May 2014 - Spring and flowers

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Anyone want any of these irises? They need divided up pretty bad this year.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, have fun in Chicago, GL. I know I did when I visited those places, it was very memorable.
I'd post a photo of that trip but that was before I used the digital camera so much (that trip was in 2000). My photo albums of paper photos are put away lucky for you!

Thanks green, my bamboo appears to have died to ground level, (it was even planted IN the ground).
You've sent me some of your bamboo and it didn't fare well either I'm afraid. In your A. Gigantea's defense, it wasn't planted in the ground. I need to re-think the bamboo this year, when I get some started I may need to have a better planting method ready to be more certain it doesn't go crazy.
I've got some Nanking seedlings growing. The Nanking seeds you sent me sprouted this year. Your right, I'm good on those, thanks for asking green.

Thanks for trying the Spirea too, Betty. My thoughts are it says it's possible. - http://www.ehow.com/how_8123636_propagate-spirea.html
http://www.bing.com/search?q=propagation+spirea&go=&qs=n&form=QBLH&pq=propagation+spirea&sc=1-18&sp=-1&sk=&ghc=1&cvid=bda517b2cd514a978c89f7d529ebf81a
Those nursery people must really propagate the snot out of stuff.

Sure, I'd take some of those first Irises, pepper, thanks!

Hehe.. oh, I just thought it was a no-no to dig up and transplant stuff right now is all. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's ever had to do it in the spring. Here the 'Citronelle' Coral Bells is today, it looks okay, maybe it'll fill out more. Luckily for me, when I dug it up I got all the roots and it still looks pretty.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I went to Home Depot today and got the rooting compound, so I'll be starting those cuttings soon. I try to do a few of each just in case some don't make it.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

We will have fun I just know it. It was such a beautiful day today. We worked around the hoise got a lot done. Mowed cleaned washed windows.
We went to a musical tonight Annie getyour gun. Really a cute and funny show.

I got rooting stuff at Home Depot today, too! I have a list of the plants here that I'm going to try to propagate by cuttings. I got the rooting hormone and a bag of potting mix by Miraclegro. I'm going to try to give the cuttings every chance to be successful. I plan to go by the instructions as close as I can. Let's see, I plan to do all these cuttings in some form or fashion:
regular purple Lilac
Hall's Honeysuckle
Golden Euonymus
Chinese Wisteria
English Ivy (I have 2 kinds, I intend to do them both
Forsythia
More may come to mind as I peruse everything that I got
You've been very busy yourself, GL!
Will

Well, we think we have found the problem with my truck. Cad. converter. Tomorrow we will figure out which one I have and order the part.

Sell the old one, pepper, they have precious metals (ex. platinum) in them. They are very popular with thieves for that reason. Trucks and SUV's are especially good targets for the theft of them because they sit up high enuff for thieves to get under there where they're at! An original one on an older Ford truck probably has more in it than the average one. It's definitely not a part to discard when replaced. We are considering having ours welded in place to maybe deter theft. Our city here has let the residents know that catalytic converter theft happens around here. -
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080119072140AA5nVNU

The shop that will put it on will probably end up keeping the old one. But I definitely plan on seeing if we are able to keep it.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, our car is in the shop right now with the same problem (cad. converter); including leaky valve cover, spark plugs, & possibly O2 sensor. Our car is suppose to be ready tomorrow.

Will, I'm excited that you're starting some cuttings too. I bet that you have more success than me. I hope that you'll provide some pics once you get your cuttings started.

The cold front is slowly approaching with the storms in front weakening quite a bit. My cucumbers and pole beans have sprouted from the last good rain storm, so I hurriedly popped some more seeds into the ground.

I wouldn't have the old one cut off first, if worse comes to worse, you can't drive without one.
I read where on some cars a new one (or new ones, can run in the hundreds or low thousands to replace). - http://www.bing.com/search?q=how+much+does+a+new+catalytic+converter+cost%3F&go=Submit&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=how+much+does+a+new+catalytic+converter+cost%3F&sc=1-45&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=02130304879c44508e697e0acf7c5b5e
Yeah green, I've got everything ready to cut the cuttings, hopefully tomorrow, (everything is tomorrow you know..lol)! Seriously, I'm gonna make a run at getting those plants cuttinged! I doubt that I have more success, my luck is terrible! I saw that St. Louis had yet to get the fifties, tonite they say 40's here.
Alarmist Will : )

