Prayers for my cat, please!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

He panics when there are loud noises and he took off during a thunderstorm last Wednesday. No sign of him since. I would appreciate any and all prayer for his safety and return. He's my baby.

THANK YOU!!!

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh no! How awful, the poor baby. I hope he makes his way home soon and puts your mind at ease.
I will be praying that he is safe.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you and bless you, Catbird. That's very much appreciated.

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hoping that he is exploring a bit and that he will return home as soon as he decides it is safe. I am sure he is missing you too and is wondering if you also heard that monstrous loud noise. He sure is a handsome fella.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Rosie. ♥ He is such a joy! I think he is the favorite of all the cats we've had. ♥

Dahlonega, GA

Praying for a safe return . The not knowing where is the worst hurt .

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

That is exactly right, digger. Thanks for praying. ♥

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Oh no, please know i am praying for your cat. Our cat got lost about 6 months ago and never returned. I cried for days, searched for day and mourned and then about a month later went to the animal shelter and picked out two female kittens. I still look everyday when I walk the dogs but the kittens have been here since Thanksgiving and are a total hoot First time we have ever had two kittens or cats. First time we have lost a cat except to old age.

So best wishes and prayers for your cat. They have a way of wandering home and I pray that is your result. .

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you so much, Sharon. I do appreciate that. He is so skittish around other people that I wonder if he would ever even seek out another place to eat and call home, and he is so afraid of loud noises. There are acres and acres of woods back there. I call every morning in the early hours when it's quiet. I drive around the area at least three times a day. I leave the deck light on at night. I check the animal control website several times each day even though I know it's probably way to soon for them to have him. I pray. And I cry. I wish I had kept him in all day that day. I beat myself up over that. But he loves to go out and about sometimes. Three years and never a problem with him running away.

People say "it's just a cat". But he has provided us with so much unconditional love and companionship and joy. That's especially important since we can't get out a lot anymore due to DH's health.

Cat behaviorists say to wait at least 3 weeks before you consider a cat to possibly by lost.

I just hate this!!!

It must be very hard to wait and to not know exactly where he is. Given the choice to keep him in where you would feel easy or to give him opportunity to feel free outdoors -- I hope you would make the same choices, because you gave him a gift each time you gave back to him what he gives you --a joyful and light heart. Hopefully he is just a little turned around or just too full of smells and sounds and adventures to follow his instincts home. Keep that porch light on and hopefully he will find his way back to you.

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

I hope your cat comes back home very soon.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you, Elsie. We still have hope.

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

I had a beautiful silver Persian cat named Ronnie. She was a Grand Champion and led the life of royalty and a pampered member of the family. When she was 13 years old we moved to a new house. I was working third shift so my husband and foster son held the fort at night. One night in late September we had a bad storm with high winds and thunder and lightning. When I came home in the morning the front door had blown wide open and Ronnie was gone. She had never been outdoors and probably was terrified by the storm. We spent the day looking, asking neighbors to look, and putting an ad in our weekly "shopper " newspaper. We spent much of everyday searching. We lived in the country on a main highway. Our foster son was especially devastated. He had few good things in his 16 years before coming to us. One of the first things we did was get him in 4-H where he won Grand Champion awards with Ronnie as his project. She was special to him. Time went by and we kept looking. I kept the ad in the paper. It's a free paper given to everyone in a large multicounty area. Almost 4 weeks later I got a phone call. The man said he had seen a cat that sounded like the one I was looking for. It was almost a mile away at the edge of woods on the opposite side of the road. The weather was cold with rain and sleet. We searched the area but saw nothing. I was crying and convinced by now that we would never see her again. My foster son was not going to give up. He went out again. Over an hour later he returned crying "I found her. I found her. " She was wet, filthy, emaciated, and couldn't get enough to drink. We immediately took her to the vet where she was treated for Pneumonia, and dehydration. She had no idea where to find food or water but she survived.
So don't give up and put out the word everywhere you can. It only takes one person to see them and remember someones search.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you for that wonderful story, slvrwilo. It is so encouraging.

I appreciate all the responses here so much. ♥♥♥

Dahlonega, GA

We took a cabin at the lake when I was a kid . Tom went with us . We moved back home three months later and couldn't find Tom . We thought someone had taken him in because he was white and no tail . Beautiful . About two months later he was howling to get in the front door . He had traveled about thirty or thirty five miles to get home . Don't give up hope , just have faith and keep looking . This time of year there are lizards and small mammels to eat . If it runs from him , he will chase and catch it . Still praying .

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

We had a cat just show up in our neighborhood, and I just kinda assumed he belonged to someone here (only 9 houses, kinda far apart) but we found out later that he belonged in a neighborhood down the road, and had been missing for over a month. The people had just moved in, and the cat went roaming one day and didn't come back. Guess he just didn't have his bearings yet, and couldn't get home. Don't give up hope!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Still thinking good thoughts for you and your cat. Tonight would be a good time for a return.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you all so very much. I appreciate the encouragement. I'm making some "Reward" fliers to leave at houses today. There are very few houses down the back way. It's mostly woods behind us but at least I can put out a few fliers. I shine a flashlight into the woods when I'm up during the night hoping to see a little pair of cat eyes. So far nothing.

The neighbor a couple of doors down has an ATV that he rides back there and that noise would definitely be another threat to a cat that never stays out at night and is traumatized by loud noise.

