10 monarch cats lookin' good!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

One has pupated and then all the othrs look about the same size about 1 inch long. I thought I was not going to get any at all this year. I saw a monarch checking out the milkweed so it looks promising that there could be more soon.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well take good care of them , have you seen the numbers lately , so sad , I remember when 100's or 1'000's of them would fill the air during summer days here , saw 5 all summer ,
1/2 TO 3 MILLION!!! is all that showed up at the migration breeding grounds , migrating might be at an end of the type that does , Day of dead celebration of the Natives , none showed up , this year , first time ever since ??? who knows ..
We will still have a few , very few from time to time .. Sad to see another go ...

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Juhur, the number of monarchs is really depressing. But it's nice to hear that they are reproducing in Texas. Hope!!!

Lepfarmer in Dallas talks about rearing 1000's this year. There is hope?

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Congratulations on your caterpillars steady! Lepfarmer sure sounds like hope to me. On the other hand the forces against are formidable. Ref. an article in the New York Times published Nov. 22nd...sorry i do not have the URL but if you search "New York Times Nov 22 Monarchs" that should get you there.

I have two of the 10 that have eclosed and I watched one lay an egg. If I get more eggs, I'll have to co-opt my neighbor's milk weed. They have stripped the 10 I have to the bone.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well still hoping for them ;

Crowd chanting ; We Want Pic's !!! We Want Pic's!!! We Want Pic's !!! (foot stomping , hands raised etc..) excuse , lol

Well,I might get a pix of the egg and cats but the butterflies...I usually cant catch up with them.

Here ya go. I tried but could not get a clear photo of the egg. Best effort is pix 1. Next is the big guy and last is the only butterfly slow enough for me to catch, a sulphur. Photos taken Dec 2.

Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3 Thumbnail by steadycam3
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yay !!!!..... yay!!! ...... ^_^

I love the pics Steady , I miss the creatures ,,, here's what it looks like here ,,
pics,, I like yours better^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Sorry, Ju, that the weather bird has been harsh with you. We're all sitting here hoping it wont drop down too far and get us too.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am going to grow some alfalfa . this year for sulphur's I get a few of them .. I like the large one with the black trimmed wings..
White and yellow male and female ,, get the rare green color one too , rarely though , their more prominent further south ..
Some I would like to see more of,, I could be a lot better at organizing for BF's .. I tend to be trying to much sometimes , just have to learn to take my time ...
A few years as my stories from before . when somethings right it is and there are lots of BF's here , other times ,,not a hardly a one ,
I can tell why from what happens to the plants as that though .. ... The rare unfortunate of times when knowledge and effort aren't worth a thing ,,, fortunately , most often . there is a next time ..
Glad Monarchs might be wintering Texas and a few places , news is still not good about them .
If it were not for a few here , I would be thinking they have no chance at all , it is a hopeful thread , about that ..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cross posted , according to update ..

It's Winter , what can anyone say .. ? besides it's cold and I want spring to return , or weather like spring anyway ?

Down here we hope for at least enough cold to kill some of the insects. If not, they might eat us out of house and home, gardens included. The first year I lived here, the ecology had just changed drastically on this lot (new house) and everything I planted was eaten. Then I made a small pond and attracted some frogs and toads and lizards and the following year I had a fighting chance to grow something. Still bugs but not overwhelming.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Bugs here are awful as well .. I have always seen and had a few in my gardens , only here I can hardly get a seedling in the ground before it is eaten or chopped by something ,
it gets difficult and frustrating when every seedling has to be 7 inches to a foot tall before you can plant them .
Only exception was this past springs leaf lettuce .. and that was nice,, only not real satisfying as to everything there was ..
Lots of DE and pepper juice spray !!!
Makes building containment cages for cats more practical , and letting the lizards , toads , and frogs .eat all the bugs they want ....
Difficult to get nature balanced around the garden ,, we , us people have that effect , of course if it wasn't for us people , some would not exist at all anyway .
Were not always the cause ,us people ,,, even though , most of us have a real messed up view of Extermination &Extinction theories & practices ...
Someday the all of that just might go and get together ,, if it does though ,, it will be a while .. difficult ....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.