Netflix Favs

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm a big Netflix nut and according to the internet I'm not alone. I watch Netflix offerings on my laptop while doing all manner of mundane household chores and cooking for family or catering clients. I'm not able to spend much time sitting in front of a screen. I enjoy a variety of offerings on the menu from documentaries to comedy. My recent favorites include "Birders: The Central Park Effect", "Ms. Fisher's Murder Mysteries", "Schooled: The Price Of College Sports", and "Half The Sky". Do you have favorites?

edited for aggravating spell check.

This message was edited Feb 18, 2014 7:30 PM

Does anyone else here enjoy Netflix? I posted because I was curious about what others recommend or what is in your ques.

I recommend "Half The Sky" which is about women in different parts of the world who are overcoming tremendous barriers for change in their cultures. I qued it but didn't play it for a long time because I thought it might be depressing. Instead it's inspiring.

I finished the last of seven episodes of "Derek", about a nursing home caretaker, which was written and stars Ricky Gervais, from "The Office". Each episode is something like twenty three minutes so if you are time challenged this is a good option. It's brilliant. Critics describe Derek as "intellectually challenged" or "tender and innocent" take your choice. "Derek" is a poignant picture of what life is like for the elderly in assisted living with the best of love and care. There isn't an unbelievable character in the series. The elderly actors are the real stars.

I have the National Geographic Appalachian Trail documentary in my que because our oldest son did a through hike when he was twenty. It took him seven months. I have not watched it yet. Has anyone seen this one?

Okay, they might cart me away for talking to myself but I'm bumping this. After no initial response I continued merrily on my Netflix way. Then we switched from Comcast (note fire balls coming from my eyes) to AT&T Uverse and it included an HBO Go subscription. I'm still more a Netflix fan and we can't get Go at the cottage but I want to include it here if anyone has recommends. Purely selfish reasons of course. :>) HBO Go is worth a year's subscription just for Boardwalk Empire. It's one of the most amazing dramatic series ever produced and there's something like five years worth of programs. I've not really explored Go further.

But back to Netflix. So much and many since I last posted. I watched Tina Fey's, Kimmy Schmidt and loved it. Unusual for me because I normally hate sitcoms. I'm currently watching Chef's Table which features, one at a time, gastronomically renowned chefs who would never be seen on Food Network. This series is an in depth exploration of farm to table as well as nose to tail. Great if you love gardening, farming and/or cooking and appreciate an international and cross cultural perspective.

I recently watched Fed Up which addresses childhood obesity and points big fingers at school lunch programs. The culture of home is also portrayed with kids from rural southern, black, Latin and white families portrayed. Several kids and families are followed with their individual stories. Despite varying interventions the outcomes were disappointing. I was shocked to see in the news this week that the CDC has declared school lunches healthy after seeing this documentary.

Well true confessions...I've been serial watching Fringe which is no more or less than the zombie stuff that abounds. At some point between telling myself it was helping pass time with inane chores and thinking I needed to quit watching something that made me laugh out loud at it's lack of science, I got hooked. Maybe I need to grow a sense of humor.

It's not like I sit around and watch programming each day. Like I said above, I listen while I work so radio-type shows work best for me. I've got a small tablet and a blue tooth speaker and this allows me to watch/listen to programs while taking care of all sorts of chores. Otherwise we occasionally have our dinner and a movie nights.

I'd love to hear if you are or have watched anything interesting. I'll post more when I recall the backlog.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

We use Netflix since chopping our cable last year. Even though I now work full time, it just doesn't seem like cable is worth the money!

All of Boardwalk Empire- excellent. or did I have to get some on disc? I forget
Mad Men- very very good, loved the flashbacks and exploring social changes early 60s like women and blacks entering the white male workplace
Documentary about Prohibition- pretty good
Call the Midwife- last night's two episodes were kind of depressing, but overall, I'm still interested, after about six episodes
Went through several seasons of Walking Dead but then got tired of it.
Dardevil- based on a comic, not bad
Hell on Wheels- didn't really like
Documentary about stents, the $$ and the arguments in favor of diet, exercise etc instead
Doc about gas alternatives

Off the top of my head, and DH is nodding off...

Alive Inside is a documentary about how music is being used to awaken the minds of Alzheimer's patients and those with other dementias and brain injuries. It's in the moment, but mind blowing how non-responsive patients can become coherent and conversive. Made me teary. Very intetesting.

Tony Bennett is about you know who. Interesting bio that included his work with many artists over the years but omitted collaborations with K.D. Lang and Lady Gaga.

