Perennial Sales?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Any plant sales not to be missed?
Any specific ones that you would recommend?

Thanks much
V

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Bluestone Perennials conducts a 50% sale on selected plants every Friday.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/specials.html

It has been going on for weeks, and continues. From it, I have ordered:

Athyrium nipponicum pictum
Campanula Bellringers
Arabis Red Sensation
Salvia Swan Lake
Eragrostis Spectabilis
Baptisia alba
Pennesetum Hameln
Miscanthus Graziella

I have ordered most of them in threes. I ordered from them last year on the preseason sales and the plants were spectacular - probably the best I have ever received from them. These are new season plants which perhaps are not being ordered in the numbers that they would prefer. But if you want something on that list (look under "Specials" on their web page), I have found it to be a great source.

This message was edited Apr 9, 2014 6:38 AM

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Looks like a nice site. Def found a few plants that I want to order on special :)
btw.. have you tried costco? They always seem to have a good price on shrubs, trees and bulbs.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you, but I'm so compulsive that I ordered my shrubs for spring last year. I've never tried Costco, but I have been thinking of joining, and this gives me an incentive to do so.

Do check every Friday. You might want to get on their email list. I ordered from the pre-season sale last year and was blown away by the quality of the plants.

Donna

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

If you are looking for a one day Road/Ferry Trip from Vashon Island- every year the Snohomish County Master Gardeners group has a humongous plant sale. It's not just a bunch of 'shovel pruned' stuff (tho there is tons of that), venders from all over the PNW come and have booths. May 3 McCollum Park, in south Everett. Even bigger is "Sorticulture" in Everett June 6,7,8 which has a theme of Garden Art, plus even more venders with all kinds of interesting things. For example- a family business in Snohomish that specializes in carnivorous plants!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Sounds like a great road trip and plant sale combo. I have added it to my calendar.
Thanks for letting me know!!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Bluestone Perennials def have great Friday 50% deals. Ordered a bunch.
I also found some great clearance roses at Lowes :-)
Any other ideas my fellow gardeners ??

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I received wonderful, beautiful plants from Bluestone this spring, but haven't tried the Friday sale yet. I suspect you'd get great sale plants from them.
I advise great caution with Costco. I used to buy plants from them but there were some that were mislabeled... not just at one purchase or even year, either. It was a big disappointment to wait for the flowers and then have them be completely wrong. Of course, by then I didn't have a receipt or the packaging so they couldn't be returned.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the caution warning on Costco. I buy almost everything by mail, with the occasional plant at a terrific nursery. I can always just walk in with any problem - although there have not been any!

I am more likely to buy from a place like a Meijer very late in the season, when they are blowing out what they can't sell. I paid $8 each for Endless Summer hydrangeas they had been trying to sell for $26. I could see the blooms, and knew what I was getting. Maybe that's the way to go.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2014 2:36 PM

Wow!! Great price!!! I'm with you, when local reputable nurseries still have what you want at the end of the season, you will get fabulous bargains and you'll know exactly what you are getting.

I'm sooo jazzed for the growing season. My beautiful Bluestone plants are waiting for me to plant them, it's supposed to get to the mid 50's, and it's not supposed to rain today. Sounds like a day to dig in the garden!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Goody, you have yours? Then I should be getting mine soon. It's beautiful here today, and I am putting in the glorious lilies I got from B&D Lilies, and finishing cutting back and prepping my roses.

And for the first time EVER every peony I installed last year, or moved, has broken dormancy. After all the years of trial and error I have finally learned how to plant a peony!

Woohoo! Got pics?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Sure. Not the world's best pictures, since I took them for record keeping purposes (I'm one of thos anal people who records when my peonies bloom every year).

Mrs. FDR (I got this from Old House Gardens season before last, and like an idiot put it in a walnut tree bed. The buds formed and aborted, so I dug it up, replanted it and cross my fingers. Thank goodness, it worked. Here it is today . Pic. 1

Same story with Festiva Maxima. Here it is today. Pic. 2

Burma Joy. I moved this blooming peony from a sunny to a shady location. It did not bloom last year. I moved it again last fall. It's happy. Pic.3

Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I also have ordered multiple things this year from Bluestone. I usually order in 3s as well, unless I want one specifically for a focal plant. They send in biodegradable pots, so less transplant shock. I do harden them off for a week just in case as they are most probably greenhouse grown. I add to the order if I find something I want each Friday and have requested shipping after Mother's Day, so it's one shipping fee instead of multiple. They also have sales throughout the spring, summer and winter. I pays to be put on the email list. And they have a year's guarantee to boot. Always have gotten nicely sized plants and pleasant service. Been using them for years.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

That's excellent. I didn't realize you could do that with the shipping dates. I wanted to order more from them and was lamenting that I will have to pay multiple shipping every Friday or so :-)

BTW - to the earlier comment on Costco, I actually have had great luck with them. I have bought all kinds of bulbs and plants from them and the quality has been great every single time. So far this year, bought a bunch of Daffodils, Lillies, Callas, Hostas and Bleeding Hearts. All are doing swell.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh no, yadagard. I started ordering in December, and have orders in January and March. They hold them and ship them all at once!

