Hobart, IN

Hope everyone made it through yesterday's storms intact. I think IL might have gotten the worst of it but I know northern Lake Co, IN got hit with a lot of power outages. Didn't hear much about how things are south of here.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Line was from north here a few miles , Kokomo ,Lafayette .
A few places This is the fist Monday that Kokomo Schools are open , Lafayette schools are substitute buildings . Wasn't much here , close it was though .

Beautiful day here today , 50 degrees sunny , I am hoping the ground will thaw so I can plant a couple of new apple trees , still playing with winter sow ideas .

Hobart, IN

Whoa - you are playing with the temps. You're braver than I am. Temps decent but cloudy and misty here with a few light showers on and off. Getting the bird bath with heater set up tomorrow in anticipation of the colder temps coming. With the holiday, I haven't had brain space to think about winter sowing yet.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya Cindy!!! It will stay 50 today to 60 tomorrow while it rains , then temps plummet .Cut back the stinging nettle outside today . put the plant markers in my elderberry wintersow can . Got the radish sprouts started for my indoor greens .
Another little greenhouse container to do for tomorrow.
Did get my trees planted yesterday or day before ,(memory thing) lol?
Looking for shade greens , small ones , purslane did not go so well indoors ,(that is bad) lol
As it seems parsley and few will have to do ...?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Back to the thread . ice rain ,sleet coming down here now . Winter Storm warning ,until Friday midnight ,
Coming down heavy . sounds like someone emptying a buckets of slush ..
Back with pics later , after it snows tonight .. Big storm , goes all the way back to Texas , This may be here a while !

Hobart, IN

I've had some luck with leaf lettuces indoors but they would need some supplemental light since our dreary winters don't give us much sun.
Be careful out there with the ice and snow. We missed this round of nasty weather although we may get a few snow flurries over the weekend. I'm supposed to drive with DD down to Columbus, IN on Mon or Tues to pick up GD but I think it will depend on the weather.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Be careful with the driving coming this way . a few pics .. it snowed a little .
3rd pic radish sprouts

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Today ; and the container '

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Thanks for posting those inspirational sprout pics. I'm hoping that, after the holiday bustle, I can get some sprouts going. Have new grow lights that I'm wanting to try out.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

HI Cindy; I hear and see your in for 8 to 12 inches of snow here shortly.
And for some of you other northern living folks , good hopes and luck , be careful in all that ..
Excuse not to wintersow ?

and HERE I thought I was being a smarty ; teasing about the weather ,
Winter Weather Advisory until 7 pm Thursday here;
That's what I get for thinking ! lol

This message was edited Jan 1, 2014 9:44 AM

Hobart, IN

Yup - winter weather advisory here. I don't worry until the lake effect snow hits, especially when the winds are out of the east. Good day to pack away Christmas decorations, make ham and bean soup and rearrange house plants. Not going out today for sure.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well it snowed .
below zero temps are no big deal to most of you here , only they are still cold .. lol
Snowstorm; possible blizzard for Sunday coming ,, fun ,,, uh huh right ?

Had to sneak my stump in .. last pic ...lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Hobart, IN

Our snow isn't supposed to let up until tomorrow morning - lake effect. The high temp for Monday is forecasted at -8. Ugh. Certainly making up for the last two mild winters. Did work on order for veggie seeds with DD today. Tomorrow I'll start dreaming about flowers.

Hobart, IN

Still snowing here and supposed to snow all day before the wind and cold kick in. I guess I'm grateful for the snow to help insulate before it gets frigid. Not going anywhere today or tomorrow. DH is supposed to fly out to AZ on Thurs out of Midway so hoping this weather won't cause another mess at the airport like it did a few days ago.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

About the same here; 35 degrees falling later to -14
Snowing heavy now ..
Would of done wintersow yesterday , today , but everything is under snow .. I will get there though ,, Bought some beet seeds a few other greens .
Hey , Arizona ? Sounds warm ... warmer than here ..
I just hope the power stays on here ..
I do have a few Kero- Sun heaters , but I don't like moving them around in the house , and you have to fortress watch them as most around here have no idea of what they are ... you know , they kick them walking by , I guess to see me frown or something ... Things like that ..
I don't get a lot out of wind up lights . filling the heaters , but it is better than freezing in the dark ... ^_^

