April 2014 Returning to the great outdoors!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a few pics. Post them tomorrow.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh Will I remember having to get up early...rofl....actually I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow to meet friends to go garage sales. Just what I need someone elses junk...lol

I read the post and all I can remember is about the proud grandma and grandbaby!

Yeah spending all my time getting ready for the plant sale right now. Takes alot of time. We have so far 295 plants and that is between 3 of us. Some are vegtables but most are plants. Listen to these tomato varieties, Juliet, Amana Orange, white queen, black brandywine, german red strawberry tomato, amish paste, striped roman, mexico midget, just to name a few!

Pep I missed the rainbow ;( Bet it was pretty. Glad the truck is getting happier.

This weekend our little city is having a civil war reinactment of the civil war. They are explecting about 2000 people....gheez that is about the population...rofl.

Billy they are threatening us with frost next week if the nights clear off, so I am hoping for cloudy.

Here is a pic of one of our first plant sale. Now we hold them indoors and they are bigger. Every plant has a big tag showing a picture of the plant when it is mature and/or in bloom along with how to care for it. Some pots are big and some are small. Mine are the size of the pots on the second table. Pep home depot is pretty nice, they will let me have black plastic pots and those carrying trays.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ronna,
Avery has made many people happy :o)
Wow, you won a great cake!
W're having just enough good weather to get out and weed and it feels good!

Will,
I didn't know the varigated was more tender. I prefer the all green. I have a varigated Mock Orange and it doesn't have a lot of cream in it.
Gotta have chairs! We sit in our's, but also set groceries on them when we unlock the door, LOL!
I set a chair like that in the cat's pen and they love to sit in it.
Aww, second picture is so cute :o)
Oh, a yellow varigate, not cream. I like it!
Lilacs? Seriously? Beautiful!
Yep, the porch is decorated nicely!

Pepper,
I do hope your truck is done for a long time.

Ju,
Laughing over your taco salad! I will direct sow Zinnias or, start them in peat pots so I can just plop them in. I'm not sure how many to go for this year. I really want hummers and butterflies.

Happ,
The best ''junk'' is junk to decorate the yard with :o) I have no where else to store yard ornaments and it's real hard to not buy any more.
Your plant sale will go real well. I think the whole USA is ready to plant after this goofy winter.
Fabulous plant sale!!

We run out and get the kids at 8:00 am today and it will be an ALL DAY'ER. I slept poorly so I hope they take a nap, LOL!

Because... at 2:00 am, I turned over in bed. Discovered Petey wasn't in the spot I put my hands when laying on my left side, smiled and stretched out. Felt something. Picked it up, and it was a dead little mouse. I tossed it on the counter, but then figured it wouldn't be there this morning so I got a flashlight and now used kleenex to pick it up with and tossed it outside. Meanwhile, Petey had been standing at my pillow. How he knew, or how long he waited for me to turn and find his gift is beyond me. I actually heard a noise out in the other room an hour earlier and Petey scooted up the hall. We haven't had mice for years, so I didn't suspect....

Have a good day all!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

6:30 is early for garage sales too!
Yes, that rainbow sounds beautiful! I have yet to find one with a pot of gold at the end of it!
Wow happ, that is some good tomatoes there.
This sure is an interesting and cool sculpture to make out of Euonymus. - http://www.pssc.ttu.edu/techhort/PLANTID/euonymou/euonymus.htm
Yeah, that variegated Euonymus (Golden Euonymus) is unlike other variegated plants I've seen. Most of the variegated parts is like a yellow on this, most variegations are cream/beigish/tan color.
I'm pretty sure it's just a $6.98 plant from Lowes or Home Depot in about 2007. I see them at those stores for sale every year. - http://www.lowes.com/pd_94872-1729-NURSERY_0__ I'm sure it was just like this but much smaller, that's like the size it is now.

That ol' Petey! Ewww a dead mouse in bed! The counter?! Sally, were you sleeping in the kitchen again?!

That black and white cat, Romeo, really likes that chair on the porch, he is laying in it now!
I got some more pics of that tree I was trying to identify earlier. I got out of the car this time and got up close, I found some leaves. The flowers are turning brown, the tree isn't as pretty now. -
I'm pretty certain it's a Crabapple, I've seen alot of other trees just like it but not nearly as big and nice in flower.

Will

This message was edited Apr 25, 2014 7:25 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Happ we are going to a neighborhood sale today. Hope you enjoy yours too. Really like going fun to see the junk!!! Lol I mean treasures. I am looking for some pretty older plates. I have a project for the. So let the hunt begin.
Pepper sure hope the truck is fixed for your sake. My husband got stopped the other nigbt coming home from work. No back lights. I had to pick him at early this morning at 2 am to be exact. Kinda wierd being out so early in the morning. He was worries about driving the truck.
That tree is very beautiful Will. Love the flowering trees too.
I love zinnias too. They are some of the very first seeds I planted way back years ago. Have a great saturday all.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will,
LOL! We have a built in dresser under the windows so that is the counter :o)

Ronna,
At least you get a warning for a light out and not a ticket. It's good to know your light is out tho.