I just now brought in a $3 Petunia pot. I don't want to subject it to the 40's again. Last time was the thirties when I thought it was dead. I can't believe how profusely it is blooming now.
I put it out on the deck, at least it won't be getting anything from overhead for a few days, I'm hoping it withstands 40's alright.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Will, the old one won't get cut off til the truck is in the shop. lol. I need this truck to be driveable. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hmmm Flowers ..
Here;s granny's mothers day
And a few residents

Raining Buckets here ,, cool later this week has me wondering .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Welcome back, ju! Pretty flowers. I gave my Mom (2) $20 gift cards to Taco Bell for Mother's Day, hey that's what she wanted..lol
I been raking leaves and potting up a few things that I see in the yard. Anybody want some Pin Oak seedlings or Virginia Creepers? I can get many of both, today I potted up 2 Pin Oak seedlings and 2 Virginia Creepers. I'm gathering up all my little pots, up to about the 1 gallon size for potting stuff up that I'm bringing to the Roundup. Also, to have pots ready for when I start doing cuttings in a bit.
I hope they have enuff time to root and get at least some little leaves before the Roundup, (if they take root).

Good luck with your truck, pepper, and you too Betty.

Anybody want some Purple Coneflowers? I've really been having success in the Fall with getting their seeds planted after the flowers dry up.
Will

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

We still don't have our car back. The shop keeps running into more problems. Too bad they can't give you the full story before tearing into it, so that you can say "Never mind, I'll just trade it in"! By now, you've already replaced so many parts and put out so much money that you feel like it's too late.

My piano got tuned today for free! My youngest daughter is cat sitting for someone in exchange. Now, I can tell when I play the wrong note. LOL Something to do during these cold rainy days.

It looks like Nicole will not be attending the Roundup because of the cat/house sitting job that doesn't end until 6/2. I know that she's disappointed, but this will be a good experience for her. The family is even leaving their car for her to drive! When I'm missing Nicole, I'll play my piano!

Carla, Chloe, & I are driving in Saturday morning now; instead of spending Friday night. We will show up at Bothwell Lodge about the same time as the rest, so keep me posted on what time most folks plan to arrive. That will give me more time to prepare the plants & cheesecake.

Well, I better cancel the reservations now before I forget!

Will, I'll take a pin oak. My dad might want it at my grandma's.

Awwww.. Betty is going to play her piano at the Roundup! I'll bring some change for the tip jar!
Seriously, I didn't know you played the piano, how cool.

Sure pepper, I got you down for a Pin Oak. I did alot of cuttings today with Miraclegro potting mix and rooting hormone, so wish me luck! I did around 5 purple Lilac cuttings, 2 Golden Euonymus cuttings, 5 or 6 Hall's Honeysuckle cuttings, 6 Forsythia cuttings and 3 cuttings of each of the English Ivies that I have. - I have yet to get some Chinese Wisteria cuttings.

I dug up the last 2 shade plants from the shade garden before I level that spot out and assemble a swimming pool there. They are 2 Ligularias 'Midnite Lady'. Here they are in the third pic when I got them from pepper and here they are today. - Those are the two Ligularias with the tags on them.
There is the green Spiderplant that I got from ju last year, in the front.

Canceling your motel reservations, green? I hope you leave room for a big Spiderplant.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks for earlier about the flowers and Your looking good there too!!!
I am glad something I sent to you finally grew , I was getting worried ,

Here's some today here .. raining buckets again , Been soil cubing flowers all day ,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Nice Irises, ju! I like your ac cord too! That Spiderplant from you has always been doing well.
It seems to have more spider-like, slender, foliage than my Spiders. That could just be how a young one looks. I snapped off a little truly variegated, baby, off a Spiderplant at Home Depot a while back, (I think it's been a couple of months). I've had it in water and it's still alive, It might be the only real variegated one I got if it makes it.

Also, all those flower seeds you sent me are by the fence outside, some of it has popped up.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Ha! Ha! I'm at the level of most children around age 9. I had lessons from Fall thru Spring at a local music store & was dumb enough to show up at my Spring recital to learn that I was the only adult student that came with all these parents, grand-parents, aunts & uncles video taping their kids! There I was sitting in a row with all these kids waiting for my turn. We were all very nervous. Unfortunately, one parent knew me from the PTA & approached me with her camcorder while I was playing. Afterwards, the music teacher told me that I was the only adult to ever show up for the recital; except for the woman who ran out in tears whom she never saw again! I even stayed around for cookies and refreshments afterwards. I am glad that MY family stayed at home. I do enjoy my piano no matter how amateur my playing. I would never ever play at a recital again! EVER!!!

