Unexpected combination that works

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I planted some Allium Schubertii for the first time last fall. Happily I placed them right beside Dianthus "Firewitch". Wow. Now I think I'll add some Elijah Blue fescue to mimic the blue foliage of the dianthus and I'll have something special. Goes to show you that good luck and good management look the same.

Thumbnail by rteets
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Kinda looks like the 4th of July in pink!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, how great! A beautiful combination.Those little Allium sparklers are great with the Dianthus. Do you have trouble with that Allium schubertii reseeding too generously? I had Allium 'Hair' and it got carried away.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Wow is right. It's great.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't know if they'll get away or not. This is the first year for them. I hope they do reseed, though. I would like some more of them and they are rather expensive. I was actually considering Allium Hair. Do you like them? Would you plant them agai

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Allium 'Hair' was very, very cute. I like oddball plants and it was definitely oddball! It wasn't huge and "in your face," but rather a little shorter and a little more modest than the monster truck Alliums that I lust after in the catalogs. Most people wouldn't notice it and would walk right by, but those who saw it definitely did a double-take. That was fun! And it really did look like it had poked itself in a light socket. What I did not realize is that it reseeds very prolifically. I had 10 the first year, 20 the second year, 80 the third year, 500 the next year. (Maybe a slight exaggeration but not by much!) At that point I started to panic and try to get rid of them in earnest. They grew thickly together like blades of grass. They had a bulb under the ground that hung on when I tried to pull them up, so they would often break off, and then of course would regrow.
If I knew then what I know now, I would plant some just for fun for awhile, and I would never, ever let one go to seed. Then, after a few years, I'd get rid of them (because I know I would get lax in cleanup after a few years).
If you still want them after this, I will be happy to go poke around and find a few stragglers hiding here and there and send the bulbs to you. Just send me a Dmail. ;-)
All the best,
Alice

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Love the combo. I am always trying to figure out if two flowers will bloom at the same time. It's a hit and miss for me. Nice to know. Thanks for sharing your picture.

I agree with Birder17. It is not always easy to find plants that work together and bloom at the same time. This is why I now get my inspiration from others and stop being "creative".

For instance, I use this site which includes plenty of border ideas, created by experienced designers and landscapers. It is for all areas, hardiness zones, blooming seasons, etc.

https://www.jardins-sans-secret.com/category/1037/Beds-Borders.html?f=0&append=1&ps=100

A very useful resource!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Isamaenton, what a great website. Thanks for sharing it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.