Hummers in the garden

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I had so many humming birds last fall and early this spring. Still have about 8-10 still hear now. I think they have nest close by so I'm keep the feeders fresh and full. I love to watch them in the evenings it is so peaceful in the garden late in the evening.

Thumbnail by WillowWasp Thumbnail by WillowWasp Thumbnail by WillowWasp Thumbnail by WillowWasp Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That sounds Wonderful !!! . ^_^
Thank you for sharing ,, I have seen one glance of one this year so far .

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

my garden is still under construction. I will keep you updated as I finish projects. Right now we are working on the small above ground pond you see in the last photo. Still needing to put rocks and finish it out and then on to other things.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sounds like a lot of work , Spare time moments do get precious .. look forward to seeing the pond . I have enough together to do a small water feature , as soon as I can motivate myself , I really want to finish , only taking me a while ,,
Water grasses? , lillies ? frogs ,? turtles ? Koi ? Goldfish?

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

WillowWasp, What a lovely setting! I can't wait to see the final result. Please post pics along the way. It is always nice to see the work in progress. Will it freeze in the winter?
I have been flirting with the idea of a small water feature. I bought a half barrel last year to use as a tiny water garden. I wanted to start small, you know, just to get my feet wet (pun fully intended!). However, I have not gotten started, so it will probably wait til next year.**sigh**. Some friends gave us a nice kidney shaped pond inset that was in their garage when they bought the house. It is great and I fully intend to install it someday. I want to have some experience (with the half barrel water garden) before I jump into tearing up the yard as well as the expense of a major project. Your above ground idea is giving me a new perspective on the whole thing.

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Willow, where is Jones Creek near ? Houston ?

What types of HB's are in your area?

What materials are you using to make your little pond ?

What are your goals for pond ? Simple beauty, attracting
turtles, frogs, birds ?

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

BajaBlue, Jones Creek is 40 miles west of Houston and 40 miles west of Galveston. It's a small community about 7 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.
Mostly the HB's in my area are the Ruby throated and we see Anna's and Black Chinned. I don't see as well as I use to so now a day's I can pretty much tell it's a hummer but have to get closer or take photos to look at later and maybe ID a Hummer that's not a RT.

My pond will be simple and somewhat small and it's just for Beauty and to keep fish to look at and feed. Nothing like some of the ponds I see on line or here on Daves. To line it I have a really heavy gage black plastic and the pump I haven't purchased yet. Still looking into that one. I've made my own filter system and plan'ts I'm starting now. I got Lotus seed on ebay and they have sprouted and are now in pots. I will add other stuff as I find stuff I like.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

OOOhh! Lotus will be perfect! i am in love with waterlilies too.

This has really lit a fire under my ---. I am going to get my little half barrel and go to work on a water garden. Thanks willowwasp for the inspiration!

I priced pumps a few years ago, and was staggered by the cost. But, It is a case of 'you get what you pay for" and it is not a good deal if it has to be replaced, or fouls up the pond. I reeally want a solar powered pump, since I dont want to run electric outside. The little half barrel can be on my porch, so it would be easy to plug it in. If I ever do build the pond, I want a solar pump.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Scarletbean, You can use the little fountain pumps people use in fountains in the barrels. They are really inexpensive. I had 2 barrel ponds for several years until a tree limb fell on it and broke both of them. I use a coffee can as a filter and cleaned it about every two weeks. I put the pump on the bottom of the filter pad in the can and added lava rock and 2 cut round filter foams for the top one was kinda dense and the other was pretty open. Sometimes I used cleaning scrungies or the plastic scrubbing pads you use for Teflon most of the stuff I purchased at Lowes. Cut holes in the top of the coffee can for the wire to come out and for the tubing, cut several holes in the bottom or sides to let water in. Oh and just in case the lave rock isn't heavy enough I use a couple of 12 oz Fishing weights to weigh it down. I secured the top with zip ties and sink it in the barrel and your in business. You can run the tube an inch or so out of the water so you have some aeration. Don't forget to clean it ever few weeks. Summer time you will have to clean it more often and you might have to add an algaecide to cut down on the green algae. Add a few fish and you have a lovely but cheap water feature.

Newport, TN(Zone 7a)

Woohoo! I am thrilled with the ideas you mentioned. I still have time to enjoy it if I get a move on now. Do you have any pictures of your barrel water gardens?

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I haven't taken any photos yet as I am redoing my flower beds and haven't had time to tend them to much. I will post some later when I get the time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.