so pretty!

Thumbnail by vossner
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Cecropia moth?

here is one on google.
http://www.genehanson.com/butt2002/dbg_butterflies_031806_066.jpg

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Marti u r right. It was very still hanging on the trunk of a large duranta Cuban Gold. I read that a mate might fly from 7 mi away. Also read that cats will munch on maples, birch, apples. I have a prized jap maple & an apple nearby. Will have to keeps eyes on them as I don't want them munched to sticks. Any recommendations as to what to do if I find caterpillars on my trees. Couldn't really find data on whether common or endangered.

Tks for input, good call.

If they only lay a few eggs it would not be enough to harm either of your trees but if they were to lay eggs all over it, you would end up with sticks. If you find cats on your maple, I have a regular old maple tree and you and I can meet and hand off the cats and they are welcome to feed on my tree.

moth moved to another side of the trunk. I dared to come closer and it did not seem disturbed. In the 2nd pic, is that the pupa?

Thumbnail by vossner Thumbnail by vossner

It certainly looks like the cocoon. Do you see any others around that may not have opened yet?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

First metamorphosis I ever kept was a Cecropia Moth , They used Silver maples here , and regional when I was younger , A beautiful Moth ,
My sisters and a parent complained about the cocoon in the Bay window all of a winter many , many years ago .. lol What a memory ...
If they only knew what I was dreaming about ,!!! I would of really been in trouble ,!!!^_^
I see another moth about the same size flying around the street lights at night , but I don't remember the name .

Oops don't have my terms straight, sorry about that. I don't know if others, but will inspect today

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.