Gulf Fritillary caterpillars

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone, there is a new member who posted on the Welcome Mat thread (not a subscriber) who is asking where they can purchase Gulf Fritillary caterpillars. If anyone can help him, please post a reply here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1365321/

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

If he plants a passiflora vine common to his area, he can have all the GF pillars he wants for free. A lot depends on where he lives.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

He said he has passiflora, but hasn't seen the caterpillars this year.

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

So he lives somewhere GFs are common, but is not seeing them this year. I have seen very few, and none within the last couple of months. I can speculate that it may be because the rainy season in tropical Mexico last year bombarded us with more rain than any time in the meterological history of the country. We had two hurricanes (one from the Pacific and one from the Atlantic) hit on the same day. The rainy season that normally ends mid-October, lasted all through November and part of December. I cannot help but think this took a toll on any number of butterfly populations.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you for that information, vitrsna. Yes, that does make sense. I'm sorry you had to endure such extreme weather!

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

The butterflies we are missing will rebuild their numbers but we may need a little patience. Already in my garden the Giant Swallowtails and the Queen Monarchs and Opsiphanes have started rebuilding and i am getting good results. My passiflora is pruned down, but there are plenty of wild passiflora here to feed the GFs and other Heliconia.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm glad they're making a comeback!

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Mt. Magazine Butterfly Festival is this weekend. Last Friday I delivered my entries for the photography contest and on the way I noticed a male Diana fritillary nectaring a butterfly weed. Oh joy!!! Didn't wreck but I sure scared the water out of my passenger. Got lots of nice pictures.
Yesterday I visited the MG'ers Learning Fields wildflower area which is about 2 miles away. Second surprise. two lady Dianas were busy nectaring bee balm. Lucky me to see both male and female Diana fritillaries. Such lovely butterflies. Just plant violets on my final real estate.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

OOPs, wrong thread.

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

That's okay, your photos are wonderful!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

KY, when I first planted my vine it grew like wildfire but didn't have any cats. A person several miles out of town was saying how many cats were on their vines an eating them down. I asked about getting some from her and she said she was coming to FW in a few days. She came and brought me about 20 cats on a bouquet of vines. Since we introduced those, they come every year!
Put a request out on Craig's List for them, you may get more than you want!

Bellevue, KY(Zone 6a)

I'll tell them, thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.