Blooms 2014

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

A few flowers ;

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You have seen these before,

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Bud and blooms

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

more blooms and Buds .

Hobart, IN

Beautiful! You're putting me to shame. My irises are just about ready to open and I already have my plant supports in place. A good year for me for iris blooms - way more than a normal year.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Cindy , thank you for the nice flower comment , no shame to it , I'm farther south and flowers do what they do !
A few more , and good hopes to you about yours there Cindy .

Hobart, IN

And your clematis is already in bloom??? Mine have buds but it'll be at least another week before they open up. What a difference a zone makes.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

What a LOVELY sight on a cloudy/overcast blah day! Thanks for the Beautiful "garden tour," juhur! It put a smile on my face. ^_^

I just spotted your new thread. I don't have much blooming yet and I haven't shot many pics so far.

I do have several Aquilegia (Columbine) starting to bloom and they're thriving this year. In fact I have one that either cross-pollinated with other varieties or else some seeds stayed dormant from one that didn't do well and never returned after the first year. The blooms are a pretty purple-blue.

I only have a few other plants blooming and some with buds. I suspect my S. I. 'Snow Queen' might have buds soon because my neighbor has another variety already blooming in full sun. Mine are in part shade.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

yes Cindy the clematis are both blooming I do not have a pic of the red and the blue I trimmed a little too much , so it is sort of on the ground , new trellis being worked on ,

Hi ya Nuts ,, Good to see ya ! .. Here's yesterday , and the cloudy rainy feel here , with intermittent bursts of a blazing hot sun today .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Very pretty! Love that bright pink.

Today is hot, hot, hot...and humid. I spent a little while outside, but the humidity was a killer.

Hobart, IN

Most of my clematis got trimmed to the ground this spring. I did my usual late winter trim, back to buds that I thought were viable but they really weren't due to cold damage. That's probably set them back a bit. DD had some C. integrefolia (?) in her TN garden that rambled and bloomed among other plants - very pretty effect. My 20+ year old autumn clematis bit the dust this winter. Had it up over a copper arbor. Hopefully a silver lace vine and another clematis will fill in the gaps.
It was hot and humid here yesterday as well and gentle rain last night. Got all veggies but tomatoes planted so the rain was welcome.
nuts - just a reminder that columbine are quite promiscuous when it comes to crossing-pollinating. It's kinda fun to see what the flowers look like when they bloom.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy - you're right and my first thought was cross-pollination, but all my current, assorted Columbines are in reds. Then I remembered I planted three 'Winky Blue & White' from Bluestone several years ago that didn't do well and never came back. I thought maybe the seeds lay dormant and sprouted this year.

I just compared my pictures to Bluestone's and mine are similar, but have more white. So now I don't know. Can Columbine cross pollinate and then not grow for a few years? Whatever, they're pretty and I'll have to upload some pics.

Light rain last night, but we might have thunderstorms over the next 5 days or so. Humidity is intolerable and the bugs are already starting to bite.

Hobart, IN

From my experience, collected columbine seed is viable for several years but I've never been able to keep track of it in the garden because I've planted several different types and let them pop up where they want for the most part.
It was awful again yesterday planting annuals. I really enjoyed that cool front coming in last night except the wind from the north smelled like the steel mills. Too wet today to go tromping through the grass so I'll sit on the patio and plant pots.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I just put out a couple of Japanese Beetle traps to try and save the leaves of my Weeping Cherry and roses this year, but couldn't remember if it was in the beginning of June or July that they started up last year. tigured, with the the crazy winter, nothing is in it's normal cycle this year.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

I wonder if birds eat Japanese beetles or if they eat so many of the grubs that it cuts down on the JB's. We feed the birds and have lots of birds everywhere. Many of them are mainly insect eaters. I see very few JB's in the yard. Could that possibly be a preventative measure?

