Five native forbs at the Lurie Garden in Chicago, IL

Downingtown, PA

The first photo is Virginia Culver's-Root, Veronicastrum virginicum, in white bloom in August 2013, an easy perennial loved by pollinators. The second is a Joe-Pye-Weed in pink-purple bloom in Aug 2013 that is better than Butterflybush from China for supporting butterflies. The third is Compass-Plant, Silphium laciniatum, whose leaves go in a north-south direction. The forth is the Big Blue Lobelia, Lobelia siphiliticum, that blooms purple-blue in late summer and often likes some shade. The fifth is a group of taller Wild-Indigo, Baptisia, to the left, a Rattlesnake Master, Eryngium yuccifolium, in the middle with white round flowers on the tall stalks, and the purple blooming Wild-Petunia, Ruellia humilis, low in front.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2014 11:50 AM

Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb Thumbnail by Rickwebb
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Awesome photos Rick, thanks! Are those big shrubby-looking plants on the left and right in the fifth photo both Baptisia?

I just realized that you're in the mid-Atlantic; your photos of Chicago threw me. Some DGers in the mid-Atlantic forum are currently focused on creating native-plant pollinator habitats, in particular Monarch-centric ones. Your photos are a great resource as we put together our gardens.

Downingtown, PA

I am originally from the Chicago area and I normally visit it once a year to see friends and relatives, and I have been attending meetings in WI with the Wild Ones Natural Landscapers. I have been living west of Philadelphia for about 12 years and have adapted to the slightly warmer climate here. The Baptisia is not on bloom but must be the Blue Wild-Indigo of B. australis and it is far to the left and behind to the right some.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

I love that fourth photo. I have Great Blue Lobelias, but it hadn't occurred to me to grow grasses next to it. What a great combination!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.