April 2014 Returning to the great outdoors!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I post pics from my camera.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Wow! That greenhouse is awesome. I could handle being up North with that setup.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I just noticed your lilac pics. I love lilac. I had one that I purchased from Bluestone Perennial, but it didn't live but a few years. I'd forgotten all about it until I saw your pics. Now, I want a lilac bush again. They have the most fragrant flowers!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes Will believe me we have been looking at everything about saving money while on our trip to Chicago. Have read all about the city pass thanks so much fornthe link. I keep forgetting to say anything to my husband. We want to take a cruise on a boat for archeticure and the outline of the city. So excited.
Gb, we have four lilacs. But our big tall ones really do not get the sun they need they do blossom but it is a "lame" blossom. But I have a miniature lilac bush thzt is usually just loaded with blossoms and it is so pretty when it opens. The poor bunnies were so hungry this winter they really ate the heck out of it tho. :( . Oh well I guess it will grow back. That greenhouse is wonderful. Do you sell the flats or just grow them for your use? Lots of work there thats for sure. Very nice.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I also post pics from my camera, DG resizes them anyway. Thanks green, that Lilac was tiny, in 2010 I think, when we bought it, it has grown alot. I'm sure glad it's okay with being in a pot for now. I made some Hall's Honeysuckle cuttings last Fall and I just noticed today that some of them started sprouting leaves. - pic #1. I'm also glad my little Purple Coneflower plants in little pots are coming in nicely also. - pic #2 My Prickly-Pear and Cholla cactus cuttings seem to be starting up as well. - pic #3 Thanks happ, I like to give them an occasional good watering like that. My friend wasn't pleased that I had plants in the sink! lol I always clean up my mess though. Bernie (CountryGardens) said awhile back that he sells veggies at their farmer's market.
Yw GL. After I posted that it kinda seemed like the same places that the Citypass is good for, I later figured you musta already knew about that.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Garden soil is heavier and the fertilzer only lasts about 3 months compared to 6 months for potting soil. I plan on mixing it with potting soil to see how it works.

I usually don't know about sales til the day before the ad comes out like most other people. I sometimes know about a few things since we have to order up and prepare for the rush.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

GL, my hubby has been wanting to do a trip like that to Chicago on Amtrak for years! Let me know how it goes & enjoy!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Thats ok Pepper since I ddon't live in the city proper I can't get the city paper so any heads up I really appreciate. Since I don't work any more I don't go there at lunch. That I do miss.

Yeah you don't want garden soil for potted plants. Potted plant soil doesnt have any dirt in it at all. What I heard about the fertilizing potting soil is that it will last that long under perfect conditions (kind of like our food and medicine), no hotter than 70 to 80, which means that is why sometimes toward the middle and end of summer our plants may look a little weak. They will need fertilizer and also you have to remember the number of times we water our plants and wash the fertilizer out even tho it is 'time released'.

Waiting for it to warm up a little really breezie from the north. Kind of tough outside.

I didnt know dg resized the pictures? That would help alot now I won't have to do that. I take them over to photoshop, crop, and resize them, which is why I don't post many pictures, lazy! LOL

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I always buy growing medium specifically for seed starting indoors in pots. It's suppose to prevent damping off. My success rate has greatly improved.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Okay thats for the info on the soil. Was wondering. Yes, believe me gb. I will let you all know how the trip goes. We are really looking forward to this trip. Have to wztch it tho we are trying to pack a lont into a couple days. It will go to fast I am sure. We are going to go into Union Station. Will be cool. Been working outside for hours and I feel so good. Raking, bagging cleaning. We got one of those garden cart or wagons kt dumps out the load you have in there big thick wheels. Will be so nice to use it.

Happ, you can get the ad thru your email if you sign up for it. They also do a today's special for online only.

Home Depot is one of my favorite stores to shop at, even if I'm only window shopping, (which is alot of the time). I'm glad I know someone there that gives us info. on their stuff. Now, if only I could get a job there!

