April 2014 Returning to the great outdoors!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Nice plants there, GL. I bet you have fun planting them when the time comes.

I planted all the flower seeds that I had, today. I planted them all along the driveway's chainlink fence, so that should be pretty someday, that's the plan anyway! I sprinkled the seeds and everything, I tried to do it right. I even sprinkled potting mix over them before I put the old mulch back on. Then, I put some new Cedar mulch on top of that. It should really be alot of color if everything comes up.
Ju and pepper sent me a BUNCH of seeds last year. I still have yet to plant about half of them, they are veggie seeds from pepper and a lot of tomato seeds from ju.
Rather than naming all the flower seeds, I took a picture of them all, (next post). Here's the fence as I went along and after I was done.
Will

This message was edited Apr 20, 2014 5:59 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I need to do another post to get all my pics. These first, second, third and 4th pics are all the seeds and 2 yellow Hollyhock roots in the planting. The fifth pic is a black pot of Hibiscus seeds from ju.
Hope they all come up!

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I hope they grow for you too !!! nice pics of goings on there!!!

Some of my odds and ends ;
1&2 2 of 4 replacement purple Coneflowers seeds from shortleaf last fall
#3 White swan Echinacea today
# 4 seed menagerie ... poppy a while ago are planted Cinnamon Basil & Anthemis sprouted last night Kale & lettuce already sprouted and planted in the garden leeks also ..
White swan Echinacea's keep sprouting and dying , not good .. last falls return is the only one I have so far ..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

In all fairness though , there is a coneflower on the end of 4 of them , that may be from the seeds from pepper ,, more to come .
From around the garden ,, green plants mostly , blooms yet to come

rue, zinnia under bottles , iris , not sure , tulips

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Thanks ju, congrats on the seedlings. Your seedlings and sprouts look great!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here ya go Daffodil
Happy Easter to all here .

2 & 3 are dwarf daffodil cute little things .lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Happy Easter! I am sitting down with my feet up! GREAT day.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Happy Easter! My yellow tulips opened today. I've been busy this weekend building an awesome A-frame cucumber trellis. Lovely weather all weekend which is about to end tomorrow & back to work.

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. I'm relaxing too watching Judy Garland & Fred Astaire in the Easter Parade.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I finished tilling my garden today and some pruning. My dad took my truck to barn to work on it and now it is stuck in park. Gear shifter won't move. Sooo either column crapped on me or tranny did.

The rain is moving in! - http://www.kshb.com/weather
I did a little more raking today, only about 4 sacks this time though, I poop out fast. -
My old Ford pickup did something like that too, pepper. Only I adjusted the bolt wrong and it didn't start in park, it started in reverse and it ran over (and broke) my foot! There was linkage on mine that went to the transmission from the column and it has a bolt on it that adjusts. Not sure what's wrong with yours though, maybe that rod (linkage) is bound up somehow. I remember it was pretty easy to get to (by the firewall), but you might have to get under the truck. My older truck (1970) was fairly easy to work on because of not so much clutter and things in there.

I will get that 3 tier fountain put together soon, it's my centerpiece.

Here's some raking, it is starting to look a little better back there. - See the kitty? It's keeping me company! Actually, it thinks it owns the yard, it ran off this other stray cat again today! lol

Pics 2 and 3 is my Speedwell Veronica on the right and my 'Munstead' Lavender on the left.

Nice Daffs, ju, that's a nice yellow.

And happy Easter to everyone from me too!
Will

This message was edited Apr 20, 2014 7:54 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

We've narrowed down the possiblities on the steering column thanks to a cousin of mine. It's not any linkage on the outside. The column will have to be taken apart tomorrow to get a good look.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Pepper I sure hope you figure out whatwrong with the truck. Do not like car problems.

Will your yard is looking great wow. You have done lots of work there. Mine is shaping up too. Am so happy to have it nice outside. Am planning where to plant my new babies!!!
Today we have the ultrasound for my daughter we hopefully will find out if its a girl or boy... can not wait. My daughter her husband, my daughter Amanda , and Rhonda is my daughters MIL. Is going to be there too.
So I am sure there will be tears. Of joy that is.

