May 2014 - Spring and flowers

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Thank you ladie for the compliments on my iris, I seem to go through a different plant obsession every year from roses to daylilies, to peonies, to iris. I wonder what my next obsession will be?
I love the pictures of the roses! Juhur, I love the black iris and what a unique story to go with it. I hate plants being thrown away. I get upset when I see stores throwing out living plants.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Happ, no the silverlace vine is a different vine. It gets very small flowers on it in the autumn. Like the sweet autumn clematis does.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I thought they were different vines.

Mclowd, you should come visit me I have a huge iris farm just down the road.
http://comancheacresiris.com/
15 acres of iris....rofl...that might keep you busy.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh I love irises. I am trying some in my front yard again. Will see if they bloom. Really do not have much luck with them. Sad.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

happygarden, I would love to come visit and see that, sounds amazing, but for me it isn't just down the road, I live in the far southwest corner of the state so its about a 6-7 hour drive:( There is nothing like that nearby here. I have thought about trying to get a community one started up or trying to start an iris farm so people can see but all our land is wheat and hubby isn't willing to switch;)

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Got my 'Love' rose today!! It's not the same as what one of my friends nabbed even though it has same label. I think her's is actually fourth of july. But this one is still pretty cool. I bought one for my former department boss too because he wanted one also. lol. I went behind his back on that. lol

Love: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62245/

Fourth of July: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64295/

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Pepper, you're a great organizer. Thanks for your part in making next week's RU happen. I just wish that it was convenient for all interested to attend. Maybe we could rotate on locations and who is hosting. Just a thought. If anyone is ever interested in attending a RU in my neck of the woods, I can help pull that one together. With possible gathering sites as Horseshoe Lake State Park and Cahokia Mounds. I also have a family membership at Mo. Botanical Gardens that allows me quite a few free guests. Anybody else interested in hosting in your neck of the woods? I don't mind traveling a bit.

Also, I noticed a new subscriber in my area that I'm going to invite to join us on this forum. I plan to pay more attention to the new subscriber list. Does anyone else do this?

With the warm temps settling in, I'll be planting the rest of my warm season crops this weekend. Happy Memorial Day weekend. The RU is just one week from today!

I'm up for rotating around also. It's great to get out to new areas!!

Tomorrow if it's not raining I'm gonna be digging up a whole bed of irises to bring to the RU. We're replacing them with Ninebark 'Summer Wine'. I got 3, 3 gallon bushes for 10 bucks on clearance because they weren't as full and bushy as the others. lol. Gotta finish digging up other stuff this week too!!

Well I went to home depot today and bought some of the 3 for 10 perennials and some succulants, oh and an old fashioned snowball bush. When I was about 7 my GAunt had a snowball bush and she would bury a piece of iron next to it and change the color, guess you never know how you impress kids but that has stuck with me my whole life. Now I am going to do it finally.

Went to the 'normal' cemeteries and they are starting to be very pretty all decorated.

Pepper I found a tshirt at Kohls you need to get for your Dad. Immediately thought of you..LOL
"If It's Broke Dad Can Fix It" Tee shirt and has a truck on the front...rofl. I saw it in the store but they have it online in mens and big and tall.
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1776236/newport-blue-if-it39s-broke-dad-can-fix-it-tee-men.jsp

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Lol good fun and moods here ,,

The iris in bloom , The clematis is back lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

LOL. It would be perfect for him except he refuses to wear shirts with screen prints on them. Plain tshirts or nice button up shirts and that's it.

I have some black irises but they didn't bloom this year. Only Auora Light, or something along those lines bloomed and some old fashioned ones. The rest didn't do much this year.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Clematis, Beautiful! I've been trying to get some to take hold and grow for the last three years, I think its a failure for my yard but I can look from affar!

This message was edited May 27, 2014 9:57 PM

Dag Nabit! Lost my post.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Mine just posted with one word the first time I posted.

Had problems off and on today. Figured it was just me...LOL

Pretty pretty flowerrs. I have several clematis some that do great and others that, are ok. Right now you can't see them because of the weeds... ;(

Tomorrow I have to get plants ready for the swap and then maybe I can get around to weeding. I need to get with it. MG's are coming the 3rd Monday in June and time is flying by.

This has been an insane week here for me. lol. We finally got answers on my truck. Last time any motor work was done the mechanic put a new spark plug wire on. Turns out it was for a Chevy and not a Ford. That is what has been the problem for the most part. We got a used wire put on so it's now driveable til my dad replaces them tomorrow.

