Spring / Summer Projects

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Diana, that'll make the watering can even more personal, sounds great.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Wind! That's the only color they had on sale, so I'm glad it goes with the brick house! I think $11 a square foot was a pretty good deal.

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

my froggy and dragonfly

this mosaic project has been a fun summer-long project for me. I can count on one hand the number of times that I've actually sat down and glued on pieces; each of those few times has been relaxing and enjoyable as craft projects should be. Maybe I'll glue a few more pieces on today.

I'm out watering now - beautiful day, but the gardens are pretty dry around here.

Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Wind--
That is so pretty!!! Love all the colors ans appliques.

NOW--are you REALLY going to use it to water???? Me thinks not.
What will be the function of this decorated can? How will you use it?

Have to start thinking on what I will put on MY stepping stone at the swap...

G.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

SSG, the path looks really nice. Much neater, I remember how unhappy you were with that area. Much better now.
Wind just love that watering can. Just getting better and better.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for letting us follow along as you create art on that watering can! It's nice to hear about a project that was accomplished over time, more realistic for most of us to attempt than an equally stunning piece seemingly created overnight. I can't wait to see a time-lapse photo sequence in an article...

LOL...my projects over time often last for years and years....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like our house Sally. LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

You mean projects DO get finished? YAY!! I have something to look forward to.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well Jan some projects get finished and then some just kind of fade away. LOL

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Don't I know it. Hehehehe

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And--many projects once started--give birth to many other projects---
and that is why nothing ever gets finished.

All my projects go that route,,,,much of it due to my ADD
G.

Got a new project for you Holly , ( for all the non blue wine bottles...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M1ERPKMEb8

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sally I like that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, very cool rain chain! In following that link, I also came across a method for evenly cutting bottles... rotate bottle & score lightly with a glass cutter, then gradually heat up scored line with boiling from a teakettle to gently stress the glass, then use cold tap water to complete the thermal shock & separate the top/bottom pieces. So, in case you're getting bored this winter -- there you go!

nice, great glass 'cutting' method, Jill
One thing though, that would be one heavy rain chain!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, I thought about the weight, too... and it occurred to me that I could do something similar with the cut-off tops of 1 or 2 liter bottles, after using them for winter sowing! It would be a cute way to store bottom-less plastic bottles for use as cloches, too... wonder how long they'd last...

Some of that plastic is really durable, several years of weather till they start to crack up.
That sounds like a super way to store a bunch of cloches, string em like fish.

I guess you could paint the plastic bottles. Maybe a mix of bright colors would be so blatantly repurposing as to be cute.

Pinterest, Youtube etc has rain chain craft ideas of course- tiny flowerpots! tiny tin buckets from $ store!

One of the rain chain pix showed a splash block of molded EE leaves, similar idea ( but not as nice!!) as Ric's leaves in the pond.

TIme is ticking for me to take advantage of this years crop of leaves to cover in concrete. I don't see it happening.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi everyone! Here's what I am doing this winter for next summer. Holly, Is there any reason we couldn't do a workshop with glass plate flowers at the HGA picnic for 2015. We WILL be at the picnic!

Thumbnail by Buttoneer Thumbnail by Buttoneer Thumbnail by Buttoneer Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Judy--

Your work is always spectacular! Keep it up!

Are the Glass Plate Flower pieces uses for anything other than just display?
Like--serving cookies, candy, or such?

PS--I voted for your picture in the Photo Contest.....:o)

Gita

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, Gita. There i no reason you couldn't use them for candy, cookies or chips & dips. Which picture was it?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Button--you were holding your white Pooch...

Did not see another one--unless you posted something w/o your picture.

This years photos really disappointed me. So many were out of focus!
So much for taking pictures with your Smart Phone---and then submitting them.

There were pictures sideways and upside-down too.
Geesh! You would think people would know better....

Best--Gita

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh I thought you were talking about my funny picture of me getting hooked up for the sleep study.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

button---
How could YOU have taken a picture of yourself?
Photos one submits have to be pictures taken by that person---right?
I guess if your SO took it--it is OK.

Of course--you did nit take the picture of YOu and the Poch either...

This is getting complicated.....G.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

How does one take a selfie? With a timer, natch!

haha Buttoneer, if anyone would take a selfie in such a funny situation, it would be you!

That Weird and Funny category was worth the time, LOTS of interesting or funny pictures

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--did you see my Big A-- tomato?

Thought o would submit it G

yes I did , very cute. And nice tasteful, not too specific (which kind of cheeks) caption!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

The glass plate flowers are allso fpr use in the garden... a flat-sided bottle glued to the back gives you a p;lace to insert a sturdy stake (up the neck of the bottle).

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, the Glass Plate Flowers are mostly used as Garden Art as Critter said you put a flat sided bottle on the back and then sit them on a metal or plastic stake. The sun shines thru and they are very pretty. I've seen them with wires on the back so you can hang them on walls or fences.
Buttoneer, They sure look nice. You have such a great eye when it comes to putting them together. You should suggest them for the picnic next year. They don't take very long to put together, certainly not as long as some of our other projects.and the glue wouldn't completely set up before we take them home which means that they might shift or slide a little by the time they get home. But they sure are fun to make and I don't know if they have any other ideas for the picnic project.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.