Clematis ID

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I have had this clematis for a long time. I just cannot remember what its name is. It is the first clematis to bloom by about 5 days. HF Young started blooming today. It is under a dogwood tree so is pretty much in shade.

The first picture is a completely open bloom. The second picture is a bloom that hasn't completely opened. Cameras don't always reflect the correct color. The color is a light red-violet and the centers (stamens?) are an off white--sort of a grey white.

I have an idea what it is from my own research, but I would like for you to tell me what you think it is.

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm stumped.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I don't feel so bad not being able to ID this clematis. I have tried for years to figure out its name. I bought two clematis at the same time from a reputable garden center. I lost the id tags. I chose them because the description said the blooms were "red". When they bloomed, neither one of them looked "red" to me. They both were red-violet.

One of the clematis I purchased I have identified as Ernest Markham. It is in full sun. It blooms after the one pictured above. Right now, it has colored buds.

The unidentified clematis is in full shade. It's a wonder it even blooms but does so faithfully every year.

I think this Clematis is Asao. Here's why:
1. The petals are pointy.
2. It has a slight white bar on the petals which could possible be more noticeable if it were in more sunlight.
3. The blooms are quite large.
4. Some of the pictures of Asao are red-violet while others are more pink. I believe that can depend on the soil nutrient content, the camera light and for me, the fact it is in shade.
5. I have read a couple of times that Asao is a first bloomer in the Group 2 clematis. This is my first bloomer.
6. This clematis has had no help in surviving. I believe the Asao is a good stong grower.
7. I bought this clematis somewhere around 1999-2000. This clematis came on the market in 1997. So, it was probably out there for sale at that time.
8. And last, it is blooming in full shade. Asao description says it prefers or at least can bloom in part shade.

This is a very pretty clematis and I think I need to move it to a more visibly appreciative location.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd definitely move it so you can appreciate the beauty of the true colors in sunshine.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32248/
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/71588/Clematis-Clematis-Asao/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.