Yes happ. try uploading a pic here without resizing it and you'll see. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/test/all/ It's DG's test forum.

Boy, it was warm here today! A little breezy but it was warm air. - pic #1

I got some more leaves raked up. - They have to be raked up sometime I suppose! pic #2
I wanted to also get them off my shade garden.

This Forsythia 'Lynwood Gold' (aka regular Forsythia..lol) is putting on a nice yellow bloom! - pic #3 It grows by cuttings if anybody wants a cutting.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I was out in it most of the morning. Felt great!! Tomorrow I will be out planting and rearranging stuff. Gonna enjoy it while it lasts because next week it will be freezing in the mornings again.

Yikes hadn't heard that Pepper about the cold weather returning.
I did get some lettuce planted.
It was warm but sure was windy up here on the hill.
hope to play outside all day tomorrow.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Quick "hello" and outside to plant cool season crops. 76 F and partly cloudy. Sun shining right now.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We disked a little area. Plan on planting early things tomorrow.
SPRING IS HERE!

I got nothing planted but did get my trashcan for the soil. Brought home 4 5 gallon buckets of compost and was able to do 2 buckets and 3 bags of garden soil in a 32 gallon can. A good start. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

A little vacation time to work around yard and hang out with family. I don't return to work until next Thursday. Woohoo!!! Yippee!!! Just got back from a bike ride.

LOL!! Gonna be cold at night again starting Sunday. Enjoy the day time temps though!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes still cold around here at night too. 39 last night. Today seventies.... been so long. We both have a "skeeter" boat now so we can go fishing I am loking forward to this. So is the hubby. He has had his for several years now. Mine is new just this week. Today we have to pick up the highway that is named for one of my grandmothers. So lots of work to do. Will take about 2 hours then some fun after that. Sunday is going to be rainy. GB glad you get some time off have a great week. Will, the forsythia is so nice. I have one but it is mostly in shade so it does not bloom so profusely. Love them. Hello to all. Have a wonderful Saturday.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Putting on a pot of coffee and my gardening ensemble because it's planting time. Dining out tonight to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Today's weather is suppose to be gorgeous. Rain expected tomorrow that will help the seeds sprout. I'm ready!

Thumbnail by greenbrain

Here's an awesome daffodil I have blooming. I have no idea what cultivar it is but I love it!!

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

Today's weather was gorgeous here that's for sure. I did alot of stuff outside after we saw The Grand Budapest Hotel. I raked and sacked up 10 sacks of leaves (now this is a pile of leaves), potted up 8 Caladium Candidum bulbs, (white with green veins), 2 Black-Eyed Susan roots and 2 Hosta 'Albomarginata' bulbs. I got photos of my great weather workaday endeavors! All the potting up was done with this Miraclegro that my roomy/friend bought me.

Tomorrow I plan to plant all my seeds and I have a bunch from pepper and ju!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Thanks GL, I like Forsythias, reminds me that Spring is officially here. Maybe you could stick a cutting of the one you have in the shade, only poke the (brown, woody) cutting down in a sunny spot so it blooms better.

Nice Daffies, pepper, very pretty.

Thanks green, I'll more than likely be at the RU. Congrats btw on your wedding anniversary.
I was rooting around outside today and I came upon one of the pots that I put those Nanking seeds you gave me, in. Is this what they look like? Or did some nasty old weed seeds get in my pot again? - pics 1 and 2 I don't recall seeing those shaped leaves here before. If it is, they never grew last year but they came up this year! Also, thanks for getting those present seedlings for me, they sound like a neat plant.