Now here comes more bad news. lol. My mom's car decided to act up today. We were in the city shopping and when we went to leave it wouldn't run then decided to flat out not start. Took a few tries to get it going but she finally got it going and we high tailed it home. It should be going to the shop tomorrow. So now she has to drive my truck tomorrow til we find out the issues with hers. If it's not one vehicle it's another.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Car and vehicle trouble (Good Old Days )
At least when you had to shoot the horse , You got ivory paper weight hooves ,and meat to freeze or dry !
Today you get a Rusty , Oily , Greasy , mess of a pile .

(the good old Days ) lol

The Hideout ;

Thumbnail by juhur7
suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Sure, I'm all for traveling somewhere to another meeting place too someday, that's a great idea.

Here is my Hall's Honeysuckle, it's the parent plant that I'm bringing some cuttings of to the Roundup. pic #1 I have pics of one of the cuttings off it also, it's coming along swimmingly as is are the other cuttings of it. - pic #2 Btw, that's a regular purple Lilac cutting behind it in that bag, it's also coming along well. Here's some of the other cuttings, alot of them are also doing well. - pic #3

Here is that dark red rose vine from happ, it is blooming quite heavy! It has that white rose vine across from it outnumbered pretty good on roses, about 200 to 2..lol
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf

Sorry to hear about the vehicle woes pepper. If your friend and you need a ride to the RU just let me know. I can pull my trailer behind my car easy.

This Hall's Honeysuckle cutting even is flowering! -

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Wow !!! Someone's been busy with their plant plans ,, pretty there Will I don't have anything to pic here that compares with that Rose ,, A showy friend isn't it ?

Thanks ju! Wow is what I say too. It's not even like I put Miraclegro or fertilizer or anything on those roses ever. Heck, I don't even water them, they're too far away. They must like something there, I don't know what, maybe it's all the full sun?! It is indeed a showboat, Jackson and Perkins would be proud! The Hall's Honeysuckle is also in full sun and it's blooming like crazy too. Boy can I ever smell it, it is fragrant like 50 feet away.

Will I have a peaches and cream honeysuckle. It isn't very big yet. Do you just clip it and stick it in dirt?

I went around today collecting plants up. Some are shade and some are sun.
Right now I know:
Hostas
Mini hosta
Variety of succulants in a small pot
Daylilies
Variegated oat grass
Persimmon tree small
A variety of tropicals I will list later.

Wow, a Peaches and Cream Honeysuckle, I'd try to start the snot out of that.
From trying that (sticking cuttings in dirt) they rarely take that way. I'd try layering and/or cuttings like they say, to the letter. I used to try things like that my own way but I've gotten MUCH better results when following instructions on how to do it. I Binged the question of Honeysuckle propagation and this came up. - http://www.ndsu.edu/pubweb/chiwonlee/plsc368/student/papers03/pmurdock/propagationofhoneysucklevine.htm From what I've gathered, seeds (for ex. of a Peaches and Cream) will not produce that nice variety that you have. Cuttings or layering will produce the same plant.

Layering sounds complicated but it's just bending a branch down of your parent plant under some dirt until it "roots". I would say that after a few weeks of bended down like that and passing that "tug" test you just snip it away from the parent plant and you have a duplicate of the parent.

I'm inspired by a guy in the shady gardens forum that has so much moss in his yard. I want to do just that in the front yard! I have big plans now, I'm gonna try propagating a ton of stuff and I plan on having a mossy front yard!

That's quite a list there happ. I'm bringing 2 items from that list to the Roundup Saturday. Some little 'Patriot' Hostas that I hopefully successfully divided from the big one and some little Persimmon trees.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2014 12:59 PM

My truck runs pretty decent with the temp wire on it. lol. I'm good on vehicles right now and driving my truck. In fact I need to clean my windshield on inside before I leave for water class tonight. Abbie made a mess on passenger side with her nose and tounge. lol.

Happ, I dug up some hostas and dayliles for you for you MG sale next year. I don't know the names of the dayliles but they are nice ones. Came from PG.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh the roundupsoun ds like so much fun. I had to clip away almost all my honeysuckle today. Almost all dead. Have to replace my silverlace vines too. So sad.

Thanks Pepper, hope I have some stuff you want. I will pick up the rest of the plants tomorrow from the mg's. We have had 3 nice rains but they stopped my day pretty early, but I needed the rain. Had to turn on the air it was so HOT and Humid after the first rain. The sun came out and felt like a jungle. We didn't get anything yesterday.

Looking forward to Saturday,

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm home today and getting ready to start digging and potting blackberry plants, etc... Then to the store for supplies to make the desserts. I slept well last night and feel pretty rested waking before my alarm went off.