An Honest Liar is very entertaining. Another biography; this one is about the life of magician and escape artist, James Randi, who has spent a lifetime exposing frauds who portend to have super natural abilities. Uri Geller is at the top of his list. Randi,, now in his 80's, has an incredibly sharp mind. Lots of footage of his Houdini-like escapes and his public speaking against those who use illusion to deceive the public.

Good suggestions!

Have you seen Whiplash?
or
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill (2003)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424565/
(been a few years since we watched Parrots, can't swear it is available)

There's a new theater movie out based on A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. Sounds cute/sappy depending on your taste. I'm happier with reading/listening to the book myself. I'll put that documentary on our list.

Whiplash: no but it look interesting. I'll que it.

Wild Parrots: we watched it on Netflix and have seen them in real life in S.Fran. Wild parrots are also a problem in S Fl. where they are killing many native species and creating an illicit poaching problem.

Dancing On The Edge replaced Boardwalk Empire in our mutual series watching department. Not Boardwalk but really up there. The series delves into the complex lives of a black jazz band, in London, during the 1930's. Their innovative sound is catching on with London's avant garde upper crust but segregation and racism is a constant. Good music as the swing era explores its roots.

Natick, MA

Hi there!

My son, college age, uses Netflix all the time. He likes to watch tv shows all at once, several seasons. I have agree it's "instant gratification" not to have to wait! He tells us we should drop cable. We're considering it, but still enjoy some things on cable right now that we dont want to give up (ie Game of Thrones, Nurse Jackie, to mention just a couple)

We enjoy Orange is the New Black, but third season wasn't as good as the first two, I didnt think.
I like Netflix, but I have seen so many movies that it seems they dont add enough to keep my interest on an on-going basis. I look forward to reading more of your suggestions! ;o)

Hi valal!

Our college age kids are watching or rewatching, Scrubs, Office, and Parks and Rec. Arrested Development is another VERY funny series, fast moving.
Is Breaking Bad on Netflix? I have never seen the entire series, only parts, but it was excellent.
I wish I kept a list of my favorite movies, whether I got them from NF or elsewhere. We've seen several flicks with Ryan GOsling
sweet= Crazy Stupid Love, Lars and the Real Girl, Notebook have not watched, not a Nicholas Sparks nut
dark- Drive
Javier Bardem, The Sea Inside, Biutiful, No COuntry for Old Men
also The Visitor
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857191/

The Machinist
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/
with Christian Bale, he is awesome, I get him mixed up with Matthew Mcconaghey.

It seems we tend toward the dark , wierd, or thought provoking stuff
I liked all the Iron Man movies, That's just fun stuff.
Juno is sweet, and funny

Orange.. is very popular, I personally did not continue past about four- 5 episodes.

Natick, MA

Sally, I think we have similar tastes...
My son's very favorite was Scrubs, and he, too, liked Parks and Rec, among others.

I didnt know Juno was on Netflix; I probably didnt pay attention because I have the DVD, really love that movie...WHOA! DREAM BIG!
Another "coming of age" movie I loved was Charlie Bartlett.

I love the Avengers, Iron Man movies,Thor, etc :)

I dont know if I would have continued with Orange, but my husband and I have very different tastes, and there are some things we watch together (agree on) so he's the driving force for that pick.

I havent seen several on your list

I think Breaking Bad IS on Netflix, but not sure if they have the last season (probably do by now). I liked that series alot (another my husband would watch).

Rickie Gervais has an odd sense of humor, but thought Idiot Abroad was amusing, if you've never seen it. Some are better than others. I feel for the guy that Rickie sends off to have "adventures"!

An "oldie" I always enjoy rewatching is Regarding Henry (Harrison Ford, Annette Bening)

At an office "outing" my boss mentioned The Lady in #6. Haven't check it out yet. It will be a serious movie (haulocost surviver's true story).

I tend more toward "fun"/entertaining movies when I sit down..Have to be in the mood for a serious one or tear jerker! ;o)

valal, I don't want to mislead you, I am not sure which, if any, of those movies are on Netflix.

I have seen a couple Idiot Abroad...funny! I have not heard of Lady in #6. It reminded me of a french film, something like Women on the Sixth Floor, which had nothing to do with holocaust.
another French, Le Fils de L'Epicier/ The Grocer's Son...cute sweet; prepare to become obsessed with living in the French countryside, lol..as with The Well digger's Daughter, also French

Boy in Striped Pajamas...

Thanks for the other suggestions. We need ideas!

I usually tire of comedy series but enjoyed Ricky Gervais in Derek very much. He is a slightly slow, but sensitive caretaker in a home for the elderly. The elderly patients are convincing.

