Buy it before we kill it

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I really, really try not to purchase plants at the big box/home/garden stores and especially at Wallyworld. I do go to the big stores for garden supplies though and at places like Lowe's, I'll take a look at the discount racks which I often refer to as the "buy these before we kill them" racks. I figure if I get a few, I'm doing a good deed.

This attitude becomes a problem at my local Walm**t because the ENTIRE garden center is that "btbwki" section! May I rant?? ;)

Two weeks ago they had potted hibiscus and ornamental fruit trees in the parking lot and several had turned over in the wind. I mentioned it to an "associate". I came back the next day for something and the SAME plants were still lying on their sides, looking horribly dry and wilted. I mentioned this to a manager and guess what? 2 days later, there were the same plants plus more that had fallen over.

I'd like to report that garden center for plant abuse!
Just sayin',
Deb

(Zone 9a)

LOL, been there seen that.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It's really sad isn't it. I see the nursery trucks pull up to unload all those carefully grown plants, knowing that most won't make it.

Anyway, just had to rant. ;)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

What I hate is seeing them barely marked down. I know they will not sell at that still-high price and will finish dying. :(

I have gotten some pretty awesome stuff off the clearance racks. Not all makes it, but enough does to make it worth it. :)

(Zone 9a)

The worst are the Bonnie veggies you see all over right now. Bonnie takes back and credits the stores for anything that does not sell so they have no reason to bother taking care of them, they are not going to lose a cent either way.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

It's pretty sad, and yeah, they'll have a hanging basket that could be saved but they still want $15 for it.
I didn't realize that about Bonnie veg'.

It's not that tough just to water the darn plants; I don't know why they bother to sell them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.