I don't know yet what's going on with my Phyllostachys Bissetii Bamboo. The cold seems to have killed ALL the evergreen leaves and maybe the stalks down to about 2 feet above the ground. It's hardiness isn't as good as I thought. I need to get P. Nuda or some Bamboo that's hardier. P. bissettii may not be a -15 Bamboo after-all. Although, in it's defense I can tell it's still alive, just not as much as I hoped. pic #3 and 4
Will

This message was edited Apr 12, 2014 8:37 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Will, wow you hve been busy. We have been busy all day being outside and enjoying iy very much. But no yard work. Maybe sunday. Went to some bar in thenext town they had some live music. But I really am not a bar scene person. They did have some live music,, kinda nice. But glad to be home in my house.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will -- yep! Those look like Nanking cherry bushes. Congratulations. : )

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all. We have had a pretty busy day. Got our back porch mess started. We had a leak from all the ice on the roof over the winter. So we had to take the old uuckie drywall down. Then we willmhave to replace it. Work always work.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

GL, that does not sound like fun; though I would imagine that it's worse for those further north.

Thanks GL, I try to stay busy most of the time.

That's great news, green, I am thrilled that those seeds popped up. You gave me so many Nanking seeds that some are also in another pot, but there weren't any sprouts in it last I looked, yesterday.
That stem in that pot is just a Mimosa volunteer, I'll pull it out of there.

Today I put on my rainsuit and potted stuff up in the rain. I put together 3 strawberry planters and 2 thrift store oval, galvanized tins. I stuck several cuttings of Mezoo and Coleus 'Watermelon' among all the other plants, so if you see stick looking things scattered around in them in the pics, they are probably the cuttings.
Will

Here is some more pics of the planters that I made today with my little cheap plants. Sorry about just kinda throwing them out there in pics. I'll try to recall what some of them are. The first pic is Strawberry Begonia, Swirl Petunias? and last in that pic i8n the right-most strawberry planter is, Irish Moss in the top and Coleus cuttings on the sides. The 2nd pic is my Jade Rose Hen and Chick plant. The fish has a Gold Creeping Jenny in it that I bought at Home Depot today for less than $3.
The 4th photo i 2 Purple Coneflower plants that I grew from seeds in the green planter now.

Wow, I just noticed that that first 6:20 post doesn't have any pics in it, it should have 4 pics, here they are. - I blurred out my face in that rainsuit one, I had a stupid grin on my face as usual! Here I am again, I had taken off my rain jacket as it was hot and it quit raining mostly at that time, it poured on me later!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, I hope that you've brought those babies back indoors. Nice rain gear. I have my hens 'n chicks in a strawberry pot like the taller one. The pot stays outside year round and they do just fine.

Could I get a start off the spirea (bridal's wreath) and would anyone want it? I also have this cotoneaster, crapapple tree, and button bush with the same question all pictured here.

In reviewing some of last summer's pics, I was reminded of other plants that haven't come up yet; like "snow on the mtn" & lamb's ear. I may have a few surprises; if they pot up ok & I have the space to carry along. I'll also do a seed inventory since I save seeds & they won't take up extra space in the car.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sorry to get so far behind again :o(

I brought in more pots, but haven't sown anything yet. The wind is blowing and we are cold again so it wouldn't hurt to start anything. It can't be planted out yet even tho April seems late for starting some of the flowers in the house.

I think the apple tree I ordered will come at the end of this month. I'm glad I'm ready. I can refine the hole when I have the tree soaking for a while. Then I can see how deep the longest roots need to go. It's a Jonathan!

We have had wonderful weather and I've been out every day raking and pulling a few weeds. I planted peas and moved a couple of plants. My neighbor always brings me her leftover sweet peas, soaked and ready to plant. I was ready too. I had already moved the trellis and the plants in the way, so they are in.

I saw on TV that raw, not cooked strawberries, eliminate cholesterol from the body better than oatmeal! I have Dad's from last year in the fridge, to make a shortcake.

Big day yesterday. It rained all day!! This morning we have 2 and 2/10'' in the guage! More than I thought we would get. I'm thrilled!

Yesterday, I sorted thru old newspaper clippings and got done just as our SIL came to pick them and her other papers she lent us, up. She's big on geneology and our town's history since she's related to the founding father's family. As she was getting ready to leave, it started raining lightly again. Suddenly we had a tornado warning for the town 7 miles to our west and a bit south of the highway. It was heading NE which means either us, or the next town 7 miles to our north and west could be in the path. It depends on the easterly direction. They were in the warning. The sky looked fine, not the green color we usually see and it just rained lightly. Usually it's pounding rain.