Here's a pic of this "new" Columbine that came from "who-knows-where". I really like it so I hope it comes back next year. Also some 'Clementine Red' and close-ups of blooms from Polemonium (Jacob's Ladder) 'Stairway to Heaven' and Geranium 'Biokovo'.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nuts) I like the blooms . love em' actually . ah Spring to Summer ,,, Bloom on ! ^_^

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks! ☼

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Some photos from this week

2,3: Columbines from Menards planted last year.
4: Japanese Painted Fern discovered when cleaning out a bed this year brued under weeds and Lambs Ear.
1,5: Pagan Dance TBI

This message was edited Jun 1, 2014 9:12 PM

Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

1,3. Front right side bed as it appears today - over 60 perennials placed wround the house the past three weeks. The Immortality TBI flowers are just starting to come up in this shot.
2, . Immortality Irises in the Beds of Roses bed
4. Mirror gazing ball in a spider - found this year and the only holder that it hasn't blown out of.
5. Audrey 3 - named by us - from artist this year at Chicago Flower and Garden show.

This message was edited Jun 2, 2014 11:10 AM

Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

1. We had brought up a concrete shelf with a goddess face. The melt off from the snow blower re-froze in the garage in the cold temps and cracked apart the piece. Voila - new yard art.
2. Clematis on a bed frame. I just tore up and replanted the bed around it today, where the painted fern in the prior post was found.

Thumbnail by FLStu Thumbnail by FLStu
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous Stu !!! just Gorgeous ,, !!!^_^
Looks like a lot of Fun work ,!!! I really enjoy those iris ! delightful !!!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks juhur. This weekend worked around the planting bed by the Clematis. I also pulled out any Lambs Ear that I could find. That sucker is everywhere. It spreads by seed and runner. Now to keep up pulling any sprouts and missed runners and it will hopefully be erradicated by next season.

Hobart, IN

Loving all of the pics!
nuts - I had a variegated Polemonium but it either reverted or self-sowed non-variegated seed and has all but disappeared, to be replaced by the non-variegated variety. I don't have a lot of luck with the variegated types - they might be a little too fussy about my soil or site choice. I like the 'Clementine Red' columbine - is it as "rosy" as it appears?
FLStu - you have definitely been busy. Lots of different blooms. The bed spring idea is great. Have learned with lamb's ear to cut off the flower stalks as they appear rather than let them bloom. Had given some to neighbor across the street and there are seedlings everywhere in the lawn. And I love the garden art!
Japanese beetles should start in about another week - groan - unless the crazy weather had disrupted their schedule. Ever since we cut down two oaks shading the side yard, the JBs have a clear flight path. They tend to stay in the sun and not venture to the shady parts of the yard.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Goodness... place over 60 perennials around the house over the past three WEEKS, not years.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, Stu...you've been busy and your plants look beautiful! Nice garden art as well - very creative.

I like your Menard's Columbine.
I bought lots of perennials from Menard's several years ago. Not all their stores had a good variety, but I think I caught one store just after they got a truckload. They had beautiful, healthy quart-size perennials for $2.00 each so I did a lot of experimenting. Many I tried only one of and wish I'd bought more. Others I stayed away from because they needed full sun which I have very little of. Every one of them has thrived. Although I've checked many times since, they haven't had as many.

Cindy, I only bought one Polemonium (Menard's) and it has done well in my raised bed, but this year some other plants are starting to crowd it so come autumn I'm going to have to thin out my beds.
Clementine Red is very rosy-red, but it's actually a richer, darker shade than the pictures tend to show. I think it's much prettier in person.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Here's a few pics. I don't have much blooming yet.

1) Native Columbine (I've been saving the seed heads and spreading them around the bed for years. It's finally paying off - they're popping up everywhere.

2) Nepeta is starting to bloom

3) One of my many Heucheras beginning to bloom

4) Biokovo is starting to bloom and the plants are covered with buds

5) Mountain Lily - These are pretty, but they never did well. Only a few blooms pop up here and there.

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Just a few more pics. Many of my plants have pollen sticking to them. It's flying around everywhere.

1 & 2 - Columbine 'Nora Barlow'
3 - another patch of Native Columbine
4 - Salvia 'Eveline'

Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature Thumbnail by nutsaboutnature
Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Nuts... like the native Columbine. Does it cross pollinate with the cultivar?

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

So far it hasn't. I've been letting the seeds drop and also "crunching" the dried seed heads and spreading the seeds around. The new plants all seem to be coming up as Native Columbine.
BTW, the hummers appear to like this one more than other varieties. Possibly because the blooms are more tubular and hang down.

