Cheiranthus allionii

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

This is actually a biennial.

I started this plant from seed last fall out side in a raised bed. It has truly been a delight. It started blooming in March when there's very few flowers other than bulbs blooming. It was quite pleasing to look outside in the cold weather with almost nothing blooming and see this one so bright and cheery. It is still blooming-hasn't missed one day.
It doesn't fall down in the rain.
It's just been a joy to have in my garden. I thought I would share this flower with you. I don't think it's a very common flower.
I believe it would look really nice with daffodils, blue Iris, crocus, dutch iris, and more. While the latter mentioned flower blooms have come and gone, this one is still going.

It's been blooming from March to June 16. It's a winner in my books!

Here's a couple of pictures:

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I noticed it has just started blooming again!

(Zone 4b)

'birder', I love reading reports like this...I have put this on my "to get" list for next season.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi rouge21. Finally, someone has noticed this neat little flower. It has been sheer delight to grow.

Because it is a biennial, I grew it last fall and planted the little plants in September, so they would bloom the following spring. Outsidepride website says it's a perennial in warmer climates. (grows in zones 3-9). I'm zone 6b. I am not sure if the same plants are there or if they re-seeded. I think the latter.

I gathered seed and could share some if you would like? I intend to grow more of this neat little plant.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful! Is this now classified as Cheiranthus allionii?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Cville: Good Question!

The website I discovered this plant and purchased the seed from called it Chierianthus allionii. It has been re-classified as Erysimum cheiri.

Glad you pointed that out.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I just got a new packet of seed listed as Wallflower (Siberian), on the back of the packet it's listed as (Cherianthus allonii). Perennial , 1/4" depth, thin to 12", s/pt. shd, 12-18". I started one indoors under lights and got germination in 4 days., also a notation of fragrance, made notes that it's perennial/biennial, but if the gals here say it's a bienn...probably so...it's new to me. Also the packet says it can be sown insitu......spring or fall. Livingston Seed, 830 Kinner Rd., Columbus, Ohio 43212, I got mine at a local nursery that sells Livingston Seed.....

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

I believe it is now classified as Cheiranthus allionii . But who knows when the names will change again. :)

Happy Holidays!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Merry Christmas to you also!
Kathy, I would have sent you some seed. I think you will enjoy it, and it should be quite happy in your area as it likes a little cooler weather.

Edited to add:
I have found this seed on several websites. Outsidepride, Diane's Seeds, and Thompson and Morgan comes to mind. Outsidepride sells copious amounts of seed, and each package is $5.00. They have a lot of variety of seeds.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2014 9:38 AM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, Merry Christmas to all...and a white holiday here (8" tomorrow night)

(Zone 4b)

'birder', I am looking forward to having your Cherianthus allonii in our garden next season. I was outside today deciding where to plant it.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

birder...lol, should have told me that before I got the packet....(in 2013) LOL.. But they say it's the thought...thank you!

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, I did and also got a nice blanket of fresh snow 3" so far and another couple of inches today...Yeah!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I wish I knew you wanted some C. a. seed. :)

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL!!! It was the spur of the moment type thing when I picked up the packet....it was yelling at me from the seed rack...TAKE ME HOME...lol.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

lol.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh Kathy, I understand those "yells"!
I just like to share if I have something someone may want.
I am as guilty as anyone buying seed w/o asking around first. I am the poorest.
Have a great productive New Year and a good growing season!
I'm glad you are going to try the Chierianthus allonii. It's a fun little plant. I am glad I discovered it. It's given me much pleasure. I took a stroll through my yard a couple of days ago. It's still evergreen and looks very happy.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Will they last more than 1 year? I know I had only one plant out there and it bloomed off and on this past season and I never deadheaded it........

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Kathy, the description says "sometimes a perennial" but usually considered a biennial. I believe mine are "new" plants that came from dropped seed. Next summer will be my second year of growing this plant.
I started mine in the fall, so it would bloom the following spring allowing it to be a biennial. So, this "fall", I had new plants that re-seeded, I think it will bloom again in the spring.They did start to bloom early November when the weather turned cool. We're getting a cold(er) snap in the next couple of days. I'll let you know what happens to them after the cold snap predicted to be 18*.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Ok, was wondering packet says it's perenn. Cold...ha ha ha, last night it dipped to MINUS 18 or 19*, then it warmed to -13* for the rest of the night. Today it warmed to mid 20*S above...seemed warmer..lol. Got a nice blanket of snow tho.....5" of new snow in the past 2 days...on top of 4+".... Now that's burry......lol.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Brrrr! Now, that's Cold! Okay, I'm a wus! :)
We have had a sprinkle of snow in November. Nothing since then, and I am happy about that. Roads get slick and dangerous.
I lifted some Heuchera 'Georgia Peach' today. They looked like they were sinking into the soil. I was afraid they would get crown rot, Mulched them and then watered. I hope they will be okay. The plants came up in clumps, so I think they will make it.. Of course, while I was out there, I pulled all of the weeds in that flower bed. I can't believe those stinking weeds were just a green and happy as they could be with healthy roots. Some of the soil was frozen about a half inch
I didn't think to look at my Cheiranthus allonii today. I will check it out tomorrow.