Carla feels better about sleeping at home and getting up early to drive there and back the same day. At least, the plants won't have to sit in the car overnight.

My P. Bisettii Bamboo is trying to redeem itself, it has sent up about 20 shoots about 4 to 5 feet long each. pics 1 and 2

Would anybody like a Coleus 'Watermelon'? These 6 cuttings of them have already rooted. They will be delightful come Roundup time too, I am bringing them to the Roundup. That's them in the flat. pic #3

Pic #4 is over my newest tomato seed plantings, (recognize the pieces of paper ju?). That's them in the terracotta pots.

Anybody want some Prickly-Pear cuttings? They have rooted and overwintered right there in their little pots, so the're hardy like I expected. - One of the pads fell out recently, that's why the dirt on the ground.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

I'm sure your a fine piano player, green. That's part of being a piano player, you know, saying your not that good! Anybody who's also been commissioned to play for their church must be good.

I planted all those different varieties of tomato seeds you sent me, ju. It's a bit late to plant seeds but better late than never, plus I plan to get their seeds again in the Fall.

We are having our gutters cleaned by a bird! It has been looking for bugs in them and making a real mess of everything else, here's our porch, (that was after I swept it once..lol). - pic 1 And here is one of the birds, I believe it's a pair of Grackles doing it. - pic #2

I made 3 more Pin Oak seedlings for the Roundup. Anybody want one? - pic #3 I have 5 of them total, see them in the front? About half of them still had their acorn attached and I just left them. - pic #4

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Still looking good there Will, That is all right I had to restart some of my tomatoes also , late a few things this year , after 38 degrees tomorrow and Friday , I will be restarting a few more I am sure ,, ain't anything right ? goofy weather ,,
At least most of my peppers and tomatoes are still in pots . easy to bring in , still the weather is trying to aggravate me ..

pepper nice iris on the 10th of May post a while back .. pretty ..
This was a little over a week ago , larger now .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello all... We are back from Chicago. Had the most wonderful time too. Loved everything we did. Pretty tired tho. We had to come home to rest. Lol. But it did go by fast. I will put up pics when I have a minuet to load them in the computer.

Well, I'm now fighting either allergies or a small cold. It hit last night and I swear has killed a few brain cells. lol. Luckily it's not real bad, just a small area being affected. Allergy pills taken tonight so hopefully that takes care of it. Too busy right now to be knocked down. lol

Thanks ju, no tomatoes dying yet, and it has been getting cold here at nite lately. My tomatoes and peppers have a bit of an advantage there though, they aren't exposed overhead. They are safe and sound on the deck, now if the deck just doesn't collapse..lol I think the so and so's that built that deck used leftovers and charged us for good, new lumber. Yeah, it aggravates me too, I can't believe this, 36 degrees in the middle of May?!

Welcome back, GL. Did you go up the Willis Tower aka The Sears Tower? It's ironic that Sears is closing. I wonder how they afforded that hi-rise anyway? But anyway, Chicago is a cool city, I can see why people want to live there.

Probably allergies, pepper. I saw on the news where pollen is only a little past it's peak. We have 2 Oak trees in the yard and that pollin stuff is just everywhere. A friend neighbor's broke-down-but-nice-car was covered in the orangey pollin stuff, I went over there with soap and water and sponged it clean. It was funny, I was over there a couple weeks ago and he ran his finger over the paint on that car and says, "Is that what all this is"? I never lie you know, I told him it was from our trees just across the street..lol

I bet your brain cells come back! I want to see that movie about using 100% of the brain, it looks interesting. I'd be happy if I could start using 1% of mine!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes we did go up in the sears tower. We went on the box window too. Pretty cool. You get a full panaramic view and you can look down. Kinda scary.

I think it is allergies. I took Allegra last night and need to take it here pretty quick for tomorrow to help knock it out. Felt better as the day wore on today.

We got nipped by frost here this morning but luckily I covered everything that is planted and brought in the potted stuff.