Hobart, IN

Ugh - cottonwood seed fluff. Hate the stuff. Raining hard here so hoping babies aren't going to get smashed.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

This whole area has a lot of Cottonwood trees and we have a huge one in our yard. At times it has looked like it's snowing in slow-motion. Many of my plants look like they're growing fur and the lawn is carpeted with it.

I don't remember it this bad until a few years ago, not sure why.

However...yay! My S.I. Snow Queen started blooming today and there are lots of buds on my Delphinium. No pics yet.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well ! Lots of pretties here to see on this thread ,
Nuts is blooming .. flowers .
penstemon about it with mine,

yes there is cottonwood floating around here along with mayflies .. lol

Thumbnail by juhur7
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur, that Penstemon looks even prettier this year! Such an unusual color combination.

Hah...the Cottonwood "fluff" even follows me into the house!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Nuts I know you prefer or favor Combine , only that Agastache is Nice ! I wish I could grow A few of yours ,,

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur, my first Agastache disappeared after the first year. I think my raised bed, even without full sun, might suit them better because it has better drainage, since they're very susceptible to rotting over winter.

I sure wish that bed was bigger. It's getting really crowded and some plants are bullying others. I'm going to have to start thinning it out.

Hobart, IN

SI 'Snow Queen' is just about done blooming here. I divided my one plant last year into 4 or 5 and I'm getting more blooms. In this crowded bed (gets the most sun from noon to sunset), I like the fact that it's very upright (compared to irises or daylilies) and doesn't take a lot of room. I have to decide if I want to do more editing of perennials in order to grow more veggies but I think I like my flowers too much. I am experimenting with growing Napa cabbage, pak choi, kale and chard in big pots. Nice thing about editing - I pulled out an Amsonia last year because it just didn't like my garden bed, gave it to DD and it's now blooming like crazy.
juhur- that Penstemon has lots of flowers! Do you fertilize your perennials?
Roses are a bit late for me this year because I had to do hard pruning this spring due to winter damage. The blooms will probably make a good feast for the JBs which normally arrive the second week of June. Ugh.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Cindy, it's very encouraging that your Snow Queen did so well after dividing. I once read that S.I. doesn't like to be moved after it gets settled.

I think the Napa cabbage and others you're trying should do very well in pots and if you have a bunny problem it would be easy to put something around them.

Cross your fingers...maybe it will be a slow year for your JBs.

Juhur, I actually LOVE Agastaches. I would grow tons of them all over my yard if I could. They're long-blooming and the hummers, bees and butterflies adore them.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Cindy about all I will do with most of my perennials will be foliage spray real early in the season , rarely anything ,
That Penstemon is growing in mostly pea gravel , that is it's time released fertilizer , like rock dust
Nuts that Agastache is still pretty .

This morning ; #4 is a visitor to my Stinging Nettle
#3 is pretty close to the way it looks

Hobart, IN

I don't have bunnies here for whatever reason. I used to see maybe 1 or 2 and once had a "nest" next to the foundation but haven't seen any in a long time. Maybe they don't like the shade. I had planted some Napa that DD started from seed a month ago in the ground but some little critters have really eaten them up. Same with some radish foliage. The pak choi is loving growing in a big pot with only a few hours of direct sun in the afternoon (hoping to slow any bolting once it gets hot) and isn't suffering from any pests. In an effort to make the Napa pot a little more decorative, I put some 'Red Russian' kale plants in the middle for a bit of color contrast. It is a big pot so I think as I harvest the Napa, the kale will continue to grow. Didn't add flowers since these veggies like their nitrogen and the flowers would need some phosphorus.
As for the JBs, some say that if you can catch the first ones of the season that there won't be as many zeroing in. I'll give it a shot but I'll be limited to Neem derivatives for spraying or catching and drowning them in soapy water.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Beautiful pics, juhur and I also like your visitor!

Have you seen any JBs, Cindy? I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Delphiniums are just starting to bloom and Daylilies are about to. Monarda, and Echinacea are just starting to get buds.

I had to dig out my overly crowded Black-eyed Susan's and spread them out a bit. It was really kind of late in the season to do it and they're much smaller now, so I don't know how many will bloom this year. I'll take some pics as things start blooming.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.