A wonderful book

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I feel like I am always a little behind ..
I discover a good book, movie, or TV program and it seems like everyone already knows about it --

But on the chance you have not read this -- it truly is wonderful.
Harold Fry has something to teach.
He may be up there with Owen Meany....

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - a Novel

It may start a little slow -- give it a moment.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Don't feel badly. I'm always behind. I am currently fourteen years behind you with a T.C Boyle's book, Riven Rock. I looked up your book and will read it soon. Sounds great.

As for TV and movies...I'm lame. So lame that when Google news informs me of someone's birth, death or gayness I usually have no idea who they are. lol

For a few weeks I told those at work about a show on TV. I felt like there was a private joke but could never get in on it..... While I dutifully reported each week about this strange show with tribes and people being voted off an island ..,turns out they all knew who got the top prize! I was watching a first season rerun in probably the third year of "Survivor". It was a novelty to me - reality TV. I think I have to get out more. I get behind in reading because I also read books I like a few times over the years and always get more from it.

I am lame too. I only lsten to public radio. What could posdily be on the other stations?

I finished Riven Rock. Will start Harold Fry tonight.

It isn't a story that keeps you turning pages but it is thought provoking and Harold is a very likable and honorable fellow. I hope you enjoy it.

I'm a quarter of the way through. Think I read faster than Harold walks.

But he gets a lot accomplished even if he goes just a mile.

I am 3/4 through. It is better than I originally thought. Do you think we sometimes rate books against the last read and they suffer as a result? I think so.

I felt the same way.

I am not sure -- I think it depends on the state of things as we undertake the read.

Also, I never would have appreciated this quietly probing and introspevtive tale or its gentle protagonist in my younger days.

Wichita Falls, United States

Ah I always feel the same whenever I start any book

I have read some duds....and it wasn't me ....it was the book!

I read an old one recently...about a southern preacher that takes his young family to the Congo. It wasn't one of those tales that would go down on my list of 'gotta read again' but it was good. Some characters better developed than others but very fact based history of Congo and flora and fauna - plus a good fiction.

Just started one ..just...like 10 pages....The Illegal Gardener.....

And last week read Cutting For Stone - AGAIN! 😊

Do you mean Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? I enjoyed that novel though I read it years ago.

Yes. That was it.

Enjoyed it. My problem I think is that as I age, I want to learn as I read ( that's why I liked that book -- the Dutch / Congo / U.S. Connection and the life and descriptions of the Congo and its peoples) ...but I don't want dry facts. So historical fiction based on some truths is what I seek.

My first books where I learned to appreciate that -- Clan of the Cave Bear and Land Remembered.

I've a buddy who ingests biography ..civil war era please... 😖

Me....well...I read Mick and Bararach ..and the Mitford Girls......the first two -- I consider fiction!

I also love generational sagas. Hard to find good ones. I even liked Anne Rice's...what was it...Mayfair Witches?? And the Follett books - Pilllars of the Earth. I am so bad with titles and authors.

This message was edited Sep 9, 2015 10:11 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Poisonwood Bible and Cuffing for Stone, liked both very much, And Owen Meany (Prayer for),,, and World according to Garp (lonnnnng time ago on those)

Owen Meany my gold standard for many years.

I have never read World According to Garp....should I?

Definitely.

I think I should re-read Garp - I read it much younger, before Owen meany even. Might have to get used from Amazon.
Our mall just got a bookstore back in, I think they are partly used-books. And there is one other used book store I know of nearby. Brisk business in popular mass market paperbacks.

Our public library branch used to have quarterly used book sales. Books were donated by the community. Some were advanced reading copies/publisher's proofs sent to libraries for review. Other books were being replaced or removed. They occasionally got valued first editions and collections. Most paperbacks were a dollar and hardbacks two or three. The sales were so popular they had to rent a warehouse in the interim. They eventually took an end wall space from the reading lounge area, about 20'x30', put up divider walls and a door and created a resale corner. It's open every day after 12 p.m. and manned entirely by volunteers, mostly older retirees. They still have one or two sales a year to blow out the excess. On the last day you can fill a paper grocery bag for five dollars. Rare books have a set price between sales or are sold by silent auction during the big sales. The winner is notified after the sale. Friends Of Sandy Springs Library (FOSSL, which makes me chuckle because of the age of the volunteers) raises lots of money for our branch and is a major reason why our house is overflowing with books even though we donate lots back. Over the years it's been a major source for my vintage cookbook collection.

FOSSL too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's awesome.

My branch is suburban and we just don't have the staff, space, or volunteers to manage the used book sale on that scale. We have a branch of Am Assoc of University Women who do annual book sales and they are pretty cool. Some great deals. Weird stuff and any popular fic you want.

In Baltimore there's the Book Thing. Truly unique!
http://www.bookthing.org/
Be sure and look at the funny books they've had come through!
I wish I was off Wednesdays to volunteer.

Meanwhile- I'm trying t think of what I would say if someone asked me for a "wonderful book."

