Clematis 2014

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Coming from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307845/#new

Time for another year of chat, photos, wishes and dreams.

This one is Ashva. It has smaller blooms that the typical group 2 clematises and I love it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

I am here Arlene!

Thanks, Carolyn.

I did get to check Ashva today and had cut her back in fall. She has all new growth now. I wonder why we assign gender to some clematises! LOL

Athens, PA

I always put a gender to my plants too. I don't know why some are male and some are female.

My HF Young is male - is yours?

Of course!

Jackmanii, Ruutel, Rituaal, Reiman, Vino are also male while Niobe is undecided.

I think, unless the name hits me as particularly female, they get the masculine gender.

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi guys. =) I'm here too!
I'm back to home ownership and hoping to do a Clematis again. Trying to decide whether to try Negritianka again or try something else. =)

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2006/06/10/Wifeygirl/dbaddd.jpg

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Just a few days of warmth, and the sun is doing its job of waking its charges. Small leaves, and the clematis are growing. They don't always get a gender. We all know that lilies are girls.

Marcia

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

It is nice to changes pages and start a new thread, but it was interesting to read back in 2013 and see when things started blooming last year. Now I now we are not anymore behind than we were .
My clems are doing great, but the hydrangeas, not so sure.

Thomaston, CT

I doubt I will get any hydrangea blooms this year....I had my camellia wrapped in burlap.....It looks fair....I guess time will tell.....more clems on the south side are sending out tiny green bumps.....

Oh yeh. My camellia got a damaged to. And leaf burn, I dont think I have ever seen it so bad,

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

My 2 HL Young is doing great, full of bloomes. Ruutel is blooming but it never grows tall. Allready planing my shade garden, hostas and coleus and some impatients. This is the Masters golf week, so I have been spending the money I have not got yet. It happens every year. Go golfers, moma needs more flower money. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Athens, PA

Etelka

Everything looks so nice and healthy. Cannot wait until we have some leaves on the trees and some clematis blooms.

I think we can all use more flower money. I caught myself earlier today, looking at more clematis online. ^_^

Thomaston, CT

Glad the golfers bring in the flowers.....works for me!

Surprise , surprise surprise,,,, I was watering the flower beds yesterday and, lo and behold, the Clem on the east side of the house is putting out buds. I was shocked.
It is coming Ladies and Gents. Blooms of the Clems is on its way.

Thomaston, CT

I just wish more of mine were showing green!

Me, too, Robin. Mine are awakening ever so slowly - just enough that I know they're alive.

They will start soon, I thought all I had was some leaves coming out.But now I look close and I see buds forming too.

All I see are leaves!

Thomaston, CT

No leaves yet, but with rain ending as snow flurries tomorrow, glad there are no leaves!

Snow again up there Robin. Holy Cow.

Even if it does snow, it won't hurt the clematises. I do hope it misses you, Marilyn.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I finnaly having the tree guys cutting all the tree down, was waiting for 5 weeks for to finish. This city was devestated by ice storm so they where so busy, they are still taking trees of people houses, so I had to wait for a while. Will leave a 4 foot stump and run some wire on it hoping to grow some clematis in the back there to since it will be mostly sunny.
just noticed Neobei is blooming, it was very slow for the last two years, hope it will have more bloomes. New only sick clem is Rebecca, she is about 12 tall and no buds. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

I'm glad you're getting the job finished and can understand the delay even though we gardeners like things to move at a faster pace.

Wire would be good to put around the tree to hold the clematis beauties.

The bark came off my Boxelder/Acer Negundo stump and I love it!

Niobe is slow for me, too, Etelka. I don't have Rebecca to help you out. Patience is the usual answer but manure, compost and a big drink of lukewarm Epsom Salt water can't hurt.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is a very big job, the guys have not seen the tree this size. It is on the ground now and now the trick is to cut it up and haul it away.
My Gypsi Queen is started too, it is runing up with the Lady bank rose, Next to the Gypsi is Julia Cravone, ?, but she is always late. Etelka

This message was edited Apr 14, 2014 4:47 PM

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta

That tree was HUGE! You'll be so glad when it's all gone and it isn't a threat to your home again.

Gipsy Queen looks so good and your rose looks great. Julia Correvon will be even more beautiful when it has the rose to climb.

Thomaston, CT

Yes, what a massive tree that was! I'm sure it gave great shade, but too large to have near the house......Gypsy Queen is one of my favorites, but isn't showing any green yet for me.......raining heavily now, hoping I will not see any snow!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

my new clematis place for the future. One more tree cutting picture and I can plan how will I fill up this place. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

So nice and clear! It's all ready for you to design new gardens.

Athens, PA

Oh Etelka! I am jealous! I would love such a wide open space to plan out new gardens. Please take us on your journey as you create your new gardens.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, I hope that your gardens are waking up after this crazy winter that we've had. The temps were brutal here, but the plants seem to have come through fine, and some are starting to bloom.

Etelka, I'm glad that you were finally able to get the large tree removed. It's now opened up some nice room in your garden. I also look forward to seeing the upcoming changes in your garden.

Here are m. Mayleen, Mrs. Cholmondeley, and Daniel Deronda.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

Beautiful, Annette!

That's the one you had to fix the hooks to hold it, correct?
They are pretty, love the pics.

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my that is my ideal - Clematis-draped entry! What are they holding on to? Hooks?

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Yes, Mayleen is on hooks, plus some of the vines that died were left, to act as support for the live vines. This is the best she's ever bloomed, now that I haven't whacked her down as I did in previous years.

Here is Yukiokioshi, each bloom is surrounded by a halo of leaves. The last picture is a lateral view of the bloom, showing a leaf coming from the underside of the petals. I've never seen clematis blooms like this.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is Omoshiro, one that I got thanks to Arlene, and it's become one of my favorite clematis. Here are the many faces of Omoshiro

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here is Love Jewelry, I had not a clue it was blooming until I took a walk to the back garden where it's planted, and found blooming on the ground.

Arabella also had it's first blooms, and all of the Arabellas are full of buds, except for the 2 new plants put in last fall.

Otto Froebel is also about to bloom.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

My new plants for this spring are 2 Henryi, and a Jackmanii, that came in boxes with very small roots. I was afraid they wouldn't do well, but this is the 2nd-3rd week since they've been planted, and they seem to be putting on some nice growth. I'll let them stay in pots for the summer, and maybe plant them in the fall.

I also got Earnest Markham from one of our local nurseries for $9.99, now I'll have to think about where I want to plant it.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

Each one is so pretty, Annette! Henryi looks eager to grow and Ernest is ready for planting!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Arlene, I'll just have to figure out where I want to plant EM. I'm thrilled that the Henryi roots that I planted are doing well. I plan on growing them on either side of a trellis, with rose Madame Isaac Perrier.

If Henryi's roots are coming through the bottom of that little pot, would you consider potting up to something larger to allow him to expand more? I seem to think they appreciate more room.

What color is Madame Isaac Perrier? I kill more roses than any other plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.