I quit warching OITNB after the second to last episode of the second season. It seemed that the characters were competing for most over-acting and were no longer credible. I thought the crazy one went from creepy to ludicrous.

We tried a stand up performance by Colin Quinn last night called Unconstitutional. It was supposed to be a high brow political comedy act that tied the Constitution's intent to what is life in America. I don't know what was going on but he seemed really wired and couldn't stop moving while delivering. I apparently missed the party he went to so I turned it off.

We switched from Comcast to ATT Uverse for internet and it came with an HBO subscription. We never watch regular TV and didn't want it but it was bundled with our internet speed package.

NARCOS
excellent
story of Pablo Escobar's rise to power. Seems he's almost a cult figure. I knew the name but forgot anything I ever knew about the cocaine crisis in the 80s, the drug wars, Iran-Contra, Medellin cartel etc

There was a number either 600 or 6000, deaths in Miami during those years (600 one year? or 6000 one year, or some years? Awful)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

Broadchurch, Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Midsomer Murders, Wallender...love all of these on netflix.

Oh yes, I am fond of the mysteries too!

You know how they flash a few new features at the top? Well last week they hooked me with "Iris", a documentary about winsome style maven, Iris Apfel. Her husband, Carl, is a trip too. Proof that even when you get old you don't have to act old. A few days later they flashed "Crazy Love", the outrageous true story of Burt Pugach, a high profile attorney who contracted to have his on again/off again girlfriend, Linda Riss, disfigured and partially blinded with lye. I remember the media extravaganza that followed in the wake of this story for years. The outcome is jaw-droppingly insane. An epic tragic comedy.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i put Iris on my "list" last week but i'll have to check out Crazy Love.
make sure to watch Broadchurch....it is exceptional. i think it's 8 or 9 installments/episodes...a real whodunit.

Making a note about Broadchurch.

We watched "The Poisoner's Handbook", a PBS documentary based on the book by Deborah Blum. It's about the birth of forensic medicine in America and uses a mix of narrator, reenactment and archival film and photos. Toxic substances that caused accidental or intentional deaths were pretty common during the first half of the last century. Fascinating!

Sounds excellent.

Watched two more Call the Midwife. Pretty much like the show. It' does include a mix of baby, young adult, and senior themes, as the young midwives also tend to local pensioners. It is depressing at times though.

I heard about a movie/documentary about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. Might be fun if it includes some music. Apparently Wilson had ADD and a very strict or abusive father.

I am a maternal child nurse with a specialty in high risk obstetrics. I started out in pediatric intensive care, then neonatal intensive care and ultimately labor and delivery, around the time the series closes. It is very factual. My intention was to get a post graduate midwifery degree but starting a family of my own got in the way. The midwives depicted, clinically trained outside of universities, eventually were considered well trained but undereducated. Their breed no longer exists. I have delivered babies in the back seats of cars, on hospital loading docks, in ER's, etc. but lacking the practitioner license I am only able to step in in the event that a physician or licensed midwife is not on premises. Meanwhile, I love the depiction of how lovely the experience can be but it only hints at how grueling the hours are, how stressful the dynamics of acute care or how disastrously painful the outcomes can be. I was also one of two on call greiving nurses for my hospital which was and is the largest obstetric unit in the country.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Call the Midwife was one of my favorite British series. Good to have your input on the show Maypop.
Another real Brit favorite of mine is the Doc Martin series, but not the 2 TV movies, just the series.

agreed;, Laurel, its good to have your perspective on C T M.

Doc Martin seems very popular.

Poisoners Handbook came up as suggested viewing last night when we turned on Netflix.

I liked the early Doc Martins and then they started switching up the cast. After watching all the Call The Midwife episodes Netfix recommended Land Girls. I'm on to that. I try to squeeze in an episode while doing laundry or getting dinner ready but I don't mind catching bits as time allows. It's not like suffering commercials. Anywho, Land Girls is another good period series.

Nurses have to renew licenses every other year which includes qualifying continuation education credits. This is my year so more course taking and book cracking and less Netflix for me.

Hope you get some mental pleasure from the exercise. I know it's been good for me going to work again, having to learn new things.

Started Poisoners Handbook last night, just too sleepy to finish

We did it in two parts also.

Still on Narrow Road To The Deep North.

Great find, Sally. Are you going to read it right away?

