dog hair

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

Hi There, I'm posting this here as well as the cleaning forum.....hope someone has a suggestion....I have a Chihuahua that sheds like a champ....she's slept in a wool blanket on our bed & now the blanket is filled with white hair....I've washed it, dried it, shook it and it's still just awful.....do you have any suggestions?

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

Sometimes you just have to decide if it doesn't bother her then don't let it bother you. Just wash it when needed and put her name on it. :-)

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I agree. Those little tiny hairs get stuck and I have never been able to get them all out. Sorry.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

one of those clothing tape rollers works well but you may go through a whole roll on a large blanket.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Don't have any real suggestion about the cleaning out the fur from the blanket. If hangs onto dog hair anything like my best (wool) coat, I'd say buy a different type of blanket for the bed, and give the nice wool one to the dog. I don't think you'll be willing to use tweezers and a magnifier to pull out dog hairs one by one, like I did for my coat (which I keep in travel bag away from dog hair). Even duct tape was not strong enough to extract all of the dog hair from my wool coat. Literally, hand-plucking, and tweezing was only way to get those last few hairs off. Putting in dryer on air-fluff will remove some of the hair -- with home-type dry-cleaning sheets if you wish, but don't know if it is okay for dog to breath that. That was what I had to do for my favorite black wool coat when we had a shih tzu (mostly white fur showed up on my coat). The wool kinda acted like velcro to hang onto the hair. That was over 15 years ago now.

Dog hair back then was nothing compared to now ...

We have a black lab/dachshund mix whose hair is shorter/sparser than our other black lab mix. We rescued her when she was dumped at a local elementary school. Her coat/fur didn't look too bad; however, she had itchy flaky skin. We've found a solution which also helps with the shedding. Our vet thinks it is fine, too. We give all of our dogs fish oil capsules. We just get bulk from Sam's club. Whatever I'm taking we give to them as well. When we run out, or forget to give it for a while, then poor little Rainey reminds me, because her skin gets dry within a week or two.

We've had her for about 3 years. Have done this mainly in the winter, but we've kept it up year round this past year, and I've noticed that her fur is actually thicker in areas where it used to be much thinner.

I'm not sure whether to attribute the thicker fur to the drastic change in diet (all of our dogs as well) which we began about 9-10 months ago or the fish oil. Maybe combination of both.

Because of the Great Pyrenees (which we rescued) having on-going intestinal problems, we began cooking food for them every day. Since we have a rice cooker, this is easier -- Rice, instant oatmeal (either cooked chicken/burger/egg) and canned peas(or mixed cooked soup veges), along with vitamin powder). Puking/diarrhea stopped, and they are all healthier. The canned peas we added, because of their desire to eat grass (previously knew that we could give peas to alleviate this).

The other two dogs Really Require a Lot of brushing to keep their shedding down! Even though her coat is considerably less dense than our other two dog's, Rainey loves to get brushed. She will even push her way in between me and whichever dog I'm brushing to get another turn. Even though her fur is so sparse compared to the other lab mix (which has a dense softer undercoat), the de-shedding rake removes a surprising amount of "extra" hair. I had never used one of these gizmos until about 5 years ago. I got it at a clearance in a set of 3 different style brushes. I will say, though, run whatever brush you get over the inside of your forearm to make sure that it will not be painful to your pet's sensitive skin! Sometime brushes will have burrs on them, that you don't realize are there.

I know you didn't ask what you could do about shedding / fur control, but I figured I'd share with you anyway.

I'll also throw my 2 cents in about dog on bed: fine on bed, but be aware could get injured from repeatedly jumping off of bed (similar to stress fractures). Wasn't what was wrong with our shih tzu, but suspected -- and only mentioned after he was in so much pain that he couldn't go up/down stairs. Carpeted steps are what is recommended for smaller breeds to get on/off furniture.

It does no good to tell true dog-lovers to not let pets "up on furniture". Hah, as if that's ever gonna happen!

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Check your dog food. An amazing difference with skin, coat, smell, breath, etc, when we started feeding a raw diet. We have been doing Dr. Pitcairn's Natural Dog and Cat Health for 15 years now.

Orofino, ID(Zone 6a)

you guys are so fabulous ! thank you so very much.......I'm donating the two blankets to the local SPCA

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.