May 2014 - Spring and flowers

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

So I thought that I posted here & see a double post on the roundup thread and part of the info. that I thought was posted here. I'm not sure what I did. So let me try this again.

GL, glad that you enjoyed your trip to Chicago and enjoyed yourself.

Off to the Amtrak Station to pickup Nicole. (I'm actually back now.)

Pepper, I love old garden roses and had thought about getting that one too. I have a rose book with 100 most popular old garden roses and a full color page photo of each variety; along with a full page providing facts and info. of growing each rose. The Louise Odier rose is in this book. The roses that I've always wanted are hybrid musk roses by breeder Rev. Joseph Hardwick Pemberton; especially the ones with ornamental hips. A link to his bio:

http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=7.6039

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh, gb that sounds so wonderful. Love roses.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I got a bunch of stuff planted finally today. Most are in temporary spots til the siding is replaced but are in the ground. Bad news is it looks like my dogwood may be dead. I may have to get a different tree to put there because it's almost full sun.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Nice Irises, mclowdis. I bet the Garden Club will be proud to have you.
I love Roses too, the one happ gave me 3 years ago is going to put on a nice show. I noticed that one bud has already opened up about halfway to a flower.
I potted up another Pin Oak out of the yard tonite. - pic #1 I make sure to get all the roots and that the taproot hasn't been unsheathed even, because sometimes I can pull them right out of the ground roots and all. Hehe, if anybody wants a Pin Oak seedling just come to the Roundup!

A couple months ago I scooped up the collapsed pumpkins from Halloween. I put them in buckets rather than have pumpkin sprouts in the places where we just set the pumpkins last Fall.
Anyway, quite a few have sprouted and we intend to have kitty-litter jugs full of pumpkins! I'll find a better place for them in the yard and I'll get them planted, of course they can't stay in the jugs.
pic #2

Louise Odifer?! Odiferous is a shortened version of "Odoriferous", meaning very fragrant. - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/odiferous I'm not trying to be a smartypants, it's just funny is all..lol
I have one Dogwood in a pot, and thankfully, it made it thru the Winter. I had it buried a little in mulch though.

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Sorry about your dogwood Pepper. Didn't you just plant that last year?

My pole beans are germinating at a fantastic rate! The cucumbers -- not so good. Maybe the ground is still too cool and damp for them to germinate. The soil temp yesterday was around 62 F and the ground is very wet. I only planted a short row as a trial. The tomatoes have been in the ground for a week and all have survived. I'm still holding off on setting out the peppers and eggplants. This has been an unusually cool May so far going by the soil temps.

I planted it 2 years ago but it got more sun than I anciticpated and I think it burned up. Plus it's in the middle of my coneflower bed and had to fight all those. I'm gonna look and see what I have at work that could handle the sun and still be smaller. I'm thinking Forest Pansy Redbud or Purple Leafed Plum maybe.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, I believe that Louise Odier looks something like my "Comte de Chombard" rose that I bought at Home Depot a few years ago bare-root on clearance. Here's one of my favorite pics of this rose taken 2 years ago. What do you think? It's a Portland Rose and blooms all summer. I know that I've posted this pic in the past. It's covered with buds right now.

Thumbnail by greenbrain
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Ya pepper Don't forget the Japanese Apricot, Blooms and food too ,, You might like?

Planting sprouts trying to keep from spinning my wheels .

A tray of zinnia seeds being sprouted , last one , I must have 5 to 800 zinnia planted already .
A few blooms ,,
All here looks interesting and nice as always ,, Dogwood is definitely for heavy shade or the forest ,,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I really like purple leafed plum trees. I almost bought one several years back, but planted a Japanese maple instead. Well, it was nice while it lasted. I should have planted the purple leafed plum. That sounds like a good replacement.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oops and Pretty Roses GB !!!
the pics
#3 Organic Vole Guard taking a break .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Juhur, you sprout the seeds and place the sprouts in the ground? I've never heard of this before, but sounds like a great idea if it works.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

One Fall was especially damp and my Comte de Chombard rosebuds did something called "balling". They looked awful and I was so disappointed. No pics of that ugly mess!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

yes , and barring critters it works .. One nice thing , the Sprouts are actually about 20 degrees stronger or cold resistant than the 4 inch plants ,,
Weather being warm , cold , and playing games , well when it stay warm for four or five days to give early sprouts a chance it has worked out Great !
Watermelons I did not pre -sprout took a 37 degrees , and a couple more sprouted outside at that temperature (i have never heard of such a thing before seeing it ..
Salvia and Zinnia got a week outside at mid 40 night temperatures with a few warmer nights and took the temperature down to about 34 degrees
Their well , unburned , and growing good ..