Easter was spent all day with family. Morning spent cooking dinner, then lunch eating, then afternoon spent chasing DGD all over the yard....we went from the homemade swing to the watergarden to the chickens to do garden room all around the house picked flowers and did it all over again and again and again. rofl.

GL so exciting....
Pepper it just seems to be one thing after anotherr, glad you have someone to help you. When I was single, I could handle about everything house yard etc, but when it came to the car aghhh that was my downfall. I hated that!

daffs and tulips blooming heavy sooo pretty. Glad for the rain this morning, hopefully be able to pull weeds this afternoon.

Yeah, it is one thing after another. Frustrating!! My dad's working on it tonight so hopefully he figures it out. Hoping I don't have to replace steering column (again) or tranny. Just a part or two. Alot cheaper!!

Here's a new nusery site to check out. Mostly native and drought tolerant plants.

http://www.blackfootnativeplants.com/

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We are having a girl!!!! Her name will be Avery Layne. So aborable. Love seeing the ultrasound. So amazing how we can look in to see a new creation isn't it? I love her so much already. I want to hold her so bad. We went shopping right after. Lol. Had so much fun.

Oh congratulations on the pretty little baby girl. Alot easier to go shopping now....lol I know you had so much fun.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Yikes! I am too far behind, but enjoyed the pictures!

Happy Easter belatedly. We had a quiet day at home. DD goes to her SIL's all day and that's fine with us. They do up a big dinner and she's right there to do chores when she needs to.

We had all four grandkids, starting Friday noon, and all went well. Thankfully it was beautifully warm so we spent most of it outside. We took them home about 6:00pm Saturday. By then all of them were ready to go.

Sunday I planted my garlic and a few early rows of spinach. Next week I'll do all the spinach for freezing and more eating, and the cool crops. We didn't get much rain yesterday so it's a good thing we've been watering.

This is our cool week and I think the last freeze is going to be over or it is and it will just get down to 34 at the coldest. I so hope it's over!

I have one early daffodil and one early border iris blooming! I also have asparagus up and we'll eat it before the coldest temp Friday.

Have a beautiful day!!

Thanks GL, the yard cleanup is a work in progress, I'd like to be done before Summer.
Congrats on your grandchild.

I cleaned the porch today. I wanted to do it soon before my Petunias stopped blooming.
Surprisingly enuff, all those Petunias recovered from that freeze we had Sunday nite before the last one. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9812771
Of course, I took photos of my porch-cleaning! -
I got a pic today of this really pretty tree where I go for lunch at work and eat. I've never seen a solid colored tree like this, it is beautiful. Anybody have any idea what kind of tree that is?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

SInce it's pink I'm saying either crabapple or a really nice redbud cultivar. MAybe dogwood. Post in T&S and see what they say. lol. My jap maples may not survive down there by the road so if that tree is a smaller tree I like it.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It is the right size for a very nice Redbud but the color of Crepe Myrtle suggests a very large Myrtle or a cultivar of Ornamental Crab .
That center Trunk and all those Branching Big Limbs sure screams Redbud though ..

Thanks, my guess would be a Crabapple too. Yea, I thought I'd also try Trees and Shrubs.
If it IS a Crabapple, I have successfully grown them from seeds before. I doubt that's it's a fancy cultivar, it's too old. A cultivar of anything wouldn't be true from a seed. I think that tree might be rare in that the flowers are so solid in bloom. It's not a very small tree, it's about 35 or 40 feet tall, it appears. Here's another shot of the bark. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Man !!! That a Calico Lilac !!! ^_^
Ooops I got so excited I forgot to say . I have never seen a red -pink of one before ,, they are usually white ..

This message was edited Apr 22, 2014 9:17 PM

okay let's try again , Will do you have a leaf pix , and do I really see white blooms hanging in that tree or from another there with it ..