I posted I had not read the book and edited because SO reminded me I had but he had not and I recommended it to him. Then I saw my above post and remembered. I've probably read more than a hundred books since. Well, nothing like growing old and being in the moment. Just not so much in the year. lol

This message was edited Oct 12, 2015 8:28 PM

haha that's very funny Laurel!

I knew you'd understand , Sally. Pathetic.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'll have to put The Pilgrimage of Harold Fry on my to read list especially since I am working on a group contemporary pilgrimage art piece.
When I looked up this book up online I read a wee bit too much of the story so I'll have to hold off reading it for a bit so I can forget the details and follow as I read.

I did finish the second book, Hollow City, in the Miss Peregrines Peculiar Children series and enjoyed it, not quite as much as the first one, but I'm not sure why. Maybe because the first was a complete novelty and the characters where slowly introduced and rounded out and the second more of a long quest with sharp quick incidents along the long trail.
I think the series is placed in the teenage section of the bookstore.
Quite an unusual series using strange altered old photographs as illustrations.
As an artist I always enjoy illustrated books and wish it was a more common feature in adult fiction.

It's more common in contemporary European lit. Illustrated short stories, some using comic book layout, are popular entertainment especially for travel. Maybe this could be a project for you. My SO and I collaborated on one in our student years.

Wichita Falls, United States

Reflections of a Man by Mr. Amari Soul

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I recently read "The Wind In The Willows." Even though it's meant for older kids, I loved it and it made me laugh. So it's my favorite right now. I am also going back and reading some Dickens I haven't read before. I'm reading "Bleak House," now. My complaint is too many characters, some related and quite dastardly.

I recently read "The Wind In The Willows." Even though it's meant for older kids, I loved it and it made me laugh. So it's my favorite right now. I am also going back and reading some Dickens I haven't read before. I'm reading "Bleak House," now. My complaint is too many characters, some related and quite dastardly.

Our library also has regular book sales. I think people donate books they have of home and the money goes to library expenses and programs. I love the puppet shows they have for kids and a very friendly spaces for the kids.

I still hold Anne of Green Gables close to my heart and enjoyed the sequel also.

Sayreville, NJ

I recently read Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know, I just always dreamed of having a dog and just recently my dream came true.And before such an important moment I read all that I could about dogs, I even found a wonderful resource, petstiger.com, which has everything you need for care.How interesting to know all about what animals think, how they perceive the world and what they feel.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2019 12:13 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Congratulations on the new addition to your family. I have worked in animal rescue for years and last year adopted my first dog. She was a rescue, a Jack Russell mix and is the joy of my life.

Enjoy every moment with your new family member. And please be sure your dog is micro chipped and has a collar tag with your phone number!

I finished and loved Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and would rate it up there with A Man Called Ove.

New Brunswick, NJ

I recently finished reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and this is an amazing book.She made me think about many things and rethink a lot.In addition, it is read in one breath.

Portageville, MO

Lately, I have been drawn to read classics.

This message was edited Aug 11, 2020 12:08 PM

Matthews, NC

Thanks for these explanations and resources. Previously, when I needed some gardening assignments, I always went to https://www.quora.com/Is-Papersowl-legit to find some kind of writing service. Of course, I always had a faithful and legit assistant Papers Owl, because it always has good reviews. And now I want to read the books that you advised. Thanks!

This message was edited Nov 3, 2020 10:30 AM

New York, United States

My favorite book is The Goophered Grapevine. This is a wonderful story of magic and drama. I recently read a short summary https://freebooksummary.com/uncle-julius-the-goophered-grapevine-222601 of this book. People who love nature and magical symbols should read this book. I advise against reading old translations or audiobooks. You may lose the main thread of events. I wish you a pleasant reading.

This message was edited Nov 17, 2020 7:53 AM

This message was edited Nov 17, 2020 7:53 AM

Currie, NC

I recently finished reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Incredible book, I'm delighted. Guys, I am currently writing a small study on study abroad as part of my academic career. I would like to ask you if someone has experience studying abroad and if so, please contact me via private messages. On this site https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/studying-abroad/, I found very interesting research about students who study abroad, about their values, about the difficulties they experience, and the like. Very interesting information, I advise you to read it

This message was edited Feb 28, 2021 6:24 AM

Orlando, FL

I also don't always notice cool books, which is why, not so long ago, I found a very cool book "The Cask of Amontillado". This is a cool story that you can read more interesting information about at https://studydriver.com/suspense-in-the-cask-of-amontillado/ and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I can say that the book is special and its plot is quite fascinating, so I recommend reading it.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2021 8:52 AM

Catalonia , Spain

I read the book rich dad poor dad a long time back and that was my favorite book. It gives life lessons of how a poor boy becomes rich and it is a good way to teach someone about business. Another book I found interesting was the harry potter series since I loved the movies.

Washington, DC

We will focus mainly on the leitmotif of the story.

This message was edited May 6, 2021 7:22 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.