Something that happened at Chloe's school Tuesday may put a damper on our fun tomorrow. Without Carla's knowledge, Chloe was allowed to play outside at school in the hot sun for hours on Tuesday without any sunscreen or hat and in a very short sleeved shirt. Now the poor kid has 2nd degree sunburn. Carla was shocked when she picked Chloe up from school. The next day Chloe's school nurse was upset with Carla and quickly tells the nurse that this didn't happen on her watch, but at the school the day before without Carla's knowledge. The nurse shut up pretty quickly. It seems that Chloe has been in a substitute teacher's care since her teacher went out on maternity leave in March. Nicole remembers vividly suffering a fractured leg under a substitute teacher's watch in Kindergarten. She wore a cast for months and had physical therapy for a year because she walked with a limp. I'm not putting down substitute teachers, but it appears some lack experience that develops good judgment when it comes to child safety. Anyway, Chloe will not be herself tomorrow, so please bear with us as we try to keep her out of the sun. I haven't seen Chloe yet, but Carla says that she has blisters on her forehead. Also, her arms are so burned that Chloe has to get her insulin shots in her stomach. At least, we won't have to explain the ordeal when arriving tomorrow.

Well, JoJo is jumping on me wanting to go outside, so I'd better get off here and get busy.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I'm inside cooling off and resting a bit after potting up 9 blackberry vines. This went very well and I believe that with the proper care they should take off once planted. One came up in the middle of one of my cucumber beds. With the blackberry vine out of the way, I can plant the rest of the cukes today.

Next the herbs will be potted. I have some of those that grew in the wrong place, so I just left them for this occasion. I haven't forgotten the Star of Bethlehems which are actually bulbs.

I'm also bringing some of my garlic plants that need thinned out. I received this garlic mail order some years back and it does very well if you give it a dose of regular flower bulb fertilizer. When I harvest the garlic bulbs, I replant some and put the others in the frig for cooking. They keep well all year in the frig. Some start to sprout by Spring, so I just set them back out.

The Nanking cherries are ripening, so I've been snacking on them while outside. The robins like them too. Even JoJo was caught eating from the lower branches, silly puppy! LOL

My hydrangeas are flowering beautifully and so are the hollyhocks that I planted last summer. I'll have to get some pics to post after the RU. The Fairy rose bushes are also blooming now. The volunteer spiderworts have formed a very attractive thicket in the space between the alley and fence, and compliment the roses on the other side.

I still need to get those woody cuttings and hope the recipient is more confident than me about caring for them as I've never tried this before. When it comes to woody cuttings, I'm like the attached pic. LOL

Well, I've got to get finished up with the plants since I have desserts that I'm excited about baking!

Thumbnail by greenbrain

GB that is horrible. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know she would burn like a crispy critter! horrible. Just being in the heat makes a sunburn worse I think, let alone blisters ;(
Poor thing. My Mom use to put vinegar on us, I don't know if it worked but it was cool feeling and smelled so bad ...rofl maybe we forgot about the burn. We were like big pickless walking around.

Well pickedup all the plants from the mg's and heavens might not be room for me. Odd selection of plants.
Threw in a few odd tomato plants if any one wants to try them.
Eggs are boiled and I will make them tonight.

Hot and humid but gotta go play.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow gb. I agree poor little girl! How painful that must be for her. We all have been burnt I am sure. Man once I was so burnt my legs swelled up so awful.... I always like to use some banana boat that works pretty good. Or some cold cream feels good too. But I am sure there are lots of items out there now days. Have fun at the round up!!! Is it saturday? Sounds like its getting close.

Yep, it's tomorrow!!

Green, We'll keep her out of the sun as much as possible. If it clouds up we and she's up to it we can take advantage of the cloud cover so she can tour the grounds some.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Have a great time all. Post lots of pictures.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pepper. Chloe can use my umbrella to walk around in the sun.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Yes poor girl. I hope all keeps her safe. I know you did.

Had a GREAT time at the RU. It was a beautiful location, with a wonderful shelter house, and a nice grill, the shelter house faced an amazing beautiful rose garden. Glad we had a shelter house because we had a pop up shower but it was fun and not a problem at all. It was so nice to see 'old' friends and meet 'new' friends. We had a ton of plants and we all went home with a ton. I probably beat everyone home and I am sure they are as tired as I am...LOL

I will post some pics.

Some pics. Everyone tells me dg will downsize my pics automatically. I hope so or these will be really BIG.

By the time all the plants were unloaded we only had 3 empty picnic tables! rofl.

Thank you all for a great time.

This message was edited May 31, 2014 7:44 PM

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

I know you beat everyone home. lol. We were too busy drooling over Bothwell when we made a pit stop there. I made it home a bit after 7pm. I felt like I was speeding today even though I was barely going the speed limit most of the time. Not used to my truck running good like this. lol

Will, shade garden ideas!! Ostrich ferns along the fence, columbines- the native ones, and Empress Wu hosta. lol

Good to hear you are home and safe. I bet it was a beautiful place. Hope you all had a fun time. I really enjoyed all of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.