Tell me Red perennial salvias you love!

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

In lower zone 8 if a salvia on the label when bought says it grows 3 foot
here it grows close to 5 foot tall..same in width.
I am looking at the perennial red Darcyi salvia which it seems to grow way
taller and wider in the southern states than it states on sellers sites
it might get to 5 foot tall and 7 foot wide and they say 3 foot by 3 foot
on seller sites..

Is there any red perennial salvia other than Furmans red and autumn sage in the greggi
woody family that grows in the south well and does not take the entire flower bed over..
I need red salvias long blooming for an area no more than 4 foot wide when full grown..
and same in height...4 foot..

anyone grown San Carlos salvia or Daryci perennial red salvias..tell me the full grown width and height
yours got to..

Do you know a bright blue vivid that stands out the bloom color in the hot south, afternoon shade
here morning sun..but hot summers that makes a great show of blue blooms?
Stands erect?
this is my flower bed, I have trellis with 9 clematis, iris and daylillies and two red greggi woody small growing red salvias..and some coneflowers..the bed looks empty here as I had just trimmed and pulled out some beautiful but HUGE black and blue perennial salvia that over took the entire bed..they grew 7 foot by 7 foot wide in one summer but were awesome in blooms and stood up erect well most of the time

thank you
sheri dragonfly zone 8

Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

That is a beautiful bed, Sheri.

What about this one for blue: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/81879/

I have had a similar one. I'm not sure it will get as tall as PF says but they do stand very upright and tolerate the brutal summer sun and humidity here.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

You wanted red salvia suggestions. Since your in zone 8b I know you will be happy with the "Lady in Red" salvia. It does however reseed prolifically; but is a great pass-along plant to gift others. It takes full hot Texas sun, but will also grow and bloom in shade! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/279150/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

She also asked for a bright blue.

I've also grown Salvia 'Mainacht' (May Night) which is comparable to the one I suggested earlier. It is outstanding in our summer heat and humidity.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, that is a good one Cville.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

thank you for your wonderful suggestions..
I tried may night and it just went zap here
pretty but did not do well here at my home
after shade ..but half day sun
must have been to hot or too humid..

I am going to try mexican tula for the centerpiece of the bed..
huge I am sure down south...5 by 5 foot or more
One huge one will work..but want shorter ones in the future..

that flower bed picture was ratty looking I posted of mine
It is gorgeous with green in it and filled out and lush in may and june..
after that the heat just finishes up all flowers here..
Sheridragonfly

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

has anyone tried red cervena, think that Flowers by the Sea sells that one?
sheri

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Not sure if this qualifies as a perennial, but it does return from the original plant and seeds itself sometimes, Pineapple sage. a real hardy performer. wonderfully scented edible leaves, loads of true red blooms until frost. It draws hummingbirds, bees and butterflies.
And one of my faves, but might not make it in your heat ..salvia Guarnitica Black and blue. It is a real stunner with brilliant blue flowers and lime green leaves.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

pineapple sage salvia gets huge and is annual. I love it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I just planted my pineapple sage. I love it as well.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

My pineapple sage came back! I almost did a dance when I found out. I love it and coccinea (annual, but plenty of seeds). :):):)

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

SheriDragonflys, Ya know, I am a goof... Had I read the whole post, I'd have seen your problem with the black and blue. Duh. And that you are looking for greggi.
I think I am becoming the PR rep for pineapple sage lately. I just love it and find myself urging people to plant it. Lol! It can get kinda big. And same with The black and blue. In my case, I WANT it to get big and lush . When the B&B came back this year I was overjoyed to see how it has spread out. Not eveyone's cup of tea.
So, what is the consensus? Is pineapple sage an annual? It comes back from the original plant sometimes, even after dying down to the ground.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

my pineapple sage always comes back. it shoots up from the roots

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

My golden-leaved pineapple sage is showing leaves now. I am not sure about the other one, if it will come back. They both did last year, but every year is different...at least as far as weather is concerned. They are the stars of my "cottage garden border".

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Quote from scarletbean :
SheriDragonflys, Ya know, I am a goof... Had I read the whole post, I'd have seen your problem with the black and blue. Duh. And that you are looking for greggi.
I think I am becoming the PR rep for pineapple sage lately. I just love it and find myself urging people to plant it. Lol! It can get kinda big. And same with The black and blue. In my case, I WANT it to get big and lush . When the B&B came back this year I was overjoyed to see how it has spread out. Not eveyone's cup of tea.
So, what is the consensus? Is pineapple sage an annual? It comes back from the original plant sometimes, even after dying down to the ground.

I agree on BB and Pineapple sage. My daughter has asked what my favorite plants are, and I could never answer. Now, I know, b/c those were the two I most worried about. :) I even yanked one BB b/c I thought it did not come back and out it in a pot. It is showing shoots. :)

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Carolinaflower8- Jeez! I ripped my blk&blu out of the ground3 years ago in early spring, thinking it was a goner.It had been very mild winter and a warm spring, everything else was up and rampant. I pitched the tubers and roots and decided not to compost them,but took them to the dump with our other trash. Humph! Not a week later, I was at the nursery where I had bought them the year before, hoping to replace them. I was resigned to using it as an annual. After I told the nursery what I did, she said "oh, didn't you know? they come back late. if you have the tubers in the compost pile, replant them." Aaaaarrrrggh!!!

e inthegarden, I have not heard of golden leaf pineapple sage. I will look it up. Does it flower the same?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Scarlet, it is sooooo late coming back!! I bet you were frustrated. Even when it does show green, it moves extremely slowly. It is so hard to know what to do....especially the first year. :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