We stopped by a resale shop on the way to lunch yesterday. I collect vintage cook books and was thrilled to find four Foods Of The World volumes for $2.50 each to add to my collection. The shop owner wanted three dollars but I negotiated a four fer. The biggest surprise was a photo in the American Cooking volume taken at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club. My inlaws were lifelong members and the couple pictured were family friends. Talk about a small world!

edited to add this post was meant for the book thread. Mia culpa.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2015 9:14 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I didn't see Landgirls so I'll try to find it online.

I have Hulu Plus not Netflix . It is not the best for the British TV series.
On the other hand I had a free 1 month trial to Acorn TV which is all British and I didn't join
because I watched too much!

There is a new series that started last week on PBS called Homefires which I like very much.
The same actress ( Francesca Annis)) who played the mother on Wives and Daughters (one of my all time favorite movies which was done as a series) plays a completely different type of character, very proper , tightly laced up on this one as opposed to very decorative and silly on the other.

The really wonderful thing about the British series are the high level of acting and the fact that a whole group of clearly different types women are given major roles and are the subject of the series.

The high quality of British acting is something we completely agree about. I too feel that both men and women act in more parts without stereotypes compared to American TV and movies. There's romance and sex among the elderly, adventurous roles for the portly and high acheivers among the disabled. Makes for so much more depth to the stories.

I watched the first of three (I think) Twice Born. It follows several medical conditions leading to fetal surgery or, in one case, fetal demise. It doesn't cover the labor and delivery of non-viable or deceased babies. Well, these are the type of cases I am familiar with so I found it interesting but the rest of the family left the room. Anyway, modern medicine is advancing surgical intetvention so that outcomes are much improved.

we're really glued to Call the Midwife. Sure beats mainstream network nonsense. What great characters!

I am so glad to have all your suggestions here for when we can get to them though.

I had concerns about Netflix longevity early on when I ran through my top picks and began to struggle with B options. They seemed on track to build something better. Now the options are almost unlimited which is why I started the thread.

I serial watched "The Great British Baking Show" but admittedly missed a lot while tending to other duties. Though I hate to bake it was fabulous! Now I'm inspired. I intend to watch it again. Also, I had seen and heard Pentatonix, an a capella pop group, and they have a documentary going. I'm going to watch that next.

Pentatonix is/are amazing.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I started watching Land Girls on Hulu and like it. I saw the 1st 4 episodes already.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I watched a few episodes of The Great British Baking Show on one of the local PBS stations
and also liked that.
I would never consider baking myself either Maypop.

I am continuing to watch Homefires and think if you like Land Girls and Call the MIdwife you'll like that also.
Although it is a quieter show it is really solid and well acted.

I think we'll have to watch something action-y, soon, just to break up our streak of Midwives. We've been so engrossed in the characters. We were so shocked at Jimmy. And I was so delighted to see Chummy come back! Oh that SIster Monica Joan, what a hoot.
and- you never get tired of seeing a tiny baby each episode.

I've definitely crushed on sweet Fred the handyguy and adore Chummy. As for Sister Monica Joan...she proves that a person of letters has a whole lot going on in there when there's not a whole lot going on up there.

Vaguely looked into Homefires. I may have mis-stated about getting Hulu. It's HBO GO that comes with our U-verse package. Maybe Homefires is available through PBS on Roku.

Are you looking for recommends, Sally, or do you have an action option qued?

I was reading my boring book and remembered Dancing On The Edge. Very good Netflix drama with music.

I have told DH about the recommendations here. I don't know that we have (he has) anything rip-roaring, or at least suspenseful, in mind right now. He does the research generally. He wants to go to the new James Bond flick. mm, ok, yawn. I don't care for Daniel Craig. I thought Sean Connery was still hot in that last Indiana Jones movie he was in.

Has anyone watched any of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,/ In the Spiders Web, etc movies? I've never read the books either.

Yes, I read the books first and saw the movies a while back. Both are suspenseful but as I recollect the books seemed even more so.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Series but I didn't see the movies because although I can read about violence I can't watch it on film easily.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i'm watching Prime Suspect right now....really excellent. i love Helen Mirren.
i finally finished all of the Morse and Lewis episodes. i've grown so attached to the characters that it was very depressing for it to end. i guess that's silly but.......

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Just noticed this thread. My friend in France sent me the French version of Doc Martin, but there were no subtitles and I was missing a lot. I can follow it if I at least have French subtitles, but not when there are no written clues. So I bought the first season of the British version and found that at least the first episode is the same, although the French version is a bit more slapstick. If I watch those first I can follow the French.

Loved Fils de l'Epicier and Welldigger's Daughter. Started watching The Girls on the 6th Floor during my husband's last illness but we never got a chance to finish it. I'll have to do that sometime.

A British film I loved was Secrets and Lies, and also Billy Eliot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.