Hobart, IN

Did the shoveling/snow blowing thing with DH earlier today but I'm sure we'll be back out there later this afternoon again. While I have natural gas heat, I'll lose it if the power goes out. 'Bout the only thing that would stay warm in that case is the garage and the little GH. Have portable propane heaters but that won't help much indoors. Have gas stove that can work in a pinch but electric oven. Last winter loss of power was about 15 years ago in March so it wasn't as cold as it is now.
I am going to sow some lettuce seeds tomorrow for growing under the lights. Went to my local garden store (open year round) and bought some goodies so I'm ready for that.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here a while ago , 32 degrees and holding steady /
lots of snow , still falling
As for shoveling , I'm a wimp ,, this stuff is heavy , icy , muck ,,!
Did get a pair of tracks to the street though , that's something , sort of.

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

in the 2 snow storms, we got about 17" of snow... and it's subzero now... WGN said the temps are still dropping -- currently -15f with howling winds making it feel in the neg 40's.

My son's boss told him to stay home today.

everyone stay warm this week... though it does look like it will warm up a bit for the weekend.

Hobart, IN

Temp here is -14 with wind gusts but not as windy as yesterday so snow isn't blowing around as much. I am in a protected area and not in the wide-open spaces like 80/94 or 65. Those roads are still closed (sort of). Small snow plow came through last night but got stuck in our cul-de-sac and only cleared about one lane's worth of snow. Not leaving the house today anyway and my chore for the day is cleaning the worm bin and harvesting castings. Better than washing dishes.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I shoveled some yesterday , but, about the same here , I'm not doing the -13 shoveling in a -38 25 mph wind or so , that's what snow blowers and motorized plows are for , lol
weather radio last at midnight woke me up beeping out a 7hr Blizzard warning , after 13 inches of snow had fallen .
A few looks here ..

Hobart, IN

So far, sunny this morning. Wind is pretty calm and the breeze seems to want to change direction NOT out of the north. We haven't been able to get out of our subdivision but the snow plow came through last night so that means shoveling out all of the snow at the end of the driveway. We're supposed to hit 0 around noon-ish - a heat wave.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi ya , it's -13 going for 8 above ? .
Watching the weather channel this morning I saw all that cold air around the country .
Except for part of California and the tip of Florida . it's all below freezing ,,
You don't see that often ...
Sunny here also .. A few water problems here with the pipes , but, that is about all ..
Once again , winter is pretty ,, but ,,,,

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

we were sunny, but it has clouded over. not sure what that means, but we're still cold.
since the trash pickup yesterday was cancelled due to the cold, i was able to run around the house and gather what we tossed yesterday -- and got it out to the can before they came. ~~Still very cold out there, I noticed in my 2 minute trek.

I'll go out tomorrow....

stay warm...

Hobart, IN

DH says the cloudiness that's been coming and going is a good thing, bringing warmer air. Finally got out of the house this afternoon and ran a few errands. Even though I'm basically a stay-at-home person, it was nice to get out. Did have to buy some organic parsley seeds at Menards - they're carrying Seeds of Change seeds this year. Praying to the airline gods that DH's Thurs flight out of Midway to AZ doesn't get delayed or that he doesn't get bumped and to the weather goddess to melt the ice on the expressway since I have to drive him to the airport.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

today should be our first day in the "positives" - temp-wise
long range shows 39 for sunday... a real heat wave. It also shows 5 days in a row in the 30's. Time will tell.

I have to run out today, will be looking for some 'soil' so I can hopefully get a bit of WSing done in the next week or so.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

going upward and onward to the 20's today , skies are gray again , chances of flurries ,
Waiting for the 40 degree temperature and rain . Snapdragons , a few more Poppies and some Daylily seeds need Ws
I'm not real good with surprise winter temperatures . About 18 above is the lowest I deal well unto ..
I don't know what winter does really , only I get a lot of nerve pains from 0 + atmosphere.
Maybe it's an age thing , ?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.