Wild Lupine About halfway bloomed . today

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

oops , above last week , these today ;

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

wow ! Lovely !

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur, did those Lupines just "show up" on their own or did you plant them. They're beautiful!

Most of the plants that just pop up in my yard are either weeds or something invasive...sigh.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I planted them years ago . Every so often they self sow , Starting was somewhat difficult .
only thing that shows up on it's own here like a "real flower" is love-in-a-Mist ..I get blue ones .

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

We did have some native Goldenrod show up last year. Once I learned what it was I realized it grows wild everywhere around here, especially open fields. It was beautiful and the bees and butterflies love it, but now it's popping up all over the place and the roots really spread so I'm pulling the ones I find in my flower beds.

I wouldn't mind one of the smaller cultivated varieties, but I might want to keep it in a pot and cut it down before it spreads seed.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

They're lovely, juhur. What kind of soil are they growing in?
I'm trying to grow lupines even though we don't have the weather or the soil for them. I heavily amended our heavy clay soil with sand and organic garden soil, and put them in a place where they'll have some protection from the afternoon sun. I hope they make it!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Mostly clay , I have a few stepping stones made of concrete that they presently covering near them .
Wild Lupine (Lupine perrennis L . ) occur near rotted Hardwoods and after fires , I don't remember where I read that , But I burned some hardwood sticks and such over where they are five years or so ago . (this is only the second time they have bloomed ) I believe because it is often times too hot , to early the past few years , until this one .
The only two smaller ones that lived from years previous are where I burned some maple branches (in the grill , and threw a cup of ashes where they are now )

The old ones are just about fully bloomed today , this is a couple days ago
Yes soil as un-walked on field earth , with a small cup of hardwood potash , Is as near as I can guess ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Fascinating info and your last shot is gorgeous!

Supposedly soil in the area of a volcanic eruption is incredibly fertile from the ash and minerals. Imagine what you could grow in soil like that...not that I want to live near a volcano.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Your garden is so lush and green, and the Lupines are beautiful. Thanks for the growing tips.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Appreciate the Compliments , both of you , Right now though my garden is a weedy grassy mess ,, Only every once in a while it shows the charm it has ,
The peony behind the Lupine is beginning to get showy , the Foxgloves to this side are still trying , a very few Daylily will be blooming in a few days
The mint behind all that is trying to tower up a bloom or two .
A 5ft tall Fleabane (white) is blooming further to this side with little fleabane and Love in a mist from self sow intermixing on their own ,
Next year I am hoping for Golden Ragwort blooming behind Fleabane and a few more Lupines . There are a few Random lupine back from last year growing beside the blooming and in front of the Peony ,, Next years Hopes ,, trying on ...
Mid summer coneflower , liatris , and rudbeckia will bloom
Fall the wild asters ,,,

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Last one , bloomed a longer time this year .

Thumbnail by juhur7
Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Nice! I can't believe how big your Lupines are. I'm not sure my Lupines are going to make it, but I'm very motivated to try to keep them alive in the hopes that they look like yours someday!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you Muddy1 Their almost 3/4 the size of good mature peony , as big as I have ever seen them this year , cool year was almost perfect
Remember that of the two plants I have shown here , one is a good five years old now , and has only bloomed twice .
The Smaller one , blooming as the last in the pic above , 2 full seasons , Sometimes they return , sometimes not ,
Half day of Sun , Some concrete made stones (stepping) around the root at the surface
Hard to say what or where Wildflowers will grow or what they will like ,
Are these native to Virginia ?

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

They are native to Virginia, but I suspect that their growing conditions in the wild are cooler than in my backyard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.