This message was edited Apr 22, 2014 9:26 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well any way now that I am all calm again ,lol I see heart shaped Redbud leaves in there , but I have never seen a Redbud bloom like a lilac ,, Who Hybridized that a Baby ..? A; lil-A-Bud tree ? lol ^_^ Not so funny though ,, I wonder ,really

LOL. I've never seen blooms like that on a tree before.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Pepper , Does that mean ? You have Redbud trees that Bloom like that where you all here are , ? or does that mean it's just funny because you have really never seen blooms like that ?

I've never paid attention to the blooms up close on the redbuds. lol. Distance looking. They always look like single blooms instead of clusters like that.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Congrats GL! I feel your excitement. I felt the same way while awaiting Chloe's arrival and she ended up coming 1 month early. "Avery Layne" What a nice name.

BP, 4 grandkids at once! I hope that they play well together. Even better, it would be nice if they helped with the gardening chores!

I've found several old pots in the garage that I saved from previous plant purchases. In a few weeks, I'll start potting up blackberries, cherry bushes, etc... I've been transplanting them into the garden border, so they're all together.

I've been seeing native lady bugs around and lots of pollinators. No bad guys yet; like cuke beetles & squash bugs. Unfortunately, they'll rear their ugly heads eventually & I'll be ready!

Time to cook dinner, so I better grab my apron & get started. Bon apetit!

Will you know what you need between those two walks is a Japanese maple tree.
My red bud even tho it is small does not have blooms like that.

Billy we are suppose to get down in the high 30's next week in the city. Hope out here in the country we don't have frost.

Making signs for the plant sale, digging plants for the plant sale, distributing signs at the business around town for the plant sale, and keeping track of the plants for the plant sale in google....rofl. Now I don't workk somehow things keep coming my way. Excited we are going to have some great plants.

Happ, in the middle of that porch/ramp? Yea, I plan to get something else in there. I have 2 small Japanese Maples, an 'Ornatum' from Ebay and a 'Bloodgood' from Aldi. The Bloodgood is growing a little faster, maybe I can try it there. That Golden Euonymus doesn't look too good right now. Luckily though, it HAS recovered from the extreme cold, thank goodness. It lost ALL it's evergreen leaves but it's growing new little ones right now, boy was I glad to see that!

It's always nice to see ladybugs.

I asked in the Trees and Shrubs forum what the identity was of that red flowering tree and they say that it's a crabapple tree. I believe Redbuds flower more lavender. Here's a Redbud in bloom. -
A Calico Lilac?! Hehe.. isn't that a bush?! A leaf pic? I'll have to wait a bit on that, right now, fortunately, it's all or mostly flowers.

Will

This message was edited Apr 23, 2014 8:10 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello , You think I might of known that I have both.. Guess I can't see anymore ,, lol ? It all ran together after a while ,,, .^_^
Got a poppy from wintersow cubes , several really .
Still slowly planting ..

Thumbnail by juhur7

It looks like my other Jap Maple from last year will probably have to be replaced too. Giving it time but so far only 2 limbs seem to be alive and have buds. Now I'm trying to think of a smaller tree that won't need cutting from tree cutters (power line) that has purple leaves and handles sun? I think redbuds can. There is a cultivar I think that has purple leaves. Haven't seen it this year though.

Just got back from water aerobics class. Had a blast!! I worked with our instructor last year so that's how I found out about it. A friend and I are gonna keep up with it.

Nice poppy there, ju! : )
'Forest Pansy' Redbud comes to mind as a reddish/purplish leaved one. - http://www.gardenality.com/Plants/240/Trees/Purple-Leaf-Redbud.html
I've seen it called red and purple, I think it varies there. 'Ace of Hearts' is another smaller one. - http://www.gardenality.com/Plants/971/Trees/Ace-Of-Hearts-Redbud.html

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Ronna!
I missed that!
CONGRATULATIONS!! A girl will be so much fun! Well, boys are too, LOL!
Her name is adorable!

Aw Pepper,
Your truck....

Will,
The porch looks good and even better with pots added! And with a chair and cat!!
I'd say a Flowering Crab.
It's too full for a redbud and they are more purplish.

