We Lost Ben

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It is with great sadness I have to tell you all we lost our sweet Ben night before last. I had gone to the barn to feed and clean stalls and I found him broadside in his stall. He often layed down but always on his chest. When I coaxed him to get up he could make it to a sitting position but could not seem to use his back legs though he still had movement in them. We called the vet out. He took vitals and checked Ben's back legs. He had no feeling from a few inches above his knees. The vet suspected either EPM are some neurological disorder since I have known for quite a while things were not right in his hind quarters. I had hoped it was something as simple as bad conformation ( he was camped out ) and he would overcome it. He had seemed to be doing much better and was getting tighter in his hips. I pick stalls twice a week and turn both horses out to run and play in the hall while I work. He had been having a great time the last few months. The night before I found him, he was bucking and playing. I don't know what brought on the drastic change but the vet said there was not anything he could do. Even if we could have gotten him up he would still have had the problem to deal with and we could not put him through all that so we had to let him go. It was a very hard decision but the only one we could make because we loved him so much.

We have suffered so much heartache with our horses in the last two years. I just don't understand it. I cleaned Ben's stall for the last time tonight and folded his blanket. It was very hard to do. He was growing into an awesome horse. A sweet soul sent to brighten our lives for a short time. We were blessed and he will be sorely missed.

Richmond, TX

I'm so sorry! You did not need another loss. It's been a tough year.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I just don't understand it. In two years we have lost two and had to have two put down. We love our horses and take good care of them. They are fed well, cared for diligently, wormed regularly, treated with love and kindness and kept warm and dry. I just don't know what else to do.

Richmond, TX

Horses for all their size and power, are strangely fragile creatures. I have lost several to sudden neurological problems. We feel so helpless when we try so hard to meet their needs and yet lose them to ailments over which we have no control. Take comfort in knowing that you did your best to make a good life for him, and knew when there was only one kindness left that you could provide him, and that you also did the right thing at the end.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

sending hugs and prayers!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hugs and prayers here too!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I moved the big mat from Ben's old stall into Godiva's stall when I cleaned today. It was the final thing I had to do and now it seems Ben is just a sweet memory.

South Hamilton, MA

You have photos as well as memories of his gentle disposition.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Nothing can ever take those. He was a big old teddy bear.

Jim Falls, WI(Zone 4a)

So sorry for your loss! Memories are such sweet things just hard too bear at first.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images