Is it necessary to use comic book boards?

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I have been trying to decide whether to fold all my fabrics and store them on my bookcase shelves instead of totes. At least I could see what I had instead of sifting thru large totes all the time..
Quite a few articles and forums recommend using the stiff card stock that is used for Comic Books, since it's acid free (?). I'm assuming that poster board, cardboard boxes, etc have a quality that would affect fabric or something.
Anyone here use the Boards for folding their fabrics, or is it better to just fold neatly and stack the fabrics? The bookcases aren't on a wall that gets direct sunlight...

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

i just fold and stack. I think the advantage of using the boards is that your fabric will stand up, sorta like it does on the bolt. easier to pull from??

this is part of my room

Thumbnail by barefootT
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I started to do that, then wondered how many quilters actually use the boards. I had read somewhere that this person was using the cardboard from boxes or shirts or whatever she had, and someone else jumped up and down saying that you can't use regular cardboard because it would damage the fabric (?). She never replied saying WHY not to use it, but said only to use the boards.
It's not like my sewing room will end up looking like a photo shoot anyway! Just wanted to be able to actually find a piece, when I'm sure it's there somewhere.. I've dug around in my stash so much lately, I'll need to iron some before I fold it... LOL
Thanks for the reply Thunder, have a great day! Or at least better than here - it was -6 this morning!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Ya, looking for a better way to storage fabric here too!

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

I received some of the board for a gift last year....loved the way I could get my smaller pieces together so it was easier to see what I have. I checked around and found acid free foam core boards and made my own. I, personally, like them but not for larger yardage pieces. Anything above 3 yards seems to be bulky so I continue to fold and stack it on the shelves. I do go back every now and then to refold so as not to make creases that will be difficult to press out when needed.

I found my boards I cut at Hobby Lobby. Michael's also carries the board but was out the time I went there. Since HL is closer to my house, I continue to buy them there. Hint for cutting the boards if you try this......I borrowed my son's large contracters T-square to score the lines. Took measurements from the ones I had received as gifts. Regular quilter's squares will work but the other is faster due to the size.

Did any of that make sense? Really tired from staying up and watching the 'Nole play last night. Oh yeah, they did win but only after what is referred to here as "giving everyone cardiac arrest".

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Marion, I'll have to check the craft store across the river to see if they carry it. Or I'll look online. Luckily, we do have a large contractor's square, and a few various other sizes. Good idea. Most of what I have in totes are under 1.5 yds, and you can cram lots of FQ size pieces in a tote. Makes it nerve-wracking to search for a piece that you just know is in there!
It's now 3 here @ 2pm... I walked out to the curb to bring in trash cans, wasn't as bad as I expected since the walk was in the sun mostly. But I wouldn't want to stay out there long. It was -6 this morning.... brrrr

It is currently 25 on my back deck, still have ice scattered around from the rain.

When wrapping my fabric I do group them by color so it makes it really easy to see what patterns in what color you have for scraps. I really love doing mine this way.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I started sorting mine into colors, except for Christmas, patriotic, flannels and baby prints. In a small room, that many totes take up way too much room. However, I think my bookcases will be filled up before I get all the totes emptied... LOL

...and I wonder why? :-) Can you say: "fabriholic"?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Marion, I was watching the game with you! Ive tried sorting my fabric so many times, and then that leads to doing something that always stalls the sorting. I do bring the board home from joanns so I can wrap the bigger pieces and stand them up on the top shelf of closet. Its darn nippy here too, but the sky is so blue with the bright sunshine.
Trying to get something cut and ready for when I get home, ( fingers crossed), from some surgery. I wont be able to use the rotary cutter for a little bit, but im sure I can press that foot pedal ;-). Im having a go at the star quilt along.

I was trying to crochet but needless to say I was doing more ripping than crocheting. I used to save the boards the fabric came in but for some reason stopped getting them. I am very pleased so far with this other method...who knows about next month.

It is still nippy here...hasn't gotten to 30 yet on my back deck...that's not nippy that is down right COLD!!!

Hope the surgery goes/went well Pam.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

good luck with your surgery, Pam! Maybe the sewing will help you recover faster, take your mind off other things.
Marion, I remember you all warning me about 'stash' when I started on this board..... LOL Then Thunder got me into Brights, and then the patriotics, and Karen helped me along on a lost quilt pattern and then the Swaps started.... NO, I am not a hoarder.... I just collect alot of pretty things! LOL
Even baking cookies and banana bread all afternoon and running an extra heater in the living room only brought up the temp in here to 62... raising the thermostat isn't an option when gas prices are up again. Gonna have to get me some Cuddle Duds, I suppose. Haven't worn those for many years!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Saw this posted on FB yesterday. St Joseph Lighthouse in MI, on Lake Michigan at -50
Karen... you're better off in TN.... LOL

Thumbnail by Kizmo

We keep our inside on the cool side. So far it is comfortable providing we wear our sweats.

Yes, I do agree, we all are lovers of pretty things be it fabric or.........you can fill in the blank. :-)

Yeah, I am NOT a quilter but a block collector and FABRIC collector!! I really am hoping to become a REAL quilter this year and get some work DONE. I'm hopeful... my sweet DIL is interested so I'll have a partner in crime .. errr .. aw.. I mean sewing. My son will kill me if I help her fill their house with fabric! LOL

Pat, I so envy you having a DIL who wants to learn. My DIL sews but doesn't seem to be interested in doing the type things I do. She does mostly monogramming. She just opened a small shop inside the local Vera Bradley store and does her work there......for Vera Bradley and others.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Mine is just folded and stacked. No boards, etc.