Yesterday went well. The boys went to the sale barn after school so we just had the twins, till 9:20 pm. Thankfully they crashed at 6:00 pm and I was able to watch a few of my shows to give closure to a day without schedules :o)

Today, I guess her sale is just in the morning so we only have them a few hours. I'm glad. I need to get back into a routine and walk my yard to see what is blooming.

The twins tasted bluebell honey too, but we have to leave some for the bees.

We have two kids and one swing... I've never seem two more manic depressive kids as these when it's time to get in or out of the swing. No, MY turn is echoed by no, MY turn. It's funny, but I can't laugh.

Have a delightful day everyone!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, billy I remember those days.... soon my gkids will be saying thesame thing lol.

A built-in dresser, I see bp.
All this talk about grandkids, I don't even have kids! lol I'm gonna do like Larry King maybe, have kids when I'm 80.

My friend and me saw Captain America today, good movie. We were surprised how crowded the theater was, it's been out for awhile but it's a really good movie.

I had an idea, to put the raised bed on the deck right outside the back-door! So, we'll see how that works out. I took some pics of while I was putting it together and everything. I even made some Coleus cuttings after I finished the bed, today. pics 1-4 Anybody want a Coleus 'Watermelon' plant, they grow reliably from cuttings. I already have some Wondering Jew cuttings made. The Spiderplants will be easy to get ready to bring to the Roundup too. Tomorrow, I have a ton of vegetable seeds from ju and pepper to put in that bed also. I hope weed fabric holds up okay under that bed!

Pepper, you and your friend can ride with me if you want. If your truck isn't running real great, that could be an option. I am going to pull my small trailer behind my car, so plenty of room for plants too. My car is small, it gets good gas mileage and it's a 4 seater. Or if anybody else wants to ride with me that's fine too.

It was nice today, I believe it was around 80 at the warmest. This is what it was on the deck about 5p this afternoon. The last pic.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I've been busy gardening in between rain showers. Dry this morning, so I'm outdoors again before leaving to church. Have about an hour. Check in later when I get a chance. Family wanting black berry suckers, so glad I have plenty to spare.

Hi all had a great sale day. Bought some glass.stuff got a garden angel had fun ate a great lunch in Buckner or some place. Found some outdoor cushions in someones trash for my dog...rof bought some tools for me found silk flowers.for the.cemetery

Saturday went to a civil war reenactment and really enjoyed that.

Then today dug more.plants for the sale. Think I am up to 30 plants. Hope everyone survived the storm. It is cold up here

We are ok here. Had rotation at my house then a tornado touched down in Odessa briefly. One street got hit hard but town is a mess. More storms later.

Sally, hope the tornadoes avoid you today.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ronna,
If the tree was bigger we could have two swings, LOL!

Will,
You never know where life will take you. There may be kids in your future. If not your's, a relative or neighbor.
I LOVE the raised bed! That will be so nice!

Betty,
I wish I had a place for blackberries and raspberries.

Happ,
Laughing! A perfect weekend! I hope everyone found plants to buy and that all of your's sold.

Oh Pepper!
Did it twist any of your plants or trees?

We were so lucky too be in that ''famous hole'' where we usually don't get any rain.
We finally got rain late afternoon and it rained all evening and in the night. Maybe all night. It was raining when I got up, but not now. We had chances of severe weather all around us. Two tornados on the ground, but apparently no serious damage. Both north and south of us. We just got to enjoy the rain.

It was warm yesterday but not stifiling and that helped to not have bad weather. I'm grateful!

Have a good day!

Nothing twisted here. Turns out that we had 90+ mph straight line winds blow thru my town and the neighboring town. That's what caused the damage around here.

So glad no damage Pepper. Thru DG I have friends all over and you can't help but think about them.

Dang today was too cold to do anything, and the winds were just chilling! I thought it was suppose to be sunny.

I may have actually dug and potted a poppy and it looks like it is going to survive! I only did two because they are really hard to do.

Our sale isn't until May 17. Just seems like spring is later and later. It use to be the first Saturday in May but we changed it since the plants are dug out of our yard and the plants were just not big enough to dig. Well the dip in cold weather this week should help our tomato plant sale cause I am guessing those that planted all ready may be in trouble.

Thanks Sally, hope the raised bed turns out nice and not a dirty, soily mess on the deck. THEN my name will be mud! Thanks bp, ju and GL I need to stay on top of that porch to keep it cleaned off good. No kids might actually be a good thing at this point!

I'm getting my Topsy Turvy tomato planter back out this year. I cleaned it all up and I'm going to put a tomato plant in it soon. Boy, it IS cold and the wind is cold and strong!

Lots of work getting ready for your sale, happ, and out of your own yard, yeow!

Lots of stormy weather in this region. Glad everything is okay there pepper. Odessa is like the next city over from you. The poor people around Little Rock, AR. got hammered again by a tornado.

I have some photos in the RU thread here of Spiderplants for people to get if they want them.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2014 4:19 PM

Part of my yard is technically in Odessa. lol. It was definitely a scary moment for those in Odessa. Now I feel sorry for those in the South because they are getting hammered right now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes indeed stay safe as possible in the storms , all of you .