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

The rumors are not true I have not fallen off the flat planet earth!

Just been way way busy. But finally got the mg plant sale done. I have never worked all of it before since I was 'working' it sounds so easy but it is something else.

Hope everyone kept their plants safe from the frost. We sold alot of tomatoes to replace all that were frozen out!

I put up my hummingbird feeder and no more walked away than I had an oriole show up. So I have an oriole feeder that you hook a jar of jelly on, and now I have two males who are fighting over it.. They are beautiful. I love their song.

Getting ready to go mow. I am so far behind. None of the gardens are weeded, mulched or anything. I have the mg's coming later in June.

Geehz it has been so windy up here!

Glad you had a great trip to chicago and didn't get snowed on...LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I haven't fallen off the planet either, LOL!

I read and had so many comments and no time to type them all out.

It has been busy busy here. I'm still planting garden, LOL! I am waiting for the potatoes to dry on the cut edges. I have some of the holes dug and dirt mixed for them. I also have a few flowers to set out if it doesn't rain. Been weeding as usual. Spent Saturday afternoon with the Grandkids, came home and planted onions, and now need to mow again.

We tore down the old tile ceiling, put up plastic as extra insulation, plugged a few mouse runs and have the new tile on back order. The room is half put back together.

I canned rhubarb and froze asparagus. Neither is growing well in the garden. Both have many spindly stalks. I guess the cold spring really messed things up.

My young apple tree had half of it not leafing out. Yesterday we noticed half of that is leafing out but the rest looks dead. I fear the weather is just going to get more erratic :o(

Have a great day in spite of all the problems.

These are plants that were at our sale and we would like to swap them for outdoor plants, ex: daylilies, hostas, anything like that we can overwinter outside for our plant sale nexxt year.

Any of you close so I can meet up or if you are going to be at the ru, I have banana tree (2), some oleander, elephant ears and some squill, and a couple of white brugs. I will post pics later. Most of these plants are small except the banana trees are starting to leaf out.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow happ and billy you have been busy. Spring is that way as we all know. Attention to the yard. Haha.

I can check on my daylilies and see what I can divide. It just means fighting weeds in a spot that makes me think snakes are gonna jump out and get me. I'm that way when I get down by the garden shed too. lol. Irrational but I'm still cautious. lol

I don't have any hostas big enough to divide. I can dig up some varigated soloman's seal though. I need to make a list. lol. I have time this week to dig so gonna do that while I have the early hours at work.

Pep, we are open to about anything, we just can't overwinter tropicals. Varigated soloman seal sounds nice. So if I have anything anyone wants let me know and we can swap.

Maybe at our sale we should stop listing them as tropicals and just say they are annuals. Tropical plants seem to freak people out...odd. But these are 'normal' people not like us.

I have got to go to the cemeteries and mow. Tomorrow is going to be too hot, so hopefully Wednesday it will be cool enough in the morning.

What a beautiful evening.

I managed to split a new Earth Angel hosta I just bought so you will have that plus a couple of hostas that are old enough and big enough I can get a couple of those.

I am getting one small clump dug up and potted of all my non ditch lilies for you too. I got two of them today and will do more tomorrow. They are named but I lost names long ago. lol. They came from Powell Gardens.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow pepper you are busy once again. Happ you also. Mowing at the cemetary? Interesting.

I'm busy tearing up vehicles. lol. I am driving my dad's big truck til my truck gets done tomorrow but I somehow messed up the ignition or steering column. I accidently used my key to try and start it earlier to roll up windows and it wouldn't work. Finally figured out my mistake and switched to right key. Now the whole dang thing is locked up. Windows are now covered in trash bags. lol. I now have to drive my mom's car to work tomorrow while my dad takes her in. I then go back to pick her up when she gets off. Hopefully all vehicles are working by then!! lol

I tried to pull apart some sprouts from a Hosta 'Patriot' that I recently got. I'm not sure if they'll be alright, they kinda popped and made a breaking sound. They look good in the pic but I don't expect them to look that good tomorrow, (the 2 on the left). If they make it alright, I'll bring them also to the RU.

