DESIGNING BEDS AT " GOD'S HOUSE"

Virginia Beach, VA

Good morning,

We worked from 8 AM --2 PM- The grounds had to be cleared because there was a wedding at 3-PM
Our first day of renovation of the beds was very organized. There was an easel with pictures of every bed and as volunteers came they got to chose the beds they are adopting. I adopted 2 beds.

We had juice, coffee and warm krispy cream donuts and papa johns pizza for lunch.

First thing on the agenda is weed, uproot the overgrown liriope and divide for the edge. DH had the task of trimming the overgrown azalea and did a good job.

The front of facing the road has pansies at the front and dwarf day lillies from another bed. it will look nice once the pansies fill in. we used 10-10-10 as fertilizer.The pansies will be replaced with golden tiara hosta from my bed because they are low and fast growing.

One of our parishioners is donating 16 yards of brown mulch and he was even there to help us. His wife is a friend of mine from food pantry.

I will be creating a rock garden with assorted sedum and variegated soft yucca and the back ground will be Mexican petunias. this bed is the exit door at the back side and this door is where the food pantry clients use. We have a very busy food pantry and serve 50- to 70 clients per day. We are open MWF and some Saturdays if needed for working clients.

Incidentally the heading is spiedbean suggestion. Thank you!!!

Stay tuned!!!

Belle

This message was edited Oct 29, 2013 3:52 AM

Virginia Beach, VA

Cancelling golf today to be at the site when the mulch gets delivered. The guy even volunteered to do the edging because he has a gadget that does it in few minutes. I get fascinated with anything that makes jobs easier.

Incidentally I used my reciprocating saw with an old blade to weed and uproot the liriopes.

Belle

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh WOW, it sounds like you've got this project really intelligently well-planned and coming along beautifully Belle!!!! 5 CHEERS FOR YOU!!!!!! < =D Goodness, I do hope we get to see photos at some point... allowances willing.

< =D HUGS!!!

Eeeeeek, you used a sawzall for liriopes!??! LOL, now THAT's a new one to me!!

Virginia Beach, VA

You should try it, it is effortless and I have to batteries!!! LOL!!!!

I am so resourceful sometimes.

Pictures will come i promise.

Belle

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Belle-please give us pictures of the Sawzall technique!!! I use mine (with a pruning blade they sell for green wood) for shrub and tree trimming. Then I cut up the branches for use later as kindling. I am having a hard time picturing using it for groundcover. I have considered using it on my Bartzella peonies, that have roots like an oak tree. Have also considered renting a steam shovel to get them out of the ground. I could divide them for a lot of trades...

Virginia Beach, VA

The easiest way to take pictures for me is mt cell phone but I do not know how to transfer images to dg.
I have to use my digital.
My reciprocating saw is is small and has assorted blades. I use it mainly to cut pvc for the garden as well as weeding. Just go under the weed/plant turn it on and walla weeds are gone.

I also use it to split plants. I am very resourceful sometimes.

I had not heard of sawzall technique.

Belle

Belle: "Sawzall" is just a brand name for a reciprocating saw. Same thing, but sometimes we just call it a Sawzall 'cause... well... it saws ALL. =)

As for branches etc.. I've got a gardening saw that I use for that. It came in a "kit" containing pruners, telescopic branch pruners, and the saw. I LOVE that thing!! =)

Virginia Beach, VA

I do not know what brand mine is but I bought it at lowes
Belle

Virginia Beach, VA

No gardening for me for 8 days. flying to Alabama to be with our G-son who is sick.

Belle

OH NOES!!! Prayers for your son!!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOX

Virginia Beach, VA

Our 4 year old Grandson is ill.

Belle

Oooops, forgot the "Grand" part. Fat Finger Syndrome. (or, more like "fat head syndrome")
< =/ Are you there now? How is he doing??

BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!

Virginia Beach, VA

I do not leave till 1:25 and gets there at 4:40 PM

He already called and asked if I have a surprise for him and wanted to know. it won't be a surprise anymore
He has still pain but the frequency is not bad and not too severe.
I will keep you updated and thank you for caring.

Belle

This message was edited Nov 2, 2013 5:58 AM

Virginia Beach, VA

I thank you for your prayers,He is much better. He woke up at 1 AM with mild pain.
The pediatrician finally prescribed something.

Have a nice weekend.
Belle

It's a pretty positive sign when he's asking for surprises! I like to hear that!! < =D

Virginia Beach, VA

He had not had pain in 48 hours but we are giving his meds at night.as a precaution.
We are skipping his meds tonight so hopefully he will not have pain.

i thank you for your prayers.

Belle

Please keep us updated on his progress Dear, I'm sure we'll like to see how well he's doing!

HUGS!!!

Virginia Beach, VA

Our G-son is doing well back in montessori school and eating very well. been pain free for 3 days.

Going home on Saturday.

I thank you for your prayers and caring.

Belle

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

How nice you could be there-he is old enough now so that he will always remember you visited when he was sick.

YAAYYY!!!! Thank you Lord, that you keep your promises and take care of your little ones!!!!

Virginia Beach, VA

I am back home and DH was happy to see me . He is not helpless but he is not a good cook.
Our G-son came to to airport and " Mimi don't forget me, I want to come with you"

Belle

Virginia Beach, VA

I was side tracked , we are almost finished the church re do landscaping with fewer volunteers. WE used 16 tons of mulched donated by one parishioner.

I donated a lot of golden tiaras and few yellow leaf hosta-- I can't recall the cultivar right now but will edit as soon as my brain is working LOL!!!!

It will be spring when I can post pictures I will be posting the before and after.

We still have several beds that are not adopted. i adopted 3 beds

Yes I got side tracked I was involved with several fund raising for the Philippine Islands disaster and we raised $250,000.00 on one of them !!! One of the area banks donated $100,000.00 and all area churches are doing special collections.

The Philippine Cultural Center is a hub for drop off of canned goods and clothes and so far we sent over 1,000 boxes!!! Such a good feeling!!!

Take care and stay warm!!!

Belle

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Belle, such great for both, you are a bright star!

Jan

Virginia Beach, VA

Spring planting was last Saturday and very disappointing because only 12 volunteers. We started at 7:30 AM, Dh had a golf tournament but delivered 2 truckloads of plants very early

It took few days to buy 30 hellebores , 20 knockout roses and tons of annuals. It's always very organized and all I do is place the plants where they are to be planted and everyone knows what t to do . We used 10 10 10 for fertilizer.

I must have donated few hundred golden tiara hosta. Somehow the ones we planted last fall was eaten by squirrels.

Also I donated several sedums.

It is very tiring but it will look nice and few parishioners already made commentsthat the garden looks nice.

Our parish priest is in haiti visiting our Orphanage.

Golf is in full swing and I try to play at least 3 days a week while DH plays almost everyday.

A lot to do in my own yard and the lady who was supposed to help me last Monday did not show up.

Happy gardening!~!!!

Belle

Virginia Beach, VA

I had not forgotten the pictures, i seem to be misplacing my digit camera.
also my husband was in the hospital for 3 days with final diagnosis of shocked liver. His liver enzymes was over 3000 and normal is 50-60.

We are now on our delayed vacation in the gulf, DH taking it very easy but recovering.

He has further tests.

Will keep you updated.

Belle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images