight somewhere in the tree tops. I thought that they would flutter about, but they flew.

Amanda, have they found your landing strip yet?

Several more Painted Ladies visiting my yard butterfly bush and Abelia.

4 BST cats stll chomping on parsley. Night temps getting down to upper 30s mid week Any thoughts on possible protection for them if they don't pupate shortly or even if they do?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I might bring them in over night if you'll have frost. I read monarchs can survive freezing temps not sure about cats. If you can help the BST pupate they can hang out on your back porch over winter!

Can you believe I caught a Carolina wren trying to get at mine this morning? It had the lid open on a mesh butterfly house which is held together with a Velcro strip. Crazy! Good thing I saw it or I'd have lost 8 of them.

No monarchs for a few days, but this rain is not the best for them anyway. Will keep hoping to see more. Strange, not having had any cats this year.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Yay! A rare sighting of white peacock in my yard yesterday. This is only the second one I have seen in my yard and it was nectaring on the same plant as last year. I don't know if they are rare in South Texas, but they are a delight for me to see!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

A hummer from today..feasting on coral porterweed.

Lots of BFs around today too. I will try to get them to cooperate.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

oh Russell, so pretty, especially from the cold, dark and gray north!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Ditto that, Mrs. Ed, even though I'm not that far north anymore. Russel, coral porterweed. Have to look that one up. Discovered pineapple sage (Salvia elegans) this year. Fabulous red tubular blooms. Got them on clearance and had to prune a little to encourage growth and flowering. I think my hummers have flown so they won't get to try it till next season.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2013 4:16 AM

Red Oak, TX

Cool mornings have slowed down some of the more "frantic" fliers. Managed to catch this male Pipevine Swallowtail (Battus philenor) basking in the sun.

Russell, beautiful White Peacock. They're quite common in south Texas and along the Texas Coast. Would love to find one flying around my yard, but that's not terribly likely (although not impossible).

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Dale,

I guess the word got out that the buffet was open! I saw 4 White Peacocks in the yard today. Lots of others too. I am cleaning up some pictures and I will post some in a bit.

Russell

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Today was the BF bonanza...lots to see and I played hooky this afternoon!

Large orange sulphur? On coral porterweed.
White-striped longtail On blue porterweed.
White peacock on lantana
Tropical checkered skipper on blue porterweed
GF cat on passionflower

Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

And more!

American snout on blue porterweed
Another large orange sulphur on same plant
GST on hummingbird sage
Common mestra on necklace pod
Beat up GF on passionflower

Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Monarch
Queen on MFV

Great afternoon!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon

Wonderful Russell. I don't think I've ever seen a picture here of a common mestra.

I'm trying to learn my sulphurs, and so I thought maybe that first one was a Cloudless, because it has the two dots on the hindwing instead of one, which the Common/Orange has?

And what is MFV that the Queen is on? Very cute.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Mrs ed.

I am terrible at IDing sulphurs...you might be right. I don't see the common mestras often. Last year I saw a couple, and this is the first one this year. The MFV is Mexican flame vine. It grows like mad. I made a cutting from a neighbor's plant and now mine is covered in blooms and taking over my trellis.

These clear days with Northerly winds really make the BFs active.

Russell

I looked that vine up in plantfiles. Wowie. I'd like to have that. More zone envy!!! boooo-teee-full

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Yes, it is boooo-teee-full Mrs. Ed (Senecio confusus) a Mexico native (Veracruz, specifically). In addition, it has a heavenly fragrance. Living in zone 10b, i also have zone envy when i see photos of Buddleia davidii which do not do well here. I have found that for every tropical plant, there is a temperate zone equivalent and vice versa. The trick is finding that equivalent. This is the first year i've had Senecio confusus in my garden and it more than lives up to its reputation. It is a much beloved vine in my garden by me and all the butterflies.

le sigh. For what it is worth Vitrsna, my butterfly bushes don't do well here. I lose them every year. We'll see about this one this year. I put it in a pot.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great shots Dale and Russell. My MFV is in too much shade, I keep saying I am going to move it and never do. I have seen it in another DG member's yard years ago and it was gorgeous in full sun.

Red Oak, TX

Had a tagged monarch in my yard this afternoon. I was on the cell phone with a friend when I saw it and snapped a couple of shots -- which were, unfortunately, too blurred to see the number. When I reached for a nearby net, off he took up into the hackberries. I've got about 150 - 200 monarchs flying in the yard right now. They're not heading south against the strong south winds and I'm hoping this guy will pop down for more nectar before a cool front blows in tomorrow with lots of rain. I'd like to verify the number and report it to Monarch Watch, but we'll see if that happens.

Dale Clark

Thumbnail by lepfarmer
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Cool overcast and wet in west central Arkansas but still seeing some butterflies when the rain takes a break. Also several late Monarchs flying about the area and occasionally nectaring asters. Hopefully they will head southward to visit Sheila, Dale or Russell soon.
I noticed an unusual vistor to the Globe Amaranth, a "Mardi Gras" caterpillar which adorns itself with flower petals and pieces of plants to camouflage itself. Its mom was sighted about three weeks ago, a Southern Emerald moth.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy

Wow! I have never seen that before. So of course I googled and it's amazing. I wonder how they attach, I couldn't find video of that, just of the cat. Now I'll have to be on the lookout. thanks for sharing.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Awesome pic and information. Thanks!

No Monarchs lately, but a couple of mornings ago I spotted a sleepy orange sulphur hanging out in my car on the windshield. :)

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Cool camo job! When I got home this afternoon every plant had BFs on it. I scurried around the yard and snapped a few photos. Most of these are common to my area, but they are still interesting to me!

Russell

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

And a few more.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

1 more!

Thumbnail by yakmon

Oh Russell, how fun for you!

Red Oak, TX

Russell -- I'm envious of that Theona Checkerspot. Never had that in my yard but keep looking for one someday. I did have an unusual visitor yesterday - a Florida White (Glutophrissa drusilla). Didn't get a picture, though.

Dale Clark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.