Anyone try growing blueberries in zone 10?

Oakland Park, FL(Zone 10b)

I would love to try growing some blueberries down here, but am suspect of the plants claiming hardiness in zone 10. Some of the varieties I'm considering include Sunshine blue blueberry bush, Sharpblue blueberry bush, and Mist blue blueberry bush. I found these varieties at a website called backyard berry plants. Considering we pretty much have nonexistent winters down here is my concern.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

To be sure you could check with your local extension agent. They surely would know.

Davie, FL(Zone 10b)

i bought one from my local walmart...& it was doing fine...i even had a berry from it...but then i accidentally forgot about it...it survived for long while but then died (lack of water + creatures eating it)...i plan to try again...this time i'll put it somewhere i'll see everyday

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I bought a native blueberry bush at a local plant sale in 2012, it looks nice and healthy but has not produced berries. I asked last year at the native plant booth and the gal told me it can take them two years before they actually produce fruit, and April and May are the months they produce berries. I'm hoping mine does this year.
I'm not sure exactly what kind mine is, I think the guy said Huckleberry. Mine gets good afternoon sun, and does well in cold snaps, they never seem to bother it at all. It has tiny leaves and doesn't look like the ones they sell in the garden centers here.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Sherri,
Sounds like you have a huckleberry plant and not a blueberry. Huckleberry plants are low and berries are much smaller than blueberries. In Conn. where I came from we used to have some growing wild up in our woods. I hope you get some berries on them.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Maybe it it, but if it doesn't get fruit next year, I'm yanking it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.