Got Cats

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Have about 6 cats on the fennel. Do I need to net them to keep safe, they are out in the garden. I'm so excited. Thanks. Dorothy

Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner
Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

OOOOh! looks like you have some black swallowtail caterpillars there. Congratulations, these caterpillars are so beautiful! It looks like they are mature and maybe it won't be long before they start to pupate. The caterpillars are most vulnerable during pupation, although being pretty close to the bottom of the food chain, they are vulnerable all the time but when they are pupating they loose their ways of self defense. There are all sorts of different ideas about whether to protect them or let nature take its course. If these are your first, you might want to opt for some sort of protection for them. There are so many ways to do this, both indoors and outdoors. Hopefully you will hear a variety of methods from the people on this forum and then choose a method (or make up one of your own) that you feel comfortable with. It is such a beautiful process to be able to watch.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The containers all have the in common of lots of light and lots of air circulation ,
Nice Cats !!! I have them often , only not as many the past few seasons .

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I've decided to put a net around the fennel. I hope this doesn't interfere with the process. Will keep updates on progress. I'm really excited. As a sidebar, we have birds that have nested in, get this, the bottlebrush shrub and there are chicks. That's mostly why I want to net the cats. Dorothy

Colima, Mexico(Zone 11)

Hum...doesn't look like you have received much of a response. On the "daily photos" thread people have described their methods of protecting caterpillars so you might want to look at some of those posts.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Bird netting? or tulle, but grass spiders and wasps go after them too, mine get to feel Mother Natures measures, but my fernleaf dill is surrounded by salvias and asparagus ferned out, basils and this year zinnias, and there are muscadine grapes in the yaupons with many bird loving munchies as well, many make it to glory...

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Kittriana, I use bird netting. Going to check "daily photos" as suggested by Vitrsna. Hopeful to get some good advise. Thank you for your response. Dorothy

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Checked out the sticky thread on this forum and it was most helpful. Did not know there were so many ways to make cat enclosures. I really like the mesh laundry bag. I have bird netting around them now and they are getting really big. Will post another bunch of photos later. Thank you. Dorothy

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Cats are growing up.

Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner Thumbnail by floridagardner
Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

sweet ! Congratulations.

Isnt Life wonderful !?!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.