Did you divide yours with a knife, pepper?

The dark red rose from happ is looking real nice. The white 'Royal America' rose vine across from it isn't as hardy I found out. It didn't start growing from the ends like the dark red one did, I'll need to put another rose vine there eventually. You can barely see the big white/yellow flower bud on it coming in, (across from the red one). It has a nice big flower, I wish it was more hardy.

This message was edited May 20, 2014 9:17 PM

Wow Will I am impressed with that red rose this year almost all of those noncare roses died back to the ground. I have been cutting out all the dead stuff in the cities section.

So pep which tropicals do. U want? Don't know about u and cars tho...loll

My grand and great grandparents are buried in an old fashioned cemetery which is in a farmers field. The farmer doesn't take care of it so I mow before decoration day. After the crops grow I cant get to the cemetery.

Billy P you are catching yourself coming and going. Wow.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, here I go again, LOL!

It's been non-stop busy here. I am behind, but see progress. Now the gnats have arrived and I'm not ready with the vanilla. It's on the grocery list!

Sunday, I set out all my yard ornaments. That's always fun :o) I had DH take pictures of my hair, so now I need to get it cut. I'll keep a 4'' ponytail and Locks of Love get the rest.

Monday, DH decided to mow for me, so I planted 26 potatoes and hope to get three times as many from them. I got my onions planted too, so now the planting is over.

Yesterday we ran to DD's so DH could run her in to get their truck. They had a tire worked on. I stayed at the house and played with the twins. We came home to a beautiful day! I ran to Dad's after dinner, but he had already planted his potatoes. I was going to help :o)

I came home and weeded!

Last night I woke at 1:30 am to a lot of lightning so I went out to put the new chairs in the garage. To the North earlier they were having severe T-storms. I think we had a pass over rain before that because the chairs were a little wet. Thankfully we had gone ahead and watered the garden yestrerday.

I hear the oriole singing so they haven't decided who's yard to build their nest in yet :o)

It's going to be a beautiful day and I'm going to hang clothes and weed!

Thumbnail by billyporter Thumbnail by billyporter

Wow that is a geat thing to do with ur hair.

I am being lazy billy p. i am enjoying my garden. Sitting on my glider looking out over the flowers and when the wind blows i can smell the lilacs. Dh is napping on the garden swing on the porch and every once in awhile the oriole will get jelly out of the feeder right in front of me. Perfect day.

Got my truck back. Acted up at first then smoothed out. Gonna have to watch it and see if it does it again. If so I'm taking it back to see if we can figure out what this current one is.

Bigger problem is how we get the other truck to the shop with the steering wheel locked up. I'm not sure how we can even load it on a trailer. We prefer not to call tow because it's only about 2 miles or so to the guy we go to. lol

Will, I had separate plants in the pot. So I just pulled the smaller one away without cutting or anything. I will do the same with the others.

Only tropicals I can have is easy care and not fussy. lol. And be able to fit on a small table in front of a window crowded with other plants. lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

BP, we've done that too; me and my daughters. Anymore, I can't stand to let my hair grown that long. We all have real thick hair and it just becomes too heavy. Someone is going to be glad that you grew your hair to donate.

We just had a nice rain shower and now the sky is getting bright again. My Sunny Knockout and Pink Double Knockout rose bushes are so full and covered in blooms. I never thought that I would like the Knockout roses, but they kind of grow on you.

I have been wanting another lilac bush ever since my Meyer lilac succumbed to the summer drought/heat wave a few years ago. I also lost my Artic Fire red twig dogwood shrub that summer. However, the spots have already been filled with other plants that have adapted well.

We finally got our car back today. Time to prepare dinner. I'm starving!

I swung by work today to get some more plants for me and found a rose bush that a coworker had put aside and bought. It was called Love and is stunning!! Smells great too!! Bad thing is we sold out of that one. lol. It's a nonpatented rose on sale for $5. I want it baad. lol

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Well go getmit then pepper. Lol. I am upset neither my silverlace vjne or either of my honeysuckles made it thru the winter. So sad. I guess I will be needing a couple new one. The silverlace vines are so cool. In the autumn they get a small white flower on them and they look neat. But I really have to be diligent and snip them off keep them trimmed out. My honeysuckle will really be missed by use. I love the scent of them....

I have to be diligent with my lamium. Last year I noticed it was everywhere all of a sudden. Now I pinch the blooms. I miss seeing the blooms but I'm trying to keep at least mine under control.

