Thoughts as to what this is?

Athens, PA

I have not seen this before. The leaves on Prince Charles look rather strange. Any ideas as to what this is and what I need to do to help PC?

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Sorry, Carolyn, I've never encountered that problem. Maybe you could Email the photo to your local Cooperative Extension office and they can advise you. Let us know what the outcome is, please.

Athens, PA

Thanks Arlene.

Athens, PA

Do you think this looks like the picture I posted?

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-disease-mottling.cfm

Yes, I do. I'd rather cut it to the ground then dig it up and destroy it. At least you'd be giving it one more shot with new growth. Some Ironite might help.

Athens, PA

I am going to cut it to the ground, Arlene. I can always take it out later if it continues to be a problem. I was under the impression that generally the following year, the plant comes back alright.

What is ironite and where would I get it? Do you think it is a chlorosis?

My guess is that it is chlorosis and Ironite (available at many nurseries) generally is the remedy for the chlorotic plant.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ironite-Plus-3-lb-12-10-10-Plant-Food-100099053/202817737?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202817737&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202817737&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969

Before you cut it back, give the Ironite a try. At $6.97 it isn't a $50.00 hopeful cure and you'd spot the new leaves and their coloring, within a short time instead of wondering about it for a year.

Athens, PA

I will give it a try Arlene. I think I may even have some plant food that is high in iron somewhere....

I will let you know.

Thanks ^_^

I hope it all works out for you, Carolyn.

Athens, PA

Thanks Arlene.

Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

We have a lot of coleche in our soil. It is just a soft limestone. I use a product called Milorganite on all flowers and grass. It is an iron supplement too. I find it at Lowe's. Don't know if you have Lowe's in your area or not. I have many plants that look like that from time to time and a shot of iron helps them within a couple of weeks.

Athens, PA

Bev

we do have a Lowes. I will try this before cutting back PC

Thank you

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.