Rouge, I hope you like you new plants. They bloom for a really long time. Mine are in good soil, good draniage, and rec'd water when needed. I did not deadhead them. I wanted to collect seed which became available around late August, if I remember correctly.

I am going to start some more this spring. I think I will WS some and see how that works. If they don't do well WS, I may do some outside in the Early Spring. I think they will be quite happy to WS; they really do well in the cool weather. Mine were blooming in early March and again in November. They would do really well with daffodils. I want to grow some to put with the daffodils. That was my original intention. I first grew them in a raised bed. They were new to me, and I wanted to see how they behaved before I planted them around in my gardens. Now, I would like to plant them in a lot of places!

The very best time to start these from seed is mid August. By September, they will be big enough to plant out and develop a good root system before it gets too cold. Then, in the spring, they will bloom for a long time: March to June and again, in November. Wow! It's pretty good for a biennial-almost like an annual.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Birder, that is a pretty flower. It reminds me of Aurinia saxatilis (Alyssum saxatilis) basket of gold. Another whose name have been classified. I was going to grow it until I discovered it is no hardy in my zone. So I grow Alyssum instead.

According to my Western Garden book it is called Erysimum cheiri from Cheiranthus cheiri (English Wallflower). Perennial from zone 6. Mainly grown as an biennial or annual. In coastal Pacific Northwest may bloom year around.

I have found that if dead flowers are removed, plants will often bloom again. I do that with all perennials except iris and daylilies since I want the seeds. Plants have to set a certain amount of seeds to assure the species, the reason they will rebloom.

I wonder why and who re-classifies plant names. It just makes it more confusing.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi Blomma,
I have both the Aurinia saxatilis and the Cherinathus allonii or Erysimum cheiri. The seed source I purchased the seed from called it Cherianthus allonii. I believe you are right regarding the name change. I hate it that I have learned it as Cherianthus now, I have to re-learn the new name. :(
The Aurinia saxatilis looks quite different from the Cherianthus a. The flowers on the latter are much larger. Blooms really look like Phlox paniculata.

I looked up several sources, and they say this flower is hardy to zone 3.
It re-seeds gently so isn't a nuisance as of yet. I like this little plant so well I am going to put it in several places.

Here's some interesting information about this plant regarding the name. Scroll down to the bottom and read about the Identity Crisis and Nomenclature.

http://www.seedaholic.com/erysimum-allioni-siberian-wallflower-cheiranthus.html

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Great info, marked the site for future reference,

I started some seed a few days ago (3), just looked and it appears as one is already sprouting and the rest look nice and plump and ready to break open soon any day now. Am thinking I might plant them with a patch of Hemerocallis Hyperion. I'm also thinking about adding some Errysimum to the grouping. Last summer I picked up Erysimum: cheri Charity Scarlet, c. Charity Rose, c. Charity Scarlet and linifolium Bowels Mauve. Glad I collected some seed (tag said most were perenn.) I had picked these up for $1 each.

Here's a pix of my Aurinia saxatilis, I started this from seed a few years back, think I need to collect seed and start more as it gets a bit woody and not sure how long it will continue to bloom. Yummy fragrance tho.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Kathy, Your Aurinia saxatilis (basket of gold) looks like it is finished blooming. If you had cut the dead flowers it could bloom again. That is what I do since I don't want the seeds. It self sows gently. Also comes true from seed.

Thumbnail by blomma
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, yours looks great!!!!! Yup, it was just finishing. I didn't know it would rebloom, ok, will do deadheading this year! How old are your plants? Do you find that they get woody for you also?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Kathy, are we talking about the same species? Cherianthus synonym Erysimum??
If so, the Cherianthus (Erysimum) will be pretty much through blooming by the time the Hemerocallis Hyperion start blooming.
I love the H. Hyperion. I have it as a border all along the road. It puts on quite a show and is fragrant. So pretty. Hyperion is one of my last daylilies to bloom. That would be late July for me. Cherianthus is finished by early June. The latter gets about 12 inches tall. I think it would be nice with late daffodils, tullips, allium, myosotis. There's not a lot of flowers that bloom in the early-mid spring period other than bulbs. That is one of the highlights of this plant.

My Allyssum saxatilis get woody also. I haven't cut mine back either-but will this year. Also, I learned to cut back Iberis (candytuft).