Thumbnail by happytail

Ohhhhhhhhh... my sewing room wants to grow up and look all neat and tidy like YOUR's!!!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

wow...

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Double WOW!!!!!

triple wow!

Well, my husband got his 4 car garage when we built the house, so I felt it was only fair that I got my sewing room. And it is nice and big, but of course there's never enough room, no matter how much space you have.

That is sooooooooo true. I could easily fill any room available.

Going back to the comic board, I wonder if I cut some standard sizes in cardboard, then used them to fold the fabric whether I could achieve a neater, more pleasing to the eye presentation like Happytails sewing room. Her room is beautiful with such a sense of order!!!

What I mean to say is, use the cardboard as a template, fold and slide off the card to store. Does that make sense? Years ago there was an advertisement for a gadget that you used to uniformly fold shirts and towels. you folded in on the heavy plastic template and then slid it out, leaving uniform and neat appearance of the fabric.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I used to keep some of the little cardboards that came with my FQs, when I started out. Now I prefer to buy just a yd or two, and have it on hand rather than just a small piece. Someone told me once that using regular cardboard to store fabric on (long period, not just to use for a template) that the fabric would eventually discolor due to the chemicals that ordinary cardboard contained. That was the reason for my original question.
I like your idea, it would make a more uniform stack, keeping all of it one size, except for the thickness of the larger pieces. I remember seeing that shirt folder thing for the first time on the TV show Big Bang, LOL. I always wondered how the stores kept all those shirts folded so neatly on their shelves and tried to refold them the same way after I had looked at one, but never could quite make it look as crisp. After you're in charge of keeping your department tidy, it's probably a no-brainer!
If I ever got my sewing room to look like that, I wouldn't want to go back in there to sew! Mine looks more natural if it appears a tornado hit it.. LOL

Ya, I'm afraid even if my Fairy Godmother went in there and cleaned and organized and had it all spiffy, "I would happen" to it. My mother used to call me a tornado. But I do so envy the look and but know maintaining it for me would be impossible. At this point, I just want to get it all unpacked and know where it is!! That is my more realistic goal me right now.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I know exactly what you mean - I packed up my sewing room a couple months back to remove all the carpet. Bought a couple bookcases to organize my books, patterns, and some of the fabrics that I wanted to keep for the Christmas projects. Sounds simple enough, right?
First thing I couldn't find was the seam ripper, so I just bought a new one. Then I couldn't find some patterns I had printed out, after that it just went downhill! No matter what I started, there was a part that wasn't there, or fabric I couldn't locate.The room is only about 10x15, so all that has to be there somewhere!! Makes it hard to stay concentrated on what I'm doing if I have to stop and look for something every whipstitch. I have a pillowcase to finish tomorrow, then off to IN for a week. Maybe I'll remember where things are if I'm not here physically.. LOL

LOL, seems we all share a common "where did I put it" disease right now. I couldn't find any of my rotary cutters....I have several. Bought me a new one and wouldn't you know I then found 3!! Oh well prepared for later I guess.

Kathy, enjoy your visit...as if I needed to say that! :-)

Pat, you and I must be kindred souls. My husband calls me "Hurricane Leslie". And believe me, that sewing room never stays that way. That's why I took that picture, to memorialize it. If only you could see it right now...but the fabric does look nice all folded neatly in that bookcase.

Hehehe... yep, take a picture and post it as a record of it "once" being neat and spectacular?

(tish) near Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a long acrylic ruler that is about 6 inches wide. I roll the fabric around it, pull out the ruler then fold that length to what size I want, either in half or fat quarter size. I found this idea on you tube. Quick and looks good stacked or in a drawer. Even works with larger odd shaped scraps. tish - loving the snow in Md this week but not the 18 degrees today.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Excellent idea.

Chuckey, TN(Zone 6b)

I use the styrofoam sheets that are used for presentations at school. They are acid free and measure 20X30 inches. I cut each one into 10 sheets measuring 10X6" and wrap the fabric around them. I have a 10' wall filled with fabric and these are just as functional as the comic boards and a lot less expensive. They cost me $1.00 per sheet at my local Dollar Tree store and I get 10 out of them so you can't beat the price. I have never had one of them break or bend so I am a happy camper.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

are these the ones that are styrofoam on the inside and a paper coating on the outside? My dad called those 'foamcore'. Or are you referring to just a solid sheet of styrofoam?

Chuckey, TN(Zone 6b)

They are the ones with the paper coating on the outside and 'foamcore' is what my DH calls them.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

okay, thanks! I'll have to look at Lowe's the next trip over..

For lovers of reading this is definitely a must. And I'm not talking about fans of electronic books)) Moreover, lately, there is a lot of things to read, for example, https://ourculturemag.com/2020/11/18/5-poetry-books-that-every-college-student-needs-to-read/, to watch the best books and take something for yourself to the library. This is useful for books.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2021 10:59 AM

This message was edited Apr 22, 2021 11:00 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.