Betty (Boop :o)
They do play well together altho Grandpa usually plays with the boys and I watch the twins.

Happ,
I've never seen a year like this one. We were nice this week and no higher than the 40's next week. But, I'm not seeing the hard freeze at night.

Will,
I have the common green Eunonymus and they too lost the top leaves, but all are growing back. I'm colder than you, so you should never lose your's.

Ju,
Good looking poppies! I should have Purple Plum self sow. I'm not seeing them yet.

Pepper,
I'm envying your water exercises :o)

Yesterday, we had the yahoos for a few hours. DD went to the sale barn with more goats.
We have them all day today so she can get goats ready for the sale that 4-H kids go to to buy their animals to raise and show in July and August.
We have everyone most of the day Saturday when the sale is.

Yesterday, expecting rain, we went ahead and planted more spinach, radish, turnip, lettuce and beets. Then it rained, Woo hoo!

Have a restful day all!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Billy thanks we are all so excited about the granddaughter.... she will be a great blessing for all of us. She will be my parents 2nd great granddaughter. Loved seeing the ultrasound.
I got lots of gardening done yesterday. It was almost 60 out and really enjoyed working outside.
We had a cake auction at work to benefit the heart association. I won a great cake chocolate with lots of great caramel in the middle. Yummy we both love it. Idid share some at work already. Lol.
Whatever the plant is Will it is really pretty. We have several of them here in plainwell. Not in my yard tho. The porch looks great too. Petunias are always in our garden plans they are the hubbys favorites.
thanks green we are so very happy about the baby. Be it boy or girl.

Thanks GL.
I read that the straight green Euonymus is hardier than the variegated one I got (Golden Euonymus). I saw zone 5 for yours and zone 7 for mine. I'm pushing my luck I'm afraid and it's in a metal bucket! It's back this Spring though so all is good in the Euonymus world here!
Nobody even sits in that chair. I put it in a shed one day and my friend says, "where'd the chair go, I put my purse and stuff in it when I open the door". So, I put it back. I tie it to the railing so it doesn't blow away.

Oh, I got plants on the porch alright, around 7 to be exact! lol 1st pic See the 2 stray cats (Romeo, the black & white one, and Bernie) skulking around?! Today, at Home Depot, I bought some veggies and some cheapo topsoil. pic #2 I plan to mix that with some potting soil I got, I plan to make some poorman's potting soil. I'm assembling a raised bed for the deck.

Pic #3 is that variegated Euonymus (Golden Euonymus).
The 4th pic is a regular Lilac in a pot and it is blooming nicely.
The last pic is 2 of the 3 newest additions to the porch, (the other one being that green planter in the third pic, it has Purple Coneflowers in it). Those other 2 are a Strawberry planter on the left with an Irish Moss in the top. That other little silver tin has a grass in it and it also has an Irish Moss in it.
Will

Will and happ look outside!! Very bright rainbow on the south side. GORGEOUS!!

Truck appears to be somewhat fixed. My dad messed around with the wires today. Found nothing wrong but it started working after unplugging and plugging back in. lol. Cap and rotors to be replaced tomorrow then all good...for now.

Forest Pansy is the one I was thinking of!! I'll reseach it and see if I can get it anytime this year.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Will that looks really nice ,, Thanks earlier to you and BillyP for the poppy comments ,
Euonymus and moss looks really green near the concrete .. nice cooling effect ..

pepper haven't seen Rainbows here since last year ,,,

Gardenlady123 Nice gift , being grandparents once again ,, cheers up tomorrows ..^_^

Happ ,,, A plant sale , still building the Green Jungle ... lol Yes I know , it is too dry where you are , and the plants really cheer it up with all that living bloom look .

I planted about 50 or 60 zinnia between the rain sprinkling down today , A sprouter full of seeds of zinnia . All goes well except the bending at ground level once in a while
Zinnia should not be confused with a Taco salad though , he he .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

I looked too late. I saw an unusual cloud formation on the West, does that count?! lol Did you get a pic, pepper? It's getting dark now, I'm getting ready for bed soon, 6am comes early again.
Will

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.