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

The ones that I picked up last season: Erysimum the Charity Scarlet, Charity Rose bloom June/July according to the tag (z5). And the E. linifolium Bowles Mauve says May-Sept. if deadheaded (z5). Also here at 6800-6900 ft where I am can sometimes extend blooming season for those plants that like blooming in cooler weather.. rarely does it get too much above 90* and that's not til August-ish. My Viola Johnny Jump Ups go the whole summer, where I think most on the lower altitudes is ended by June-ish. I also get extended bloom on my Gypsophila repens til July or even later, and down lower it's done by late June. Fingers are crossed..

So the orange one that this thread is about will finish by e, June? Correct.?..lol. The one that I had started last spring and then planted out in a holding bed, began bloom late last summer til the first snow and hard freeze about mid November-ish. Just looked and so far have about a dozen or so that have sprouted now, which were started on 1/24/15.

Speaking of Iberis...does anyone have Iberis sempervirens Autumn Beauty or Autumn Snow, which are spring and fall bloomers? Would love some seed or trade for a plant....

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Quote from warriorswisdomkathy :
Wow, yours looks great!!!!! Yup, it was just finishing. I didn't know it would rebloom, ok, will do deadheading this year! How old are your plants? Do you find that they get woody for you also?

Kathy, sorry I just saw your question. My plant is probably 5 or more old. I have several. Yes they get woody which is natural for them. Although classified as a perennial, it is also a small shrub. I deadhead after the first bloom and then in the Fall it gets almost a scalping. Cutting into the woody stems won't hurt it. It will sprout anew come Spring, and even bloom.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm surprised it hasn't done any reseeding for me since I don't always get it deadheaded.....lol. Seems to me it's about the time that the weeds wake up for the season.. Have you ever tried rooting any of the cuttings (woody stems)?

I seeded 2 pots of the Cheirianthus alllonii and both have germinated quickly (2 days). Am looking forward to adding them to the garden this season!!! YEAH!!!

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Kathy,
You can harvest the seeds when they are ready. Last year I had to pull out a lot of seedlings because I didn't deadhead in time.

No, I have never tried rooting the cuttings. If any would root, it would be the softer/new stems.

Below they are growing along my driveway. Of the 2 growing in the back of the photo, the one on the right is self sown. Sort of missed the target of the border. Didn't have the heart to move it.

Birder17,
The Siberian Wallflower is Erysimum x allionii in my Western Garden Book. It is a branching plant 1.5 ft tall. A perennial that is grown as an annual or biennial. There are 5 varieties in this genus. Not hardy in my zone 4.

Thumbnail by blomma Thumbnail by blomma
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Usually plants that "are perennials but grow like a biennial or annual are ones that grow in the south as perennials. But, the Erysimum x allonii likes "cool" weather. So, I don't get it.

Your Allysum saxatillis is gorgeous. I wish mine looked like that!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, yum blomma, that has got to be the most fragrant part of the yard.........

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

anyone have any of the Cherianthus allonii seeds that I Might try in my gardens aways looking for new type to plant Kathy think i might have to visit your gardens one day :) when is the best time for Blooms :) My Niece told me she was taken me on a road trip this year where ever i wanted to go & when ever
wish I could visit everyones gardens :)
sure would like to try these wallflowers.

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

Kathy, it would be fragrant if I could make it down on my knees to smell them, LOL. That has gotten hard to do lately.

The plant i the photo on the right of the walk is the one that made babies all over. I finally moved it to my DD house for it is in the border where my iris stock plants are planted.

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

any one tell me if the Cherianthus allonii plant will flower the same year you plant the seeds ?

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi deejay. I probably have some seed to share with you. I haven't looked lately-but will soon.
From my experience with this plant, it is a biennial which, of course, means you plant it and the following year, it blooms.
I started my seed in August. By September, the plants were big enough to plant outside to get established before winter. Then, the following "early" Spring, they bloomed for a very long time. Then, they reseeded and started to bloom in November.
I checked on these "reseeded" plants this past week. They are about 8 inches tall and evergreen. They look happy, but then, they have looked happy every time throughout the year when I check on them with little care (water in the hot summer).
They are in a raised bed where the soil is about 8 inches below the top of the edge of the raised bed. I point this out because they are getting some protection down in the raised bed. I plan on moving them early spring amongst my daffodils that are already up anywhere from 2 inches to 1/2 inch. I also plan on starting more from seed. The blooms will look good with daffodils, or early blooming purple tulips, blue hyacinths, myositis. Really anything blue would look great.
Since they are biennials, they grow one season and bloom the following one--then, they die.. These plants love cool weather which is obvious if they are still evergreen in my zone 6b garden now. I believe it is best to start this plant in the fall to bloom the following spring. They will bloom early and for a long time. If you start them in the Spring, by the time they are big enough; the weather "may" be too warm to bloom for very long--at least in my zone 6b garden. So, I think the best time to sow the seed for me is in the fall.
After you once get them started in your garden, they should gently re-seed for you and should bloom each spring.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

deejay, I have extra seed of the Erysimum allionii aka Cherieanthus alllionii if you still want some??

Casper, WY(Zone 4a)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 1:45 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.