Coffee Break #100!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

There's still some time to relax. Come on over!

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1345488/

This message was edited Mar 30, 2014 5:32 PM

Thumbnail by RosemaryK
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks for starting a new thread rosemary!

do not have many of the conifers you just mentioned except for daisy white - have had that one for a while - sucker for picea glauca's

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

You're welcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing your pinetum, and the JMs too!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the new thread Rosemary!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

My daffys look like they are getting ready to burst after soaking up all the rain. I am so very ready for some warmth.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yellow in a plant is soooo necessary.

Thomaston, CT

Patti, your Mom looks wonderful......glad you were able to see her, & get back safely! Hate to fly....took the train to FL, but that was an experience also! I went to the Selby Botanical Garden, but no photos, because my stepson surprised me taking me there, & I had left my camera in the motel! He also took me to an old-fashioned FL village near the Myaaka River, where I ran into a coral snake on the boardwalk! My stepson assured me they are shy, & he slithered under the boardwalk.....just loved walking over the area that he dove into! Week 1 was hot & sunny, week 2 was chilly & rainy....hard to believe so late in the season & Sarasota is a ways down! Glad to be home I guess.......

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Glad you made it home safely. GLAD the coral snake slithered away. Sounds like a great time. Thankful you had some warm weather.

What was your favorite thing at the garden? What was the name of that village? Looking forward to hearing about it.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Was it near Myakka Syate Park? I love the Sarasota area.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

I think I have been there and saw a cotton mouth that took up temporary residence on the boardwalk several years ago.

Thomaston, CT

It's called Crowley's Museum, it's on the Myaaka River, & is apparently a snake magnet! Hard to say, Jan, what my favorite part of Selby's was.....I guess a blue orchid was gorgeous, but there were many outstanding blooms.....

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Ater this winter, any blooms would look good to me. Hehehe

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Robin, we took the train to FL last month, did you do a sleeper? It's become our favorite way to travel. Just bring books, and hang out in your room, and enjoy the scenery. The train out west is more scenic though.

Thomaston, CT

No, I didn't get a sleeper because 15 years ago, when Doug & I did that trip we had a sleeper, but couldn't sleep, so we felt like it was wasted money....coming home we switched to coach. However, we had each other as seatmates.....a lot different when there's a stranger next to you spitting tobacco juice into a bottle which is what my seatmate did on the way down! Coming home, my seatmate was from Rochester.....we sang the praises of the Pittsford Wegman's, & her boyfriend was a manager at the Barnes & Noble there..... Out west, we had compartments & loved the experience......Where did you go in FL, Deb?

This message was edited Apr 5, 2014 7:59 AM

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

We took the train to Miami, then drove to the Keys. Next time we do it, we're going to do the auto train.

Thomaston, CT

My Dad used to take the auto train.....still have to drive in the congested Washington corridor.....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you know you ordered too many trees when.........

got a call today from a new jm company for me down in Atlanta apologizing for not being able to ship a tree I ordered today and that it will go our tomorrow. the call was appreciated - only i had to go into my records to see what i had ordered - a nice 7 gallon sherwood flame. I know just the container it will be planted in.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I am afraid of that very day, but until it happens, spring just whets the appetite for more little fuzzy conifers, sort of like collecting furbys. I am afraid to start on JMs for fear of losing control, sort of like taking the first drink is to an alcoholic person.

Thomaston, CT

My Goldthread juniper has gotten too large for its space....any recommendations? I have 3 Bird's Nest spruce there, a dwarf JM, an azalea, lots of heather......

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

you can have it removed and start over with another, they are readably available even at HD. I like them, they are hardy, and add a nice yellow to the landscape.I try to keep them trimmed, although there is a green and a yellow one out front that have gotten large - the green one could be removed this year.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

There are lots of yellow tipped dwarves. It might be useful to look for a smaller plant. I've had my eye on Yellow Spreader Nordman spruce, but it seems to be blindingly yellow, so I for one can't commit. Course this is a plant that gets low and wide. I haven't found the perfect one yet myself. I kind of like the different yellow Chams. Vintage Gold grew pretty fast in my winter pots, but it is also a bit low and wide.

Thomaston, CT

I have trimmed Gold Thread every year, but now it's out of hand! I do need something low, good suggestion going to HD to check as I have to get staining cloths there anyway......I would like a variegated dwarf, but not too yellow.....

