Do Fritillary Butterflies Hybridize?

Monkton, MD(Zone 6b)

I was preparing for a Butterfly talk that I am doing tomorrow for a garden club and when I looked closer at my photo it appears I have a blue-eyed Atlantis Fritillary and a brown eyed Great Spangled mating. This photo was taken in the Upper Peninsula of MI which is within both of their ranges. Do they cross species breed or is my photo unclear and they are both blue-eyed. Thanks for any input.

Thumbnail by ottahand7
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, they are not supposed to - but if you have a photo, then you have an exception to the rule. I would guess their eyes may appear different colors at different angles, though.
I do know their eyes see a different color range, so what appears similar to us appears radically different to the butterflies themselves. So they don't have the problems telling species and sexes apart that we have, so they are unlikely to make a mistake.

You might try the insect ID forum also.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2013 3:30 PM

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

I've seen lots of Great Spangled and neither of these are one. The spot pattern and eye color indicates both are Atlantis. What ? The red spot is the tip of the abdomen and not an eye. Note the antennae at both ends of the picture in order to get orientation of the individuals.
It's very helpful and educational that you are sharing your butterfly knowledge and pictures with others.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2013 10:46 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.