I love vining honeysuckle. Hate the bush ones. lol. Love the look of the silver lace vine too!!

The Hall's Honeysuckle is almost in full white bloom, it does smell heavenly. I'll have plenty of them at the Roundup, the cuttings look like they're gonna take.
I just noticed tonite that I have seedlings of Persimmon trees coming up! Last Fall, I put a bunch of old Persimmon fruits in a medium sized pot. To my pleasant surprise, it appears they're coming up! In a few days I'll pot some up to bring to the RU. I know they're the Persimmons because it's an epigeal seed growth. I know what the seeds look like and they are at the top of the seedlings for a few days. That dark red rose vine from happ is a stunner! -

I see, pepper, that's similar to how I did the 'Patriot' Hostas that I'm bringing to the RU.
It must work because they look much better than I thought they would for my first try at dividing Hostas.

Lucky Locks Of Love, bp!

Well, at least my downward spiral (financial) has stalled! Maybe I'll be a truck driver!
My friend and I leave tomorrow on a roadtrip, we have a housesitter so my plants will get watered. We're going to see a former state prison that was built in 1836!

Where'd ju go? It's quite a drive from Indiana, but we'd love to see you at the RU, ju!
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh I 'm here , More lurking than anything ,,
Planted about a dozen sprout today , and refitted a carburetor for the lawn mower .
Buy the time I got done getting gaskets ,cleaning , and sealing , I was what was out of Gas .
Glad things are moving along for most of you ,
Sorry for the plants losses a couple of you have had ,

Seems like better financial times are always being sought after ...Scary stuff sometimes ...

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

That is a black iris, ju! I forgot the name of it but perhaps that's that black iris bulb they sell at Lowes or Homedepot? The only iris I have is the blue flag iris. It's pretty, I got it from Imames at the Fall 2009 Roundup.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Their name are Midnight, Midnight oil , several in that category .
These were from a Major Hybridizer at the east coast national awards ..

These were from the Third place throw away lot , The hybridizer took second in one contest , and first in another , and this one was a throw away from their lot to make room for the crosses of the second and first place winners .
It was a second in one and a third place in two contests though ..
Got a half a dozen of them , from an under the table give away ,,, An early 2,000 parent plant of one of the above names Granny loves them ,,,I would say Granny loves them to Death .. lol but that is little grim ,, but fitting for a funeral color of flower ..
Yes a really long drive ,, not that it would not be worth it ,, only too far for me ,,
Have a niece in college in St, Louis ,, hmmmm ..
I'm glad anything is Blooming though , wow what a past season .. glad it is gone ,!!!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Maybe the next Roundup could be more centrally located to make it easier for Ju, BP, & GL to attend. Once we get through this RU, we can look at planning the next one.

Will, you have some pretty blooms there on that rose. I am still looking for a BRIGHT red rose..lol. Just don't care for the dark color red.

Those are pretty flowers JU, I have an iris close to your purple and white. Since I live by an iris farm I buy lots of iris..rofl. Bad deal to have a plant addict by a farm of plants.

Is the lace vine like a sweet autumn clematis? Sweet autumn clematis blooms in the late summer and early fall, and smells. Everyone likes it but me I am not wild about the smell, but it really grows and really blooms.

My peonies, iris, and lilac is in bloom and the lilac is amazing smelling. Wish it bloomed all summer. I have a honeysuckle but I forget what kind it is. It is getting ready to bloom so I will know soon.

I got tomatoes planted but so far that is it as far a vegtables go.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Happ , Conjuration and Amaryllis are the next to bloom only two I am sure of the names of ..
Yes indeed all of your plants here are always nice and pretty .

Vegetables Pumpkin , Kale , lettuce, Onion , beets ,Watermelon Cucumber, beans , everything except the Tomato plants are planted , well carrots sometime also .

Eek, I see Ju, sorry about that, yours there is probably more black than the one I'm thinking about.

Dang happ! I was hoping you'd love the blooms and regret giving it to me! Then, I could say something like, "sorry, it's mine now!" Lol.. just kidding but we love it here! They musta continued the Iris tradition at that iris farm up there by you, happ. The old one sold didn't it?

No iris farm didn't sell. Maybe u r thinking of the peony farm?

Lol Will sorry it is a great rose but still don't like the Color. Lol I am glad u all like it.

Nu not sure what veggies to plant. Cantalope for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.