Whew. After that the wind came up and has blown steady all night. It's a good day to do indoor work :o)

So have a good day no matter what the weather!

Yeah, I learned a lesson on April cold spells, it appears that both those Petunias are toast.
They were only .98 apiece but I'll take them back anyway. Surprisingly everything else looks alright at first look. I'll know more about a couple plants that I'm concerned about, they might not start noticeably drooping and turning brown for a day or 2. I'll be back in a bit to post pics, maybe somebody can tell me if anything else looks dead. I'll get a pic of the Petunias, they don't look too good...lol
Hi Sally, somebodies have birthdays coming up!
Will

Will I think your bamboo will surprise and take off once we finally warm up.
Yeah all my daffs are blooming and pretty, I decided not to cover anything. My daffs this morning were really pretty with kisses of snow on theem.

Everyone is having fun and been so busy and have some great pictures!

I am doing a minature garden beach scene for a friend for her birthday. I have it pretty much done except for sand. It is in a shell shaped pot. I will take a pic when I am done.

I accidently bamboozled some plants last nite. It never occurred to me that it was going to get too cold for some stuff. And pepper tried to warn folks, I am ashamed! It's all inside tonite though, the forecast says 25 degrees tonite, that's a freeze! - http://www.kshb.com/weather I'm not risking it again! I claim ignorance for last nite and not thinking about it, if that's a defense! Tonite, I know it will be cold and their inside..lol On the good side it appears that most of those survived. Some of them are quite hardy, like the Irish Mosses, 'Aurea' Creeping Jenny and the Hen and Chick, -30 and -40s! Some of them tho, I'm a bit worried about. I'd hate to lose that Strawberry Begonia that I've had for years and to a lesser extent those grasses.

Nice planter yourself, green. I'd love some Spirea (Bridal Wreath), Cotoneaster and Button-Bush.
That ol' raingear?! That's a Harborfreight special I got for $6.99 several years ago. But, it's nice in the rain. The rain was torrential at times and I was dry! I'm glad to have anything you want to bring, I'm not too proud!

Thanks bp, I'll tell my friend here that about the strawberries and cholesterol. She eats them every week in a fruit salad, they are like the main ingredient in it, she may know, I'll ask her.

The rest of it APPEARS to be alright, we'll see I guess. Actually, there is 2 Petunia plants in that tin and the one on the right might be okay, the one on the left and a Coleus cutting that I stuck in there appear to be goners. Here's some pics, if your squeamish don't look at one of the Petunias..lol - Does anything else look dead to anybody, go ahead and tell me, I can take it.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2014 6:15 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Here's more pics. - Here they are safely in the garage now. See that ol' stray cat up there on the left, eating? It made the run into the garage before I closed the door, it knows where dinner is at! lol
Sorry about what some seem like dupes but I tried to photograph the plants on the backside of that tall planter.

Sounds like a fun project, happ. I HOPE the Bamboo perks up, thanks for the words of encouragement.
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Planters all look delightful there ... Not much doing here still ,, Too bad about the petunias ,, ? I have some zinnia under soda bottles ,, It is said not to use plastic , it transfers the cold too quickly ,, if I felt like using the frost cloth over the bottle I would ..
oh well , mistakes result in what they don't ,, eh ..
28 degrees comes rolling in tonight and poof everything outside looks burned , even if not
Sometime winter should let go ,,,biting like bulldog this time around ,, ouch ..

Things are about here this direction
The second and third , the blooms are the size of a large strawberry , little fellows ,,lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Hi ju, nice yellow Daffs there! Yeah, the Petunias have looked better. Though, on looking at the "dead" one again, I think the flowers only might be goners. The plant itself might be okay. But, I bought it for the flowers, I'll probably take it back anyway, unless it miraculously blooms again and quick! I bet the pop bottles are better than nothing. I'm jealous, you have 28 and we have 25 tonite!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.