Tryon Palace in New Bern, NC

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Although I live in New Bern and attend the semi-annual plant sales at Tryon Palace, it's been a few years since I bought a ticket, toured through the palace and adjacent homes, and saw the gardens in-depth. There are no photos allowed inside the buildings, but the gardens are very beautiful, even if now is the time between tulips and the summer blooms. June 1 is a free garden day, with a symphony concert on the lawn in the evening.

Thumbnail by Entlie Thumbnail by Entlie Thumbnail by Entlie Thumbnail by Entlie Thumbnail by Entlie
(Zone 9a)

Sigh, I LOVE peonies. Drooling on the keyboard here and how about those figs, no fruit on mine yet.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Mine either. I have four fig trees, one big, two small and one medium. One of the small ones has black ends on the end of the branches, and no leaves (until yesterday, that is, when a green leaf sprouted at the base of the trunk). Maybe there's hope. Hope it was the cold winter and not some bug.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

PS - the figs are esplaiered against a brick wall. I think the heat really helps.

(Zone 9a)

Yes, that would explain it. (Well, that and a few skilled gardeners, LOL)

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

And copious amounts of the right fertilizer?

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

Entlie,

Glad to hear your figs are just starting. Mine still look dead but we are a zone colder so I am holding out hope if yours came back mine aren't too far behind!!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Glad I read this thread! My fig is espaliered against my back fence and one limb needed to be trimmed off.
I went to Tryon with my Mom many years ago. I really need to get back up there!
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Beach Barbie, if you come this way, let me know!
Lynn

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Entlie, I am in love with your little town. I have heard many people say that it is a wonderful place, but had never seen pictures until now. I was curious what Tyron Palace was when I saw the post and have now spent 3 hours just seaching the internet for pictures of it and of your beautiful and incredibly interesting town.

Once I move I plan on visit your little town. Thank you so much opening my eyes..

Casey

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Casey, let me know when you plan to visit and perhaps we can meet up!

Lynn

Lynn, I will do that. Have you lived there all your life????

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Casey, no, just since 2004. I really like it here.

Lynn

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

And maybe I can come also.
Been way too long since I saw you Entlie.

Lavina

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

That would be wonderful, Lavina!

I love meeting new people.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

...and Lavina and I are both charming :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images