Shopping for clems?

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

If you're not going for a specific clem that you know, what do you look for when shopping? I'm talking about catalogue/Internet shopping right now, and the info available that way.
Thanks!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd opt for the best company - I'd stick with Brushwood for healthy plants, good value, fast shipping and reliability.

Are you asking a question that applies more to the 3 different groups of clematises, when they bloom, how big the flowers are? Just speaking personally, I go for the photo that impresses me most and then research online at DG and ATP.

Below you can see that paying double does not guarantee a better, healthier plant. It's my own fault that I allowed the one on the right to get root bound. I did tease apart the roots and it is doing very well! I took photo #2 yesterday.

Don't be lured by price!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know I would have been in shock when I saw the one to the left. I am sure you were also. That is just not right. Shipping and selling a plant like that and asking such a price. I stopped ordering from a place that I use to order all the time. When they shipped me a bush, did I say bush, a stick they called a bush for almost 19.00. Yes it lived, but it took 3 years to get to become a bush. I told them I could have bought a real bush for that price. Needless to say I no longer get their emails...lol

How coincidental, Marie. I had dealt with the company that sent the pathetic plant, for many years. When I complained about that clematis they sent another one - identical to the first. Then they made things worse by stating they could substitute for any plant ordered that they no longer had! I haven't dealt with them again.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

They need to state the size of the plant not the pot size and show a picture of what you will be getting, not show a full size plant and send you a teenie tiny version of it.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

I am forewarned! Thank you for the tips; now I can start burying my money, so to speak.

Natick, MA

I am coming in and just reading your clematis post/responses nearly a year later.
I am curious if you will divulge the companies you bought your two (in photo) clems from and Marie, you also?

I responded by Dmail.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Silver Star Vinery has been great for me.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks valal for reminding me of this discussion! And the Clems I got from brushwood last year have already started to bloom this year. They were great plants.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I prefer Dan's at Brushwood or Joy Creek and Garden Crossings

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.