SMART!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Another possible source of good sales for perennials is Santa Rosa Gardens. Late last fall they offered 50% if you ordered in 2013 for delivery date of your choice in spring of 2014. I ordered from them in the past and been very pleased. They also have a good rating from Dave's Watchdog. I am eagerly awaiting all those plants I ordered before Christmas.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Romence Gardens created a gift certificate that you could buy for yourself. It's great, because I can now convince myself that, doe to a %40 present to myself, I am only paying $15 for some rocking plants.

Lovely peonies! They always look so unexpected when they start coming up for the year.

That's a great idea about the shipping, yadavgard. Very smart indeed!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey Felisa! Your baptisia australis is coming along beautifully!

Donna

Paddock Lake, WI

Anyone have a suggestion of where to buy tulips and daffodils? I have a large area I'd like to flood with bulbs for next spring, but I don't have a fortune to spend.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Van Engelen is the wholesale arm of John Scheepers, which is terrific. If you need large numbers of bulbs, you will get them there at great prices without sacrificing quality.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/44/

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I totally agree with Donna.

I use Brent and Becky's Bulbs. Their prices are excellent, they sell in quantity, the selection is huge, and the quality is tops. I have never had any problems with them.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Brent and Becky is wonderful, as is Old House Gardens and others. I ordered from them both this year (and every year) as well as Scheepers. But if you want the greatest dollar value for quality bulbs, which I think was stated as a major concern, Van Engelen is probably the best choice.

(Pam) Warren, CT(Zone 5b)

My Bluestone plants came the other day, and they are wonderful. I did the same as Donna, and ordered 4 different Fridays, 3- 5 multiples of most, a total of 28 plants
:
Anchusa Dropmore, Miscanthus Hameln, Amsonia Blue Ice, Monarda Clare Grace, Heuchera Magic, Agastache Golden Jubilee, Geranium lancastriense, Phlomis Amazone, and Aster Lady In Black.

Much less painful than ordering all at once... And I got my whole wish list, which I would never have done if I'd realized how it was adding up. But I'm thrilled-- brilliant marketing strategy on their part, lol!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Pfg - doing the same with Bluestone. They ship out next Monday, so I have one more weekend to splurge. Between the 50% off and local starter plants,doing pretty well (considering last year when I was just starting to establish the beds at our new house) in keeping the $ in check. with Bluestone, much of what I want, if I wait long enough, will go on sale or I can get it with the free plant over $75. I also found with them that if I have an order building and they send out the email or hard copy coupons for, ex. $2.00 off a butterfly attracting plant, they will take it off the total if I have one already in the que for shipping. And can't beat a year warrantee.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

Just noticed that Bluestone just announced their Spring Clearance sale :)

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Stop me before I shop again!

Actually, I am having a blast shopping for clients. I just ordered 2 Rose Marie Pavie for one and actually went to an honest to goodness garden center and got a miscanthus sinensis gracillimus, 2 graziella and 3 pennisetum Hameln. It's really fun when they have a problem and you can show them pics from your own gardens and they're sold!

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

[deleted by admin]

Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

I just received my order of sales items from SPGardens.

Special attention was given to packaging all of the plants so they arrived safe and healthy.

I wish all nurseries gave such attention to quality.

Thank you Babette!!!

Yadavgard,
the Sorticulture, Everett’s Garden Arts Festival,
is June 6, 7 and 8th at Legion Park in Everett and is really fun.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Babette/Ric: I cannot find your site,or even your thread. Help?
Turtle

13Turtles you can find it on eBay at http://www.ebay.com/usr/sierra_paradise_gardens.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you Shorty.

Okay that didn't work. Hmm.

This message was edited May 30, 2014 11:18 PM

13 Turtles, I'm just seeing your reply. There's a period at the end that needs to be removed. Try this http://www.ebay.com/usr/sierra_paradise_gardens

[deleted by admin]

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh I'm very sure you do! Lol. I hope I can find you this time. Will try later. Thank you again Shorty.

[deleted by admin]

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

A few posts were deleted due to violations of our site rules. We apologize to the thread participants for the intrusion.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.