Help Identify

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I have 3 clematises that I need help identifying because I've either moved them and forgotten their names or lost their tags. Photos are attached. Please let me know if you need more pictures to identify. Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Photos without shadows would be good. I know they can appear too bright so if you could get them at an overcast moment it would be helpful.

#3 could be Kaiko/Pink Champagne.

Thanks, Pirl. I'll try to get some pictures without shadows.

I don't remember ever buying a Kaiko/Pink Champagne. I do remember that when I bought #3, it was supposed to be a red one, but it has always looked very magenta to me. It certainly doesn't go well with the red rocket crepe myrtles or anything else in my red bed. I've been thinking about moving it, but it is thriving so well, I'm afraid to disturb it. It seems like every clematis described as red turns out to not look really red to me; they always seem more magenta, burgundy or too purplish. They are beautiful, just not what I expected.

Could # 1 be a Fireworks? I remember buying one and moving it because it seemed purple where it was. Now that it is with my Jackmani, it looks pink.

Based on where they are planted, I'm sure I thought #1 would be purple and #2 would be pink, but maybe I mixed them up.

I know it's rough to try to get ideal photos.

Here's my Fireworks so you can compare.

The best red I've ever seen was clematis lover, Zuzu's, Rebecca.
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/71713/Clematis-Clematis-Rebecca/

You can wait until the first flush of blooms are over to move it. Prepare the new hole in advance with compost, aged manure and bone meal and remember to water the plant well and mulch it with 2" of any kind of mulch.

The clem's can appear to be a different color depending on where you plant it. Any other clematis colors can affect the color of its partner.

Thumbnail by pirl
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The first one is "Bee's Jubilee" http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=81 is the 2nd one true in color or is it more purple and yes the last one is Kaiko or Pink Champagne

So, I'm finally back with more pictures. Not sure if they're better; may just be different. I'm going to post each one in a different message, so I can include more pictures of each one. Here is #1 above.

Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2

Here is #2 above. The flowers do seem more purple than blue to me.

Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2

Here is a new one that hadn't bloomed when I first posted this thread. It's been moved, too, so I don't know what it is either. Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2

Jeanne said the first one is Bee's Jubilee.

#2 still appears to be HF Young.

The last one you posted could be Nelly Moser. This is a collage showing Nelly Moser and Fireworks to try and help you decide but there are other similar clematises so these aren't your only choices.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.