DAILY PICTURES #105

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Dale, and congrats on the Florida White! Here's another view of the Theona Checkerspot.

It was a little beat up, but still a beauty.

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Another great day to BFs in South Texas!

Tawny Emperor - Another first for me
Mating GFs
American Snout silhouette
Southern Dogface
Tawny Emperor ventral view

I love this time of year!

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon Thumbnail by yakmon
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the silhouette of the dogface Russell, I got a similar shot once on a Turks cap.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Really great shots, Russel. Thanks for sharing. :)

Edinburg, TX

Dale, did you make it down for the Butterfly festival?

The crackers haven't been back and no sign of cracker eggs. The Common Mestras laid eggs on the d discoreifolia but I lost sight of the cats. I found 3rd instar Common Mestras cats on the tragia yesterday.

Berry in Falcon has Gray and Glaucous Crackers on his d. Elegans. I think that is the species. He gave me a small seedling that was growing great but something ate it down to an inch! Am thinking it was a rabbit???

Vit...I firmly believe if you plant it they will come. Give them time. Mexico has way more cool butterflies!!!! I put out butterfly brew and I also have citrus trees so I get brushfoots feeding on that. Mainly Tropical Leafwings and Common Mestras at this time. The lantana, Porter weed, salvias, cosmos, firebush and blue mist flowers are blooming so those attract the butterflies and moths.

Had 46 species on one huge blue mist bush earlier in the week. Even a Zilpa Longtail showed up but when I went to get my camera I couldn't find it again! Found three xerociris wilsonii caterpillars at the ranch - so cool looking! Also saw several Erichson's White Skippers - am usually lucky enough to see several there.

Ahhh and found this small Queen chrysalis on a butterfly garden stake in one of my flower beds - too cute and what makes a caterpillar pick the perfect center to pupate!?!?! Looks like a nose!

Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint Thumbnail by TexasPuddyPrint
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Beautiful photos everyone. With your pix of butterflies I sometime wished I live in Tx. or further South where I can see more butterflies for an extended time as we're heading into winter.

Lovely pics. Puddy, I too love that Queen chrysalis on the butterfly-garden stake. What a nice way to camouflage!

On our last thread, shorthog asked what happen to BST cats if they were to pupate during the month of Oct. Well I so happened to have one that pupated on Oct. 10th. and eclosed last weekend on Nov. 2nd. Here are pics. of the butterfly. I think it may have been a female BST?

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Pud...that's one cute caterpillar you have there and one i haven't seen before.

I have plenty of nectar plants, but i remember reading that Crackers are rotten fruit and meat eaters (along with Opsiphanes, which i have and Malachites which i anticipate) and i just don't know what food to put out for these butterflies and in what form. I don't fancy hanging rotten meat out because this would attract cockroaches. Any ideas? Does your brew contain some things that would attract the rotten meat and rotten fruit eaters who don't nectar? Oh, what to do.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Took these this afternoon. cabbage white larvae (Brassica Nigra) the plant
They have survived several frost freeze here , I presume they are staying for the winter (shortly)

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Edinburg, TX

Vit....no need for rotting meat here. The bananas, beer and brown sugar butterfly brew works well. Have seen various species 'feeding' on a rotting carcass at the ranch...not a pretty sight...and the stench! UGH!!! I've had Malachites in my yard but no takers for any if the larval host plants I've tried to tempt them with.

Haven't been keeping up with the threads but there sure are lots of awesome photos here! I forget how hard it is for y'all up north with butterflies emerging in winter. We're lucky if we get one cold day out of the year! Can't imagine ever living up north again now that I've had my lion's share of butterfly species living in south Texas.

Funny thing though Juhur...the Cabbage White is one species that we don't have!!!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

TPP" That is interesting as it is your Texas Native Mustard those are pupating upon ..
I would imagine however , that makes your "green" crop growers Very Happy!!!

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Thank you Pud...beer, raw sugar, too ripe bananas...sounds like something i would like too. I found some sites with recipes, detailed instructions, and serving tips, so i'm good to go as soon as i find some red dishes. So happy to know i don't have to deal with rotting meat.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Cool wet weather has slowed down insect activity here. However, when the sun shines briefly the flowers come alive with worn pale half frozen butterflies. A plate of ripe persimmons has attracted Commas and Question Marks as well as lots of wasp and yellowjackets.
It's nice to see Puddy on the site. A fountain of butterfly and nature information which can be accessed by clicking on TexasPuddyPrint's handle and going to the Garden Dairy.

1. Goatweed leafwing
2. Gulf fritillary
3. Checkered white
4. Eastern Comma
5. Question Mark on backyard Oak.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks like the Monarchs have all but gone through headed your way Cat. I have about six or seven more raised ones to tag and release as soon as they emerge. Glad you are still active on DG and keeping us updated on new and exciting finds!

