Liriope care

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

25 years ago my yard was eroding every time it rained. My lot sits on the corner of streets with sloping elevation. There was liriope growing all over the place, so I dug it and replanted it outlining my lot and slop areas. Over the years it has done a tremendous job helping reclaiming my property.

I was did not bury the roots, just set the clumps on top of the areas where it took root and formed dams over the years.

The problem: I want to get rid of the old top growth to encourage new green, but it is so tough I can not cut it. The fact that there is a mound of growth at least 6 inches high kind'a gets in the way of whatever I have tried. Definitely DON'T want to kill it.

Any suggestions?
Photo taken through the banksia rose because it is too cold to run around outside this morning!

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You can mow it or use hedging shears or any good scissors for that matter but scissors will take the longest.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I have heard you can just use a weed whacker on it, but have never tried it. I'm thinking about doing it this spring to tidy mine up.

Entlie

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, that is another method. The cut may be more ragged but I don't think it really matters. My parents mow theirs and I use a hedger for mine or just let the rabbits take care of it.

(Zone 9a)

Lawn mower or weed whackers work fine on this stuff. It is good to do it every year then you always have fresh new leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.