Dogs licking odd surfaces, why?

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

My doxie licks soil, the surface on his pet bed, leather on vehicle seats and I'd like to know why, he's 12 and in excellent health. But I hv noticed that in recent yrs he drinks a lot. Of course I make sure he always has fresh water. Wondering if it is a result of some deficiency or just quirky behavior on my precious one

Madison, AL

I guess the correct answer is that he "lacks some nutritional need", but I wonder if he is just curious. Dogs and other animals can't go google what they find and wonder about - they can only smell and taste (like babies). Is this a very recent behavior? Of course, dogs can change their behavior over the years just like people do. The biggest concern may be the drinking (diabetes?). Or maybe he just likes water more. As we age, our tastes change. Maybe his kidneys do not work as well as when he was young and he finds that drinking more makes him more comfortable (of course, he does not reason this out - just follows behavior that rewards him in some way). What do others think? Is Palm Bob (vet) still following DG's? Maybe he has some ideas.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Excellent health. Also I forgot to say that in spite of having a fresh bowl of water at all times, he drinks from the pool, puddles, ditch, my glass if I leave unattended.

Madison, AL

Most dogs like to drink from pools, puddles, etc and my Charlie will get my glass if he can reach it - like it is more special than his own bowl. What would be worrying would be if your dog was drinking an obviously large amount and peeing a lot - that might be diabetes. But a vet could quickly diagnose that and you probably could not miss the symptoms. That is not just being thirsty, but being driven to drink quantities. Does anybody else have any ideas about this?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.