That viewing platform your talking about GL must be something that was built since 2000. That would be neat. It is a great view of Lake Michigan and the city's view and everything. One time that I went, the clouds were so thick up there you couldn't see as much as usual. I liked it so much up there, I went twice! That was the first and only time I had been to Chicago. I remember thinking how awesome it was that the buildings were so tall. Walking downtown you have to almost break your neck to look up at the buildings!

I hope you guys like 3 gallon black nursery pots! I have a bunch of them from when I thought I was going to have a landscaping business a few years ago. I've always kept them in storage, most of them are new and unused. They will be in ribbons again like last time, they should make some useful gifts..lol Those are them next to the 5 Pin Oak seedlings, (on the table), that I made today.

So far I've made 10 Pin Oak seedlings for the Roundup, (I made 5 more today). I took a few pics of them, do they appeal to anybody? pics 1 thru 3 Pepper, are you sure you only want one? I'm bringing them all to the Roundup, there will be plenty of them. I can only find small first year ones, there aren't any older than that. Pin Oaks grow fast, they are in the Red Oak family, not the White Oak family like White or Bur Oaks, Pin Oaks don't grow slow like them. I put those 5 down with the other 5 Pin Oak seedlings that are in front there, (pic #3). Pretty soon, Mimosa seedlings should start popping up as well, anybody want a Mimosa tree?

Here is my raised bed on the deck, hope the veggies are warm enuff at nite! - pic #4

I hear good things about Benadryl too for allergies.
Will

This message was edited May 16, 2014 8:20 PM

I'll take whatever is leftover after everyone decides on the Pin Oaks. I know we can find room at my grandma's. No mimosas here. lol. My grandma has one already and it won't last too many years but I think she may save a seedling from it.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hello this evening to you all , I remember seeing the sears tower before it was completed fully .
American National City Maps a few blocks away . getting maps , for offices I was .
Hiding from everything , my plants today , inside ,
Saying even colder tonight than last night ,, boooo ,, that !!!

Setting things up , playing with weeds , setting for Butterflies , for me , for garden vegetables , and flowers ... I have all the parts and pieces to make about a 2ft. waterfall fountain ,, so away we go ! lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Ok, pepper.
Yeah Mimosa's wouldn't be my first or second or third pick either. They are short-lived, not native and they take up more room than a big tree because they spread out so low. Anyway that's why I don't like them much. Some people really like them, that's fine.

That would be something then, the Sears Tower was the world's tallest building for over 20 years. It just quit being the worlds tallest in 1996 or around there.

Is that a recent photo of a butterfly, ju?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes will this past week about , here's a pupae , stinging nettle it's Host plant ,, also my Green Tea , Have some False nettle started also (host plant) , it is poison to us so no tea but it does not sting either ! .
Butterflies cheer up the Garden ,,

Thumbnail by juhur7
Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Sorry to just pop in but after a long year of bad gardening bad hail and late late freezes last year, I'm finally nearing the end of this school year and getting back in the garden. Its the most wonderful time of year, bloom season! If anyone is ever splitting Iris, please let me know, I would love to trade or pay postage. I just joined an small iris club and I'm kind of the baby of the group, everyone else has been gardening for years and years.

Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis
Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

More exciting blooms, so excited! Its been two years since Spring blooms! Late late freezes and then 6 inches of hail at once took out my gardens last year.

Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis Thumbnail by mclowdis
Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

A few more:)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Very Nice , Nice Beds , and very pretty Blooms!!!^_^

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Glad that you popped in with the iris photos. Love all your colors.

Juhur, it took me a while to notice the pupae in your photo. Very nice.

Our car should be ready Mon. or Tue., so that probably means Wed. LOL It's so bad that I don't want to talk about it.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to go out into the yard & work. I've been kind of dragging today because I had to get up REAL early (borrowed other daughter Carla's car) to take Nicole to the Amtrak station to meet up with some old college pals & attend a friend's graduation. She was able to get a round trip ticket for $9.00. The gas driving there would have cost way more!

Hope that everyone is out enjoying this day. All my 14 rose bushes are blooming; among other flowers; such as hydrangeas & peonies. Even the blackberries are flowering. : )

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, gb I am sure your yard is looking lovely.... sure wish I could do roses. They are so pretty. I especially love yellow ones!! Looks like you all are getting ready for the round up sounds like so much fun. Hope you all have a huge blast.

I bought a rose yesterday at work that smelled so good I had to have it. lol. Louise Odifer. It's a pink rose which is not my favorite color but the fragrance makes up for it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.