Spring / Summer Projects

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

LOVE that idea!!!

Happy Birthday, dear man!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

They really did, I was amazed they came out the first time, let alone the second. I guess they just like having their hand so deep in our pocket.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday to Mr. S-Bean!

Great planter-bench! I keep thinking it would be great to make things from those cinder-blocks, so many things that could be pocket-planted in the holes, but they're heavy!

It's good to see Boss-man having so much FUN with his new place. I hope business has picked up for him, too -- even if we haven't descended on him en masse yet!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Speedie---

Was this YOUR idea???? If it was--YOU GO! It WILL be a main attraction!

I have stacked cinder blocks on my patio (against the house) to hold
my gardening shoes--a roll of paper towels--a small box of Kleenex--
and such. Very convenient...
On top--I have a couple Trex boards remnants to put potted plants on.

This was not a plan--I just ended up having too many blocks .
Had to do something with them.

Give your DH a big hug from me on his Birthday---if you can reach him....:o)

Gita

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Mister Speedie! Many of our projects are going to the backseat for a week or so. I need to get ready for fishin', and with the new used boat, that could be a bit of get ready. Since we are taking the little truck (to pull the boat), I have to check out the A/C to determine if it's feasible to fix it or buy earplugs and cool packs. July traffic at the beach, and no A/C would be no fun, since the 2x60 back-up will not work. LOL

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Glad you are getting some vaycay time! :-)

Speedie, you're right, I can totally picture a scarecrow just lounging on there, amongst some pumpkins, mums, and cornstalk! What a neat project!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Aaaawww, thank you guys for your birthday wishes for my Beloved DH!! He says "Thank you" too! =)

Ric, oh goodness, I hope you can get that a/c fixed, you're so right; no a/c AND the July traffic do not make for happy boat-fellows. < =/ A little floatin', a little fishin'.. aaahhhh!! =)

Critter, Bossman is having a lot of fun with the new business, mostly it's his employees that make his life so pleasant and cheerful! < =D heeheeheheheee

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think we are going to start on the new pond feature pretty soon. Ric sprayed the leaves with a protective coating and laid them out so we could look at placement and get ready to start digging the steps in for them to sit on. Can't wait to see this project finished.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

I love those leaves, Holly! Can't wait to see it when it's all done! :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ric---

If your car A?C does not work--you can always use the 4/50 method......

wait.....wait......(this is supposed to be a joke).....wait a little more........

All 4 windows down and driving 50mph.

Haaa...Haaa.... Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly---

Those laves will be stunning in your water feature! SO cool!

Do you also plan to enlarge the receiving pond? It looks dwarfed with all
the waterfall stuff....(the leaves)...I like many others can't wait to see it...

Nothing like hosting a swap to get all kinds of things done...right?
And--HOW we all appreciate it!

G.

Wow, those leaves are so much bigger than I thought! What a gorgeous piece of art!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh yea, the biggest is about 4ft long

Oh Holly and Ric, those leaves are GORGEOUS!!! I'm with the rest of the group; can't WAIT to see it when it's all done!! =)

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

excellent leaves!! I'm sure they are even more awesome to see in person. Had no idea they were that huge. Where did you get leaves to do the imprint so big?

my mosaic watering can is coming along slow but sure

Thumbnail by wind
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Wind we grew the leaves. They are the Port Adora Allocisia leaves that we grow each summer. We didn't even use the biggest leaves. Love the watering can.

Holly, those are sure huge leaves!

Adorable photo, Wind--love the kitty.

wow Holly, that makes the project all the more special!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

super cool, holly!!

Wind, I really love the job you're doing on the watering can, and what a great pic of the kitty!!! "Hmmmm Mommy, whatcha got in here? Anything for meee??" < =D

I love that watering can, and what a cute kitty!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Almost done with the boat work, which will make Holly happy. Then she can put me back to work. LOL I post some pics when I get a chance.
As she said, it's a new old boat, it's only 14 years old. My old boat was 53 years old, with the original motor till last year. I at one time did buy another, about 7 years ago. Hoping for a retirement boat. True to the saying, it was just a hole in the water to throw your money in. I was much more practical this time. A good many years ago, I did buy another, just for the trailer, I sold the motor and gave away the boat and had an almost free trailer. I'll probably get started on the truck tomorrow.
Gita, It must have been awhile since you've been to the beach! 4x50 or 2x60 ac will not work in beach traffic. The last 20-25 miles may take 2-3 hours, on the sun baked highway.