I'm not giving up. He is strongly bonded to us, he's a smart cat, and I know he would try to get home once all the confusion in his brain settled down. Cat behaviorists say lost cats in unfamiliar territory will usually hide out and sleep all day and move around at night when in unusual or threatening circumstances.

Thanks for reminding me about the lizards. He always loves stalking them and that always aggravated me. I never thought it might one day come in handy.

Bless you all. ♥♥♥

I guess the possoms and other critters might make leaving food impossible ..would your neighbor repond to a request to hold off on the ATV for a week? You could follow up in a week and if no return tell him that and maybe on his own he would hold off longer and even help look.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Yes, it's mostly the raccoons that will eat anything left outside. They've been up on the deck when I set the trash out there and had neglected to move it to the big garbage tote for pick up. Garbage all over. :( There are other scavengers as well.

Those neighbors are renters and they sometimes yell and argue a lot over there. They seem a little disagreeable and dysfunctional, if you know what I mean. All the other neighbors are very quiet. The ATV driver is a teenage boy and I'm concerned that he might actually harm the cat if he sees him.

Madison, AL

Cville - do you think it might do some good if you spoke to the boy and told him you are offering a substantial reward for the SAFE return of your cat? Would that enlist his cooperation and help to ensure the cat's safety?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

That's a possibility, stillwood. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure the young man is over there during the week. It might be a situation of visiting a non-custodial parent on the weekends. Unless he has to attend summer school during the day, it seems odd that he wouldn't be riding at other times of the week.

I will keep an eye out for the boy and see if I can talk to him. I'm a little leery because having been a social worker, I know that abused children are often animal abusers. That's my biggest concern.

Oh no. I guess it is better if you stop thinking about the possible scenarios ( you know my comments not meant to upset but mean only the best ) but it is may be hard to keep positive when so many worries and doubts are just a thought away. You just have to have faith in your boy's instincts and good judgement. I think he will come home when he thinks the time is right

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

Years ago my cat Spike went missing. Someone told me their cat was missing for a week. It seems he wandered into the church basement on Sunday and got locked in until the following Sunday. We think my cat Spike was nosy and wandered into the neighbors house or basement. They only came to the house one weekend a month. A month later Spike appeared on my house roof. It was a long, long wait.

I am sure you have contacted the policeand all of the vets in the area.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Not directed at you, Rosie. I try to keep the old mind busy but it's not always possible at this point in time.

Thank you for the encouragement, elsie. So many cat stories! You just never know what their absence may mean. Quite often it means very little since they don't have much concept of time, I don't think.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Come home kitty. We are all ready for you to come home. Big treat waiting for you.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Indeed. ♥♥♥ Thank you, Sharon.

I never in a million years thought he would have done this. He loves his home.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Someone responded to my Craigslist lost pet ad with a possible sighting a little less than a mile away, so I'm very hopeful. Their dogs chased a cat matching the description of Little G, cat ran up a tree. G will climb a tree now and then. When the fella went back to check on it, it was gone. If that's him, I'm praying he didn't run too far in panic mode. There are a few woods behind those houses but also a concrete drainage ditch where you can walk in. I'm waiting until folks are up to go check so they don't shoot me for yelling back there and waking them up. :-/

Now to figure out how to get him if he's there. Encouraging nonetheless.

Fingers crossed

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Rosie. I couldn't get too far in the culvert as the concrete ended and it was mostly big rocks. Nothing you could walk on. But I did call for him. Meanwhile, I left some fliers around that area.

Here's a visual. The green marker is us and the red is the reported sighting location.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

He may be so close. Well that neighbor will definitely be on the lookout

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

We have high hopes for that.

This message was edited May 23, 2014 10:40 AM

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

Take along a few spoonfuls of his favorite food in a baggie and drop little bits here n there. May lure him in or keep him in same neighborhood.

Redwood City, CA

I'm so sorry for your heartache and am crossing fingers that you find your baby. Try driving around at night and calling for him. He could be trapped and for some reason cats seem to feel braver about answering at night. We got two of our lost cats by doing that, even though we had called all day long. Wishing you the very best.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Oh I was so hoping your kitty had come home.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you all. I'm still holding out hope even though it has been almost three weeks. Stranger things have happened - especially with cats. The cat "experts" say don't even consider one lost until after that amount of time has passed.

I do go out sometimes at night and in the wee hours and call him from our back deck. We are up higher than the wooded areas below where he most likely ran and the sound would fall down and travel quite a distance in the quiet of the night. I do know cats most likely hide during the day and come out to move around at night. My husband is disabled and I'm the caregiver so I can't just run out and be gone long any time but especially at night.

Little G has brought us so much love, joy and companionship. We've been fortunate never to have lost a cat before and I'm still very hopeful although thoughts become clouded as time passes. I have gone down and filed a report at Animal Control and check their website daily. Now we wait, hope and pray.

Thank you all for joining us in heart for our search.

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

There is a cat that passes my yard every early morning and late night and he has been doing that for 2 years straight (hot summer months, sometimes rarely see him). He's a smart cat and must know how to take care of himself well out there.

I saw a piece of paper hanging in a Post Office once, about a cat someone in my area lost. I'm currently keeping an eye out for that cat, hoping to see him outside somewhere, for them.

Sometimes if a sweet cat passes someone's yard many times, that person might start putting food out for them at night.

{Hope you are doing ok, Hugs for you}

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you. We do miss him terribly and are still hopeful. He is smart. I just wish there was more we could do besides waiting.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Still praying for his safe return.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank you, YankeeCat!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.