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

rosemary I have the golden spreader and it has been a tough one for hardiness and/or needs just the right place. last couple years it has held its own although not really getting bigger and fuller. very sensitive to the sun.

I only suggest the gold thread as it is a worry free plant, takes full sun, and can be found in most nurseries - so if it gets to big, just replace it with another.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

received in 6 jm's yesterday from Topiary Gardens - so the deliveries have begun.

and to add to the story above about the forgotten order, I received a call yesterday confirming "both" packages have been sent. Both? turns out there were 2 trees I had ordered.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yay! planting season is starting. I got a nice phone message from Bob Fincham of Coenesium Gardens in Washington that my two dwarf sciadopitys and his golden hybrid picea orientalis are on the way. I love those small nurseries and their very dedicated owners.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Woot, woot!!! Let the planting begin.

Thomaston, CT

Afraid my plantings are limited to pansies right now!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yep. Two large boxes of green stuff arrive from Bluestone's today. Looking good.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

got an email today one of my choices is not available from BS - just sent in replacement - always nice to see those boxes.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Locally, the nursery availability lists are out. Except for one Ilex opaca Satyr Hill (that was very pricy at Weston Nurseries), I haven't seen anything to make me think twice about the mail order nurseries. Keeping the boxes of plants from drying out in the wind is still an issue here since there are very few I think can go into the ground just yet, and the garage is a bit dark.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

my two mystery trees arrived today - 7 gal and a 3 gal - not much difference in size and both trees in great shape

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'd like to hear what they are. I think I finally found a JM that stays very small and wide and will have the right color scheme for in front of our house and with the conifer dwarves.

Weston nursuries referred a landscaper with a dingo, so this year DH gets a break on delivering soil and compost--only if the price is right. If the gingerbread maple arrives at the same time, the idea is for them to plant it too.

Did I say? There's a bluebird family that is living near or on the roof of our house? And I thought we had to build them a house.

Thomaston, CT

Oh, how lucky you are to have bluebirds! I see them down at the dam, or at the farm down our hill, but they are never in my yard! The gingerbread maple sounds like a winner......

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sherwood flame and umegea are the jm's = first was supposed to be a 7 gal and the second a 3 gal - both are about the same size and look great.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Singing birds, new trees, all is right with the world it seems.

We had a burn today to handle all the fallen twigs and the pruning efforts. There are places where the shrubs aren't shaggy anymore and the winter burn is cut off most of the evergreens. Drat those wooly adelgids! In case it helps, I pruned hemlocks and the trees near them for some air circulation and to separate them a bit. Seems all the beautiful mature trees have a problem. DH took a drill and a chain saw and carved out a stump where we miss the mulberry tree terriby, but it is nice he was thinking I might plant something inside it.

Thomaston, CT

Need a burn permit here.....pile keeps getting larger!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Burn permit is only given from Feb to end of April, and only on approved days. Applications in my town are on-line. When it's a good day like yesterday, it becomes necessary to work until it can't be done anymore. At least the path around the house is clear now, but there's only so much the body can do, and my ideas are much more grand. Fortuately for me, help is on the way, and the beauty of conifers is that they start really small.

So now I am trying to decide where to put the alpine house--a dug out area with a dirt wall prepared to bury the pots. In very cold days, it will be covered. Perhaps it will be clear once all the tractors leave.

I read on the DG site that acer shirasawanum 'Kawaii' grows to 8 feet and is difficult, and that's the one I chose for under a 2' wall. Just shows how treacherous it is to venture where one doesn't know anything. Is my $12 purchase going to be a loss, Bill?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

For $12 investment i think you will be ok - Japonica's are hardier

big rake yesterday and today - only have the way back left - and with 20 yds if compost and dirt arriving next weekend I hope next saturday will be the end of the raking and trimming - then on to edging - also did some rock adjustment on the stream and moved all the jm's in pots back our into the yard.

finally broke down and bought a landscape hand truck - have broken two HD dolly's - made moving the containers and some of the rocks a lot easier.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I didn't know there is a special hand truck for landscaping. I probably need one. My plan is to try to hire a landscaper to scrape -up some of the large rocks just under ground where I want to plant things.

Thomaston, CT

I raked as well.... still have 2 gardens to rake out before tomorrow's rain....ending as snow flurries!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.