Thumbnail by Ric_of_MAF
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

It has been an eternity that I spent any time on a beach....

Just one of the things that had it's day....now long gone....
The partying and drinking and spending ONE glorious day a year on the beach
is the stuff of my memories--and about a hundred others-- in our hay day.

The Estonian Sports days in Lakewood NJ. That's where it all happened...
Totally memorable!!!!
G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I nearly have the boat ready. I wish I'd have taken some before pics, as I will probably post a few after shots of the after result. It has been my part time project for about a week. I sometimes regret the jobs that take me away from my yardening. I could easily spend all my time outside and doing related projects dedicated strictly to the gardens. Sometimes I wish I were a "snowbird", so I could garden year round.

Snowbird= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowbird_%28people%29

Looking forward to seeing the pics, Ric! :-) Sounds like quite a project.

Snowbird--they have tons of those in Arizona!! ;-)

I just finished a project that I'm very excited to share with you all!

The side walkway in my garden was very muddy and rocky. I tried to grow ajuga there (since grass refused to grow) but most of it died last year due to a root rot disease that spread through my garden.

I had Meadows Farms put in a paver walkway today and now it looks sooo much better! I'll post before/after pictures when we're able to post multiple pics again.

I did lose a few plants, though. I couldn't be home when they were actually digging up the area, or I would have saved them. Sadly I lost one of the new Lady in Black asters and several hellebores, including a black-flowering one that I loved. :( I also lost the only remaining Chocolate Chip Ajuga. I may be asking for a small start of it at the fall swap!

can't wait to see!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I can dig you a piece of Chocolate Chip Ajuga... mine has been spreading slowly and nicely in front of Sally's "Bubby Bush" -- 2 treasured plants in my garden!

Thanks, Jill!

Here are the before pics of the muddy side pathway.

With uneven and dangerous pavers!

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

Pavers that are actually safe to walk on!

The trash can area isn't exactly what I imagined. I didn't think they were going to put those large stones there. I might move them and use them elsewhere.

You can see where they buried the downspout and dug up the plants to do so. Now I have to fill the spot with more plants! :)

Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener Thumbnail by ssgardener

Very cool, SSG--much nicer and safer! Looks like they did a good job.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Oh SSG sooooo happy for you! It's been a long time coming! That muddy walkway where few plants would grow is one of the first "what in the world can I do here?" situations I tried to address.
Pavers are such a good solution as they will be 'level' to walk on and roll the garbage can and anything else from back to front. Makes it so much less of an 'expidition'. And it IS beautiful.

I'd love to gift you another Lady in Black to grow there if you'd like.

Happy dance for you.

Judy

Thanks, coleup and catmint!

Coleup, thank you so much for the offer! I realized today I have a Lady in Black in a weird spot (under the Pinky Winky) that needs more room, so it'll probably go in the empty spot.

love it!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

SSG - that turned out nice!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Very nice, SSG! I agree, those big stones by the trash cans don't really add much there...

Look out, that side walkway is now an even better place for plant/bulb sorting... you may have to host another pick-up party sometime!

Thanks, Terri and Jill!

Jill, I was thinking the same thing! The perfect place for setting out bulbs to be sorted! LOL

I know, those edging stones are huge! The designer showed me square edgers surrounding the area, but I thought they were going to be flat, not raised, and I thought they'd be half the size. The good thing is that we can now use the stones elsewhere in the garden for edging. :)

SSG the pavers look great! I like the color tone of them too - very nice! You must love it. We had hoped to get a small area for a patio done this year, but we put it $$$ off for now.

I had a chance to work on my mosaic watering can craft project today. I picked up a metal frog and dragonfly to put on it when we were in the Adirondacks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.