Great pictures everyone...says person too lazy to take pics lately.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Brrr!!! Its chilly here. Hopefully butterflies are south of west central Arkansas. But to my surprise a couple of deep south invaders showed up on the zinnias yesterday. A Mexican Yellow was nectaring red zinnias and basking on oak leaves in the back yard. Sulphurs sure seem to love red and pink flowers.
Also, a lovely Gulf Frit liked the zinnias too. Maybe I should remove the flowers and encourage them to head south.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

No, don't rush them. They over-winter in chrysalis sometimes. I have even had caterpillars down here in February. This one was such a strange color I had thought it was a zebra, but Dale told me it was a GF. I have a lot of 'Blue Crown' passiflora that is evergreen, so I always have something for them.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

cats in FEBRUARY! sigh. more zone envy!

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

That is an unusual ghostly looking Gulf cat.
It appears that my butterfly sighting is done for this year. Had a hard freeze last night and the leaves are falling off the trees like fluttering butterflies.
My nephew called and said he saw thousands of Gulf fritillaries crossing the interstate between Laredo and Houston. Most of them hit his truck. He loves to get under my skin.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Could it have been the last of the Monarchs exiting before our freeze? I still had Monarch cats last week, so I snatched them up and took them inside. They are all in chrysalis now so hopefully I can release later if temps go back up in a week or so. Got to tag & release one just before this cold front.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

I quizzed my nephew this morning and his description makes me believe they were Monarchs. Do Queens migrate ?

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Saw a monarch on 11/11. Then we had a hard freeze (26 degrees) both yesterday and today. Hope he got far enough south before that.

Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727 Thumbnail by beclu727
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Mrs. Ed, you want I should beat up your nephew?

Nah. My nephew is only 11. You're thinking of Shorthog's nephew. :)

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Found this little guy enjoying my spotted bee balm.

Thumbnail by shauna1219
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's okay. I could still beat up an eleven year old. :D

ha! i'm sure you could. But he loves butterflies you'll have to cut him some slack. ;)

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Shauna, a really nice picture of a female Fiery skipper. The spots are really dark and prominent so must be a young lady.

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

TY Shorthog...first time I have noticed one of those in my yard. Glad she stayed and posed for me! :-)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Well. they are what i have on this cellphone, but are from this week. The orange was living until found today, as the freeze didnt appear to damage any plants and the bees are still swamping the basils and salvias. i dont know their names...

Thumbnail by kittriana Thumbnail by kittriana
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Finally found a website to answer the Queen migration question. I was pretty sure they did but needed to confirm it. http://www.gardenswithwings.com/facts-info/articles/2008NL/a0810MonarchMigration.html

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I caught a glimpse of a hummingbird type moth on the beach (Padre Island National Seashore) this weekend. It had an extremely long proboscis and was feeding on a yellow flower right on the beach. When I say long, I mean 3-4 inches! I got some video of it, but it was low light and my camera has a fairly slow frame rate, so I can't be sure what it was.

Here is a link to the video. I slowed it down some so you could see the moth better. Sorry for the poor quality...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_eyVQDabM&feature=youtu.be

This is a picture of the flower it was feeding on.

Russell

Russell

Thumbnail by yakmon
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Those guys are my favorite bug , really fun to see !!!

My avatar pic , has one top flower to the right ,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yowza!

That really did look like a bird, Russel. Thanks for sharing. :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great video Russell! The ones I usually see here are like that one on juhur's MW.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Russell, great video. The proboscis looks like a whip and the hawk moth is never still, darting from flower to flower.
I've never seen one like it in my area. Thanks for sharing.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks SH...that is the first one I have seen. I wish the video would have been more clear, but it was getting pretty dark when I was shooting. I was in my truck driving and thought it was a bird at first. This one was much bigger than any I have seen in my yard. You never know what you will see out there!

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

My babies.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Adorable! They look just like you, you must be so proud. Ha.

Glad to see a west coast butterfly lover here! I was wondering if the west coast Monarch numbers were still good or if you've had a decline like we have.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Congratulations Dome! Such sweet babies...eat, sleep, poop, fall asleep eating. The first Monarch of the winter season showed up in my garden yesterday, explored every corner, every plant, my head, left eggs, took her leisure at nectaring. It was such a pleasure...didn't bother with the camera :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Egads!!!

I almost forgot what they looked like.

I brought in half a dozen of my tropical MW plants if you need more food for the babies. I agree w Mrs. Ed. Striking resemblance. :)

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Doing fine on food. In fact I have these giant Asclepias physocarpa growing if the tropical milkweed runs out. Thanks for the offer though, I just sent a care package of leaves to someone else who is running out. I think it is about time to find out how well we can send the leaves to those cats in need. I sent stems so they could be put in a vase of water, we'll see.There is a grove of Eucalyptus trees not far from me where the monarchs come to overwinter. I went down there yesterday and there where hundreds of them sunning and flying about, really quite a sight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.