My Pineapple hasn't showed it's sprout so it may be a goner. On the other hand the B&B is about 14 " tall already. My Scarlet is showing sprouts from seed everywhere.
I love the B&B but it can be a thug in the flower bed. I have divided and shared only to have it show up again where I dug. This is what the root system looks like. The feel is like a black walnut coating.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW
Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Is IS like a black walnut! That is a pretty planting there, a nice cool welcome by the door.
My b&b is abot 5 inches tall, and has formed a nice circle around the original 2 plants. I kinda want to dig some up to put in another spot, but maybe I should wait and take cuttings.(I have never had success with cuttings from this plant) I am so surprised by the return of the b&b, especially due to my crappy clay soil. The pineapple sage is just poking up, and only in one spot. I have some seedlings I started last month, so i can supplement whatever wont come back.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

My neighbor's black walnuts fall in our yard. Thx for the photo, as they do look exactly like black walnuts!

I am envious...my B&B is nowhere near as high as either if yours. It is growing, though! :)

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Carolinaflower8, don't despair, mine is only that tall in one spot. The rest are just clearing a couple inches. Yours will get big. and it will have lots of pretty blue flowers. What IS taking its sweet time is the pineapple sage. I would like to branch out and try some other salvias this year. Maybe my agastaches will do better this year. I have started them with seed but they just kind of went down the tubes last year, never really took off.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is not a current picture Carolinaflower, mine is only about 2 1/2 foot tall now. Also I dug a lot of that one out to replace with the TX native Zexmenia last year. Unfortunately as I said it came back up in some areas. I love to watch the hummers as I come and go through the door, so it may stay this year.

Montgomery, AL(Zone 8b)

I love the black and blue salvia if I had a spot 6 foot by 6 foot for one plant
it was beautiful in the center of my large flower bed but in two years it over took it...
it spreads.. it is the most beautiful for flowering and standing pretty erect
and hummers love it..outstanding ..
I love pineapple sage and had one gorgeous one y ears ago but it did not return
even with a mild winter of maybe one 32 degree night that winter..it was not in
a boggy place either..
this year I have 2 microphylla pink two tones salvia.they grow big but I made room for
each one..and I have two ensign blue blooming salivas..and made room for them
redesigned the entire flower garden last fall ..preparing for the new salvias which came in
march..I ordered them from Vincent Gardens in Douglas Georgia..I got the largest containers
from them.
So am looking forward to showing you pictures of them when they are large and fill in
the garden space nicely..
Just love the salvias, like you all do on here..
Sheri/sheridragonfly

Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys Thumbnail by Sheridragonflys
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

I always order my salvia from Vincent Gardens. Donna has the best plants, nice and healthy.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the reassurance. I checked today, and my oldest one is starting to pick up speed! :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Is this a black and blue salvia? It looks and smells a tiny but different than my others, but I think it us. I just want to be sure. :) I pulled it from somewhere else in my yard, and it has never bloomed.

This message was edited May 1, 2014 9:36 AM

Thumbnail by Carolinaflower8 Thumbnail by Carolinaflower8 Thumbnail by Carolinaflower8
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

CF8 - Pretty certain it is BB Salvia because of the purplish hairy tender stems. If it is B & B, the main stem will be square with purple on the corners.

When you are sure, please post the first picture on PlantFiles.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I hope it is, thx! This one has leaves farther out from the stem than my oldest one, so I think it will be huge. :) I will check stems tonight and update. I will see about getting pic in files, too, if it is a square stem.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd have to agree, it sure looks like B&B. I think the leaves smell like cat pee.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I pulled one of the unsure stems and one of the stems from my definite BB plant. They are very close....the unsure is just slightly lighter. I am probably just worrying too much. Thanks! :)

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I had 2 pineapple sages last year..one with lime-colored leaves and the other with regular green leaves....so far, the lime-colored one has survived and is growing...

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Ive never seen a lime leaf color, I bet it looks nice with the red flowers. I got a pineapple mint this week, it has variegated ruffly leaves and will get some tiny pink flowers. The smell is nice, but not as distinct as pineapple sage. I put it in front of a major wheeler honeysuckle that has finally taken off and is blooming like crazy (after 2 years ) . The bottom of it is just kind of bare and I hope the light leaves of the pineapple mint will look nice in contrast with the dark green leaves and clusters of red trumpets with orange throats on the honeysuckle.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

So, my oldest BB is going to be HUGE! It has spread out a lot. I need to look up how to divide it so I can give some to my awesome sil. :) I think the lighter one is BB...it looks more like it now. Yay! :):)

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Carolinaflower8, I dont know how to divide it, but cuttings are supposed to be really easy. I am happy for you to share your plant success!
I noticed my b&b has a bud stalk! Cant wait for it to flower, as this will bring hummingbirds!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

My B&B is finally starting to open! I'm so excited.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I had no problems dividing B&B.
Mine grew too rambunctiously for the place it was in,
so out of necessity I just took one shovelful after another from the perimeter and spread it to other places. Worked like a charm.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I grow SC Festival and would describe it as a raspberry red or a very strong pink. Another descriptor c/b "azalea red". If you need just red, not sure SCF fits the bill. As to the plant itself, I love it, really easy plant. My shrub is at least 3 yrs old , don't remember, and it is approx 18" high x 4 ft wide. It has been partially pruned twice.

I ADORE Flowers by the Sea, their plants and website and staff.

Tall red perennial salvia: a. confertifolia, which looks like s. Madrone, but red. Don't think it is easy to find.

Blues: like the pale blue of Argentine Skies, but can be enthusiastic.

Strange, but have never been successful with BB, just as well, I guess

This message was edited May 18, 2014 9:01 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images