Happ ; some poppies

Yes indeed the deck work looks nice , hope it all goes well .

.Had to add a couple of Tulips ..^_^

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'll be missing some on here because of 3 nights of church revival. Had a great time & will resume tomorrow at 7 pm. Since it's rainy, I'm not able to garden anyway. I did get all my trellises & bean teepees up over the weekend, so I'm ready to plant my warm season crop.

Everyone stay safe as we transition into the merry, merry month of May. Flowers! Flowers! Flowers!

Hi all! Thanks ju, the deck stuff is going good, this cold snap has slowed things down out there though. I watered the veggie plants about an hour before I pulled them up for a few days.
Here they are in the bathtub, we rarely use the tub anyway. - pic #1

Well, the leaves have to be raked sometime! So, I put on my rainsuit and raked up 6 sacks! -
I have a tendency to rake leaves when the weather is bad, last year it was snowing one day when I raked..lol In the background of the third pic is a Leyland Cypress that might be biting the dust from the cold this Winter. A little Leyland that I bought for $3 (it's in a pot) turned completely brown already, they aren't too hardy. The 4th pic is just a pic of the porch. The last pic is a front yard bed where I got English Ivy and some Ferns growing by some rocks I found. -

Home Depot does have some reasonable deals on 8 packs of flowers for $3.33 each 8-pack.
Not just flowers, I've bought an 8 pack of yellow Marigolds, an 8 pack of a Sedum and an 8 pk. of Dusty Millers. Usually, those 8 or 10 whatever packs are around $10. These are a bit smaller but many of them are in bloom even. I like the smaller size myself, (I also like cheap), they also fit in like Strawberry planters or other planters that require a smaller plant at first.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Pepper,
Those straight line winds are almost as bad! The damage down south was just devastating. I don't know how people lived thru it.

Ju,
I haven't seen any poppy sprouts here. LOVE fringed tulips! The last tulip is like a firey peony. Nice!

Betty,
I figure all jobs done when opportunity knocks is, well, a job done, LOL! It's so wet here, I won't have to do much till I can get into the beds to weed. I can reach from the outside tho. So far we are trying to control the dandelions.

Will,
Laughing, but admiring your moves. Raking leaves is so much easier when they are wet. They pack better too, so more goes in a bag. It's a shame you couldn't store those bags somewhere in the sun and end up with leaf mold. But, can't have the neighborhood police tell you your yard is messy.
And, you have the yard and deck looking nice!

Chilly and wet, but I need to get out and walk later.

Have a good day all!

Cold today! Wind chill 30's. Gonna be almost 90 0n Tuesday so NO spring right into summer.
Will I can not and will not do wet and cold! rofl.
I have a ton of the old fashioned orange poppies. Took my Mom several years to get them started and I love them! I use to have one fancy poppy but I don't remember seeing it lately...hummm.

Will here is my new succulant planter. I will plant it when ever it warms up. I figure string of pearls, string of bananas, burros tail, and then I don't know for sure.

I am going to hang it over the patio table. When you are sitting at the table you will see the underneath which is the second pic. Some people put candles in them which would be cool at night especially if they are china cups cause they would glow at night.

I have one under the pergola also but it has solar lights in it since it gets alot more sunlight.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

Didn't mean to hit, hey thanks Will for the heads up on the plants at home depot. I may run by there today and see what they have. I didn't buy any of the baskets from Sutherlands when they were on sale. Looked at them but just wasn't ready I guess. I need more sedums. Love them.

Check our ad for tomorrow also. We have some good deals going on. 8 packs will be 4 for 10.

Double rainbow from the other day and the famous pregnant plant. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23

That's a neat Succulent planter happ, lots of work. Kinda craftsy, you are a creative, craftsy type aren't you? They do some of that kind of stuff with inexpensive stuff they find at sales then make neat things out of them and sell them, I think it's called Flea Market Finds, or something like that, on HGTV. Now I want string of bananas! I have the others in MY succulent planter.

Oh pretty adamant about the inclement weather are we happ?! That's what my friend here says, she likes the sound of the rain from INSIDE the house! She says she's a delicate wood nymph or hothouse flower or something..lol

I almost bought this nice 6 pk. of Stone Crop Sedums at HD for $10 but then I saw the way ($3.33) cheaper 8 packs and I put the Stone Crops back but man was that tempting, they were real nice.

Yeah wet leaves really rake and pack up good in the bag but boy is the bag ever heavy when your done. I put them out at the curb today, I hope they get picked up before the bottoms of them fall out.

Wow pepper, pretty rainbow, the photos came out good. I love me a good rainbow! lol
That is a good sale pepper, now I just need to find $10!

Oh, I forgot to say something. Now, they're saying 36 for a low tomorrow nite here, them tomatoes of yours are going to get a bit chilly! - http://www.kshb.com/weather

This message was edited Apr 30, 2014 8:36 PM

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

What's May's thread going to be titled? I've got to be at work early tomorrow & going to bed right now, so someone else will have to start it. Good night all & will visit with you next on the new May thread.

Farewell to April; until 2015 (the year I turn 